Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 08:04 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan_be View Post
Yes. Well... You won't imagine that large parts of the US population are obese, just looking at American poster boys and girls, photographed in perfectly controlled conditions on a sunny Californian beach.

You won't see any hint whatsoever on parents who can't affort astma medication for their kids in shows such as "I Carly", nor will you see a parent or a grand parent dying in misery because of advanced stage cancer, as he can't affort treatment nor adequate pain relief medication, even tough he paid for years his private health care plan. Something wrong with the "free market" or what?

You won't see people living in trailer parks or somewhere in a bush, because they went broke due to medical bills or because of an unreliable insurance company only willing to pay $20 for a destroyed house after Katarina hit New Orleans. The terms of the contract were clear, weren't they?

America is the place to be, American governement obsessed with bringing "freedom and democracy" all around the world, even if that means killing those who are unwearthy of that freedom and democracy, because they value simple things: a decent life for themselves and all others. And backed up by a population that received the education the policy makers, in accordance with their puppet masters from big money, found fit.

Perhaps the Americans have better teeth, compared to Europeans, in every sense. Those who can affort it. The majority, or am I mistaken?
Yes you are; as I live for six months of the year in the U.S. and have never encountered more people with missing or rotten teeth anywhere else on the planet I've ever travelled than right here in the good old U.S. of A.

I've also encountered something else more recently; that being parents with children of less than 8 years or so of age accompanying them while panhandling on street corners, not a pretty sight in the land of milk and honey.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:30 PM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Yes you are; as I live for six months of the year in the U.S. and have never encountered more people with missing or rotten teeth anywhere else on the planet I've ever travelled than right here in the good old U.S. of A.

I've also encountered something else more recently; that being parents with children of less than 8 years or so of age accompanying them while panhandling on street corners, not a pretty sight in the land of milk and honey.
Missing or rotten teeth? Do you surround yourself with homeless people daily?

BTW, what's the homeless situation in European countries? Have severely mentally ill patients been deinstitutionalized, and if so, how are they cared for? Where there is homelessness, what is the cause?

Old 03-24-2014, 08:57 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,980,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

I wonder what remote region of the United States you lived in. Even in the deep south and poverty stricken state of Mississippi, which is the most regressive and least progressive state, usually, people generally have decent teeth around here. Every time I see a television show interviewing British people off the streets of London or other British cities, the people they stop...have disgusting looking teeth. Crooked and green. Even the prince himself has crooked teeth. Fortunately, Kate has a wonderful smile.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:48 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,066,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Every time I see a television show interviewing British people off the streets of London or other British cities, the people they stop...have disgusting looking teeth. Crooked and green.
Green? Tune your TV colour controls in properly.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:07 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
Quote:
I wonder what remote region of the United States you lived in. Even in the deep south and poverty stricken state of Mississippi, which is the most regressive and least progressive state, usually, people generally have decent teeth around here. Every time I see a television show interviewing British people off the streets of London or other British cities, the people they stop...have disgusting looking teeth. Crooked and green. Even the prince himself has crooked teeth. Fortunately, Kate has a wonderful smile.
Do they? I've never met anyone with crooked, green teeth, and I talk to British people every day. Besides, people have already told you - having crooked teeth doesn't equate to having bad teeth. Bad teeth = cavities, extractions, fillings. Teeth go crooked not because the person doesn't look after them, but because that's how they grow.

I'm not sure what would cause your teeth to go green - I've met people with stained teeth due to coffee, but never green teeth. You're weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
Which countries in Europe have you visited where you've seen this?
The answer is none.

Last edited by Rozenn; 03-25-2014 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: Unnecessary

Old 03-25-2014, 05:57 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,386,074 times
Quote:
Maybe there's a culture difference between the USA and the rest of the world because healthy teeth doesn't equal straightness, whiteness and a "perfect smile" Heath of the teeth rather than how white and straight the teeth is more important.

My teeth isnt straight, shiny white and perfect but my teeth is still heathy, you need to understand that.

I find it hard to believe that people in the USA have better teeth on average because of the foul diet.

Last edited by P London; 03-25-2014 at 06:13 AM..

Old 03-25-2014, 06:05 AM

81 posts, read 108,934 times
The American stereotype comes from ancient times. There were many European kids that had no access to milk and proteins during the war/postwar and many had bad teeth.

Nowdays, I bet EEC members have better teeth. Let's not forget that Americans always had a fixation with teeth, so they always used tons of teeth whiteners, mouth refreshers, etc.

It's just the same type of idiotic stuff you hear in the US about Toilet Paper, for many American tourists European toilet paper was the most important item. some of them collected toilet paper strips to show that restaurant and bar owners did not buy "puffy" toilet paper.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:52 PM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Maybe there's a culture difference between the USA and the rest of the world because healthy teeth doesn't equal straightness, whiteness and a "perfect smile" Heath of the teeth rather than how white and straight the teeth is more important.

My teeth isnt straight, shiny white and perfect but my teeth is still heathy, you need to understand that.

I find it hard to believe that people in the USA have better teeth on average because of the foul diet.
A lot of people in the US don't eat that foul stuff. However, sweets are popular with nearly everyone. Your post raises a good point. Americans may have a lot of fillings in their teeth, but they scrupulously maintain the appearance of healthy teeth. And they pay a lot of money for straight teeth. India has been cited from time to time in the US as the country with the healthiest teeth and fewest dental caries. Americans aren't even close, in that regard.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:18 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYOU2 View Post
When it comes to Europe

There are distinct differences (in many aspects) between those 50+ years old & younger. If you are around 50, you grew up in Post-WW2 Europe. Very harsh times.
Neither my dentists nor I noticed that!

Old 03-25-2014, 06:28 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,980,722 times
The stereotype is prevalent, like it or not, and there is a measurable amount of truth to it. I understand people's feelings getting hurt over such a sensitive issue, but there is no denying the fact. Of course people with bad or unsightly teeth exist everywhere, the United States is no exception. What I am getting at is that people, namely in European countries, it seems do not have the same level of dental attention as do most Americans. Consider this:

A simple Google search on "British Teeth" yields these results.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...2F%3B408%3B250

Here's what I get when I type in "British Smiles" into Google.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...=isch&imgdii=_

Here's what I come up with when I search "American Teeth"

Here's what comes up when I search "American Smiles"

Now, I am in no way at all suggesting that Google image search is an accurate representation of what everyone's teeth look like in a particular country, but you can see that there is a difference. Americans are far more likely to have straight white teeth. British are more likely to have crooked and discolored teeth. Explain to me why that is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe