Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 02:05 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
What I know is that when I watch television programs, movies, documentaries, etc that take place in any European country and the locals appear on there, that you will sometimes find very good looking and healthy looking people, until they smile...there is serious discoloration to their teeth, and a lot of crookedness. I just don't believe that Europeans invest the same amount of care into dental hygiene and straightening as what Americans do.
Most don't spend thousands of dollars on unnecessary orthodontia, like Americans do. Orthodontia in the US is a racket. Orthodontists have models in their offices that are anatomically incorrect, in order to convince parents that their kids need work in order to "correct" their overbite. But an overbite is a hallmark of Indo-European skulls. It's normal.

Nowadays, though, perfectly straight teeth have become a fetish. The beauty industry has really taken hold of the nation's psyche. That's not something to be proud of. I remember as a teen, being asked by Canadian friends, why so many Americans had "metal in their mouths" (braces). It was rare in Canada, but I never noticed any "bad teeth" among Canadians.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:49 PM

301 posts, read 521,079 times
I'm British and I'm trying to think of anyone I know with bad teeth, but I don't have any friends or relatives with bad teeth. In Europe we have comprehensive and free medical and dental healthcare so it would be very difficult to find people with bad teeth.
I have seen some really frightening pictures from America, something they call 'meth mouth' it's what a lot of southern state Americans and drug addicts have, it was terrifying to look at those photos, they get shown in British schools to warn children about the dangers of drugs, something like " if you take drugs you will end up looking like these trailer park Americans" very scary, it's why we don't have crystal meth in Britain, looking at those rotten faced photographs frightened us to death and everyone collectively vowed "no meth in Britain"

Old 03-16-2014, 03:53 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
I'm British and I'm trying to think of anyone I know with bad teeth, but I can't think of any. In Europe we have comprehensive and free medical and dental healthcare so it would be very difficult to find people with bad teeth.
Just curious: does the free dental care cover orthodontia? Would it cover orthodontia that was elective (i.e. for cosmetic reasons)? In the US, most orthodontia is for cosmetic improvement.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Just curious: does the free dental care cover orthodontia? Would it cover orthodontia that was elective (i.e. for cosmetic reasons)? In the US, most orthodontia is for cosmetic improvement.
You can get cosmetic work done on in our hospitals and dentists, women have even had breast enlargement done and people get sex changes, removal of birthmarks and scars, liposuction etc, so you could get teeth whitening for free if the dentist agreed that you need it for cosmetic necessity, ie low self esteem etc

Old 03-16-2014, 04:16 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
It seems like it's mostly the UK, to be honest. I'm sure I'll draw a lot of hate and discontent from this, but from what I have seen, the dental hygiene in most of Europe does not seem to be on the same level as the United States.

It's not just the straight teeth that American clamor for, but from a lot of Europeans, primarily the British, it would seem that dirty or bad teeth are very common over there. Why is this?
Americans do put an emphasis on sparkling unnaturally white teeth in general. But I think this is an old belief that may have been true at one time. These days, Americans seem to have worse teeth than Europeans. I believe the reason is that dental care in the US is extremely expensive and rarely covered by insurance. So you see a lot of poorer people with missing and bad teeth here. The fact is European dental care is quite advanced and also much cheaper than in the US. Thus "Dental Tourism" is born. I would have no problem at all going to Europe for dental work as it is so much more affordable and is now state of the art. I have many British friends who all go back to the UK for their dental care because it is so much cheaper, and their teeth look great to me. US dentists are pricing themselves out of the market and it is becoming a country where only the well-off can afford it.

Affordable Dental Tourism | Patients Beyond Borders

MEDbeaver.com - dental clinic abroad ratings, reviews and prices

Introducing: Dental tourism in Croatia | LikeCroatia

Old 03-16-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Just because a stereotype exists, does not mean it has any truth to it. Your position on this matter is incredibly fragile - your only resources are Google searches.

Anyway, according to the OECD, British, German, Danish, Irish, French, Swedish, Italian and Dutch children have less cavities than American children - less than one on average actually in some cases.
Haha, brilliant, so they have WORSE teeth than Europeans. But why make a thread like this, is it just to try and cause hate between Americans and Europeans, who are 99% decent and friendly people, just to satisfy the disturbed minds of the moronic lower 1%

Old 03-16-2014, 06:12 PM

10,059 posts, read 14,929,390 times
I think it could be genetics.

When I was younger I would only brush once a day (morning), rarely flossed, and constantly eat all sorts of sweets, chew bubble gum, and do pretty much everything dentists say not to do. My parents took me once a year to the dentist for the yearly cleaning. Never had cavities or any dental problems.

The dentist themselves were often impressed. Even now my current dentist has been impressed with my spotless dental record and the good condition of my teeth, albeit now I take better care of them.

That is not quite the story of my cousins. lol

My mother had a few dental problems but not my father. Again, genetics.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:35 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Where do you get this from? I don't understand where the "British people have bad teeth" comes from. Hear it many times, but never actually seen any proof. As a matter of fact, I see way more people in the U.S. with bad teeth. At least there's some explanation for this, though.
Please no anecdotal evidence. Show me some facts that they have bad/worse teeth. Dosen't make sense to me.
Ops. **Heard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYOU2 View Post
A) Concept of getting your teeth whitened is unheard of

B) More coffee drinking/tobacco smoking/chocolate eating etc

C) Lifestyle. Europeans spend much less time in their homes

I have good teeth for Under 35 years old So-Cal standards. Straight but a little yellow from weak enamel. And I received a-lot of compliments on my teeth while in Berlin. I dunno, with so much going on there is less focus on looks. There is no telling where someone is coming from or where they are headed. They could have just came into the nation on a flight, or they are on an all night binger OR they are on a work lunch break. Especially since the social scene is so much more centered around talking, it's more about what you think/what you've seen/where you've been than how nice your jeans are. You leave the home in the morning and you don't know when you'll be back. That night? The next day? 2-days later? Life is going on
You don't have to whiten them...how about brushing them for 3 minutes, twice a day?

Old 03-16-2014, 06:42 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYOU2 View Post
A) Concept of getting your teeth whitened is unheard of

B) More coffee drinking/tobacco smoking/chocolate eating etc

C) Lifestyle. Europeans spend much less time in their homes

I have good teeth for Under 35 years old So-Cal standards. Straight but a little yellow from weak enamel. And I received a-lot of compliments on my teeth while in Berlin. I dunno, with so much going on there is less focus on looks. There is no telling where someone is coming from or where they are headed. They could have just came into the nation on a flight, or they are on an all night binger OR they are on a work lunch break. Especially since the social scene is so much more centered around talking, it's more about what you think/what you've seen/where you've been than how nice your jeans are. You leave the home in the morning and you don't know when you'll be back. That night? The next day? 2-days later? Life is going on
Dude, Germany's all about men's fashion and how nice your jeans are, or your jeans jacket, or whatever. Social scene centered around talking? Germans and Germanic cultures are known for being reserved and not so talkative. Except between good friends.

I think Americans are more affected by advertising than Europeans. That's my take. I could be wrong. But teeth whiteners get a lot of play on TV. That didn't used to be the case. Not when I was a kid, anyway.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:04 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,590,154 times
Cause they talk sh...t,lol
Just joking! !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.