Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2014, 09:01 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Here is one curious thing that I have to mention. In the US they have tendency to remove the wisdom teeth in boys ( don't know about girls) at the age of 16-17, just when they start growing, in order to prevent the "crowding" of teeth. It seems to be quite common procedure in the US but not in Europe I'd guess. And since Anglo-Saxons ( and Northern Europeans in general) are egg-heads ( meaning they have not wider but longer jaws,) it might explain probably why Americans don't have "crowded" ( and hence crooked) teeth, while Europeans do.
It's common for boys and girls. My step-sister and I are 1 year apart and had our wisdom teeth taken out the same day. They do an x-ray of course to see if the teeth are growing in crooked or not, and if they are they go ahead and remove them. Crooked wisdom teeth coming in can create a whole host of issues in your mouth. It's rare that they grow in correctly.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry12 View Post
that is like asking why are most Americans fat ? why is this ?
There is truth to the fact that an overwhelming amount of Americans are fat. Are you also suggesting that the contrary is true concerning European dental health?

Old 03-25-2014, 09:32 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
It's common for boys and girls. My step-sister and I are 1 year apart and had our wisdom teeth taken out the same day. They do an x-ray of course to see if the teeth are growing in crooked or not, and if they are they go ahead and remove them. Crooked wisdom teeth coming in can create a whole host of issues in your mouth. It's rare that they grow in correctly.
That's not quite what I was talking about. They remove the wisdom teeth ( no matter whether they are crooked or straight) as a PREVENTIVE measure so that the rest of teeth wouldn't be "crowded."

Old 03-25-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
That's not quite what I was talking about. They remove the wisdom teeth ( no matter whether they are crooked or straight) as a PREVENTIVE measure so that the rest of teeth wouldn't be "crowded."
No. They only remove them if they are going to come in crooked and look like they will be causing problems. If the x-rays show that the teeth will come in straight then they will leave them alone. It's not just teeth coming in crooked, a wisdom tooth coming in crooked against your other adult teeth can create serious issues and a lot of pain in your mouth and cause infections.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
No. They only remove them if they are going to come in crooked and look like they will be causing problems. If the x-rays show that the teeth will come in straight then they will leave them alone. It's not just teeth coming in crooked, a wisdom tooth coming in crooked against your other adult teeth can create serious issues and a lot of pain in your mouth and cause infections.
You might be not familiar with this subject, but here it is;

"Each year, despite the risks of any surgical procedure, millions of healthy, asymptomatic wisdom teeth are extracted from young patients in the United States, often as they prepare to leave for college. "

"In 2005, a review by the respected Cochrane Collaboration said the number of extractions could be reduced by 60 percent if they were done only when patients were in pain or developed a condition related to wisdom teeth. The group also said there is “reliable evidence” that suggests that removing wisdom teeth does not prevent or reduce crowding of front teeth"

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/06/he...umer.html?_r=0

And potential "crowding of front teeth" is one of the reasons why American dentists recommend such procedure.
I was surprised to hear all that from my son's dentist, that's why I am aware of this quite common procedure. (Few of my son's friends in same age group had it done as well.)

Old 03-25-2014, 11:52 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
You might be not familiar with this subject, but here it is;

"Each year, despite the risks of any surgical procedure, millions of healthy, asymptomatic wisdom teeth are extracted from young patients in the United States, often as they prepare to leave for college. "

"In 2005, a review by the respected Cochrane Collaboration said the number of extractions could be reduced by 60 percent if they were done only when patients were in pain or developed a condition related to wisdom teeth. The group also said there is “reliable evidence” that suggests that removing wisdom teeth does not prevent or reduce crowding of front teeth"

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/06/he...umer.html?_r=0

And potential "crowding of front teeth" is one of the reasons why American dentists recommend such procedure.
I was surprised to hear all that from my son's dentist, that's why I am aware of this quite common procedure. (Few of my son's friends in same age group had it done as well.)
Erasure, it's very easy to talk American parents into unnecessary dental work on their kids. Parents will pay for unnecessary orthodontia, and for wisdom tooth extractions. It's a racket, a huge business.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Erasure, it's very easy to talk American parents into unnecessary dental work on their kids. Parents will pay for unnecessary orthodontia, and for wisdom tooth extractions. It's a racket, a huge business.
I understand that, but I wonder whether the removal of wisdom teeth DOES prevent the crowding of front teeth after all. ( I mean you don't see it that often in the US as in Europe, where it doesn't seem to be a standard procedure.)

Old 03-26-2014, 04:54 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I think it is because our water here in NY they add fluoride to it. I think UK water might be the.
Maybe other countries they dont.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I think it is because our water here in NY they add fluoride to it. I think UK water might be the.
Maybe other countries they dont.
Actually, I'm fairly certain that almost all public water facilities add a small amount of fluoride to the water. This practice started back in the 1940's or 1950's and greatly reduced cavities amongst Americans. There was a side effect though, fluoride is not meant to be ingested by people, so it caused some internal problems in the stomach and digestive areas with some people.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:43 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Actually, I'm fairly certain that almost all public water facilities add a small amount of fluoride to the water. This practice started back in the 1940's or 1950's and greatly reduced cavities amongst Americans. There was a side effect though, fluoride is not meant to be ingested by people, so it caused some internal problems in the stomach and digestive areas with some people.
Some towns around the US have stopped adding fluoride to the water, by public demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe