Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2020, 09:41 AM

405 posts, read 223,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Bale, the original video that Nerys posted here earlier - how to make a mask, is actually made by a Ukrainian.

But my question here, is how effective they are, and what they REALLY do, judging by what the doctors in China were describing ( how potent and easily transmittable this virus is,) and what ( at least the Russians in China) were describing - how many masks PER DAY they had to go through, in order for it to be effective.
These home-made things seemed to be no more than protection against the regular flue ( sorta the kind that people wear in the hospitals during flue season.) But from my understanding, this Covid thing is far, far more infectious.

I was checking the masks that Ukrainians were selling on-line, and I discovered that the most expensive ones - the Japanese so-called Pitta mask, the kind you see on Asians during their smogs - is not even intended to really protect from this virus))
I am sure plenty.

Particularly older people.

But the government still expects them to order masks from the internet, even if they will come short on food.

Or to make one themselves, and to pretend that it's protecting them and others around them.
That was an excellent information, Erasure!
I clicked on your "Pitta" masks link, and kept on clicking on masks Fit tests... and, wow, even "Trump's bandannas" that I thought were completely useless (as they flipping and flopping) provide 28% blockage of particles , sized 0.007 microns. Corona virus by comparison is between 0.5 and 0.2 microns in dia.

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...on-masks-work/
As we can see, from the Fit test graph ^^^ 3M N95 masks, scored the best, filtering 99.5%-99.7% vs leaky surgical masks 63% vs the lowest scored LVDun masks 56.5%.

Now, LVDUN masks looks to me like our simple 3 layered home made mask with a pocket to insert PM 2.5 filter.
https://www.gearbest.com/personal-pr...p_1698241.html

Conclusion: Even if home made masks filter only 56.5% of 0.007 microns particles they should sure do better for corona virus which is 28.5 to 71 times bigger. The same with leaky surgical masks.

So, hell yeah - wear your whatever mask when you go out. Wash and iron home made ones after each use.
Be careful how you take them off - consider outer surface contaminated. Keep washing your hands.
Rotate N95 masks every day, if you cannot dispose of them after single use...You should have at least 7 of them Monday through Sunday. And, it is not just for other people protection , for your own also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 12:04 PM

26,832 posts, read 22,632,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
What if it was your sister or daughter? (This thing kills young people too you know) would it still be OK by you?

Oh, don't even pay attention - this type of people are not worth it.
This caught my eye today; sad all around.

Someone's son and father. 38 years old.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/minnesota...onavirus-alone

Old 04-11-2020, 12:41 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,036,010 times
if easter doesn't increase the cases it will be a proof god exists lol...all the idiots visiting churches now.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:26 PM

It's like Romania and Turkey have betrayed the great southeastern gene...their cases skyrocketed in just 2 days, it's like they've decided to test the herd immunity or something. Though for Romania better explanation will be Easter maybe.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:47 PM

^ it's most likely because they live in poor neighboorhoods with bad hospitals and because the jobs they take involve contact with many people in the social services...like trash collections, picolos, salesmen etc. Consider this: Czechia is likely the whitest country in the world but is doing worse than darker Bulgaria, despite having better healthcare.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:59 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,258,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonaquaParon View Post
that's why so many africans are dying. they have weak immune systems.
Or they do not have normal health insurance.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:55 PM

26,832 posts, read 22,632,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonaquaParon View Post
i don't get why so many people are against the concept of herd-immunity. you realize you yourself are a product of the natural selection taking place during the black plague or the spanish flu?

Because we don't live in the 12th century any longer, where all the corpses can be piled up on the streets and people can run for the country-side.

Have you seen what took place in Italy or New York lately?

Quote:
that's why so many africans are dying. they have weak immune systems.
No, you strange person.
Normally Africans should have a stronger immune system, keeping in mind the kind of threats/outbreaks they have in their own countries.
If they are more affected by this particular virus, there could be few factors to take in consideration;
they live in more crowded spaces, they have a lot of comorbidities big time ( at least that seems to be the case for Black Americans,) AND/OR the factor I am talking about is in place for real, that this particular virus affects some ethnic groups worse than other.
At least that's my suspicion.

Old 04-11-2020, 06:44 PM

405 posts, read 223,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Or they do not have normal health insurance.
Or/and in addition, dark skin people's vitamin D level is low which can weaken their immune system.
Dark skin does not synthesize vitamin D as good as white people's skin. Could be as much as 80 % of AA deficient in it, especially at this time of the year. This problem could be corrected by taking vitamin D supplement. Hopefully.

Old 04-11-2020, 07:25 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,144,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
It's like Romania and Turkey have betrayed the great southeastern gene...their cases skyrocketed in just 2 days, it's like they've decided to test the herd immunity or something. Though for Romania better explanation will be Easter maybe.
Dude, today’s confirmed cases are not due to Easter, those people likely caught the disease at least 10 days ago.

Turkey’s been on that upward trend for at least 2 weeks. As for Romania, they sort of seem to have off days and double days, maybe there’s something with their reporting, but they’ve been on that path too..

Old 04-11-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Dude, today’s confirmed cases are not due to Easter, those people likely caught the disease at least 10 days ago.

Turkey’s been on that upward trend for at least 2 weeks. As for Romania, they sort of seem to have off days and double days, maybe there’s something with their reporting, but they’ve been on that path too..

Maybe they include nursing homes later? Anyway I only care if they don't trespass into my country and they likely will, Turkey for instance abandoned their border even before the covid:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...roops-in-syria
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe