Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2020, 08:35 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,259,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonaquaParon View Post
yeah, countries in lock-down are just delaying the problem. first time in ages i think my home country (sweden) is taking a sensible approach to something.
It makes sense to delaying problems if at this time new hospital places for receiving patients are urgently creating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2020, 10:28 AM

7,858 posts, read 10,307,580 times
Quote:
at what cost? is it worth ruining your economy to buy grandma an extra 2 years?
its a reasonable question

Old 04-10-2020, 11:23 AM

26,832 posts, read 22,637,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
There are videos all over the internet on how to make homemade masks using basic household items that are just as good as common surgical masks (not N95 of course).

Bale, the original video that Nerys posted here earlier - how to make a mask, is actually made by a Ukrainian.

But my question here, is how effective they are, and what they REALLY do, judging by what the doctors in China were describing ( how potent and easily transmittable this virus is,) and what ( at least the Russians in China) were describing - how many masks PER DAY they had to go through, in order for it to be effective.
These home-made things seemed to be no more than protection against the regular flue ( sorta the kind that people wear in the hospitals during flue season.) But from my understanding, this Covid thing is far, far more infectious.

I was checking the masks that Ukrainians were selling on-line, and I discovered that the most expensive ones - the Japanese so-called Pitta mask, the kind you see on Asians during their smogs - is not even intended to really protect from this virus))

Quote:
How many people in Ukraine do not have access to internet or basic household items like paper towels, cloth, bed sheets, thread, needle, elastic bands?

Idiot Americans are making them at home. Hard to believe that sophisticated Europeans are relying on "stores" and not their own hands.

I am sure plenty.

Particularly older people.

But the government still expects them to order masks from the internet, even if they will come short on food.

Or to make one themselves, and to pretend that it's protecting them and others around them.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:42 AM

9,401 posts, read 14,350,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Bale, the original video that Nerys posted here earlier - how to make a mask, is actually made by a Ukrainian.

But my question here, is how effective they are, and what they REALLY do, judging by what the doctors in China were describing ( how potent and easily transmittable this virus is,) and what ( at least the Russians in China) were describing - how many masks PER DAY they had to go through, in order for it to be effective.
These home-made things seemed to be no more than protection against the regular flue ( sorta the kind that people wear in the hospitals during flue season.) But from my understanding, this Covid thing is far, far more infectious.

I was checking the masks that Ukrainians were selling on-line, and I discovered that the most expensive ones - the Japanese so-called Pitta mask, the kind you see on Asians during their smogs - is not even intended to really protect from this virus))

I am sure plenty.

Particularly older people.

But the government still expects them to order masks from the internet, even if they will come short on food.

Or to make one themselves, and to pretend that it's protecting them and others around them.
I see your points, but do you think a nose/mouth/eye-covering, even a homemade one, is better than nothing?

Would you walk into a supermarket, or any public enclosed space containing other people, right now without one?

Old 04-10-2020, 12:23 PM

26,832 posts, read 22,637,096 times
Quote:
I see your points, but do you think a nose/mouth/eye-covering, even a homemade one, is better than nothing?

Would you walk into a supermarket, or any public enclosed space containing other people, right now without one?

I'll tell you an interesting thing Bale.
PSYCHOLOGICALLY I would probably feel much better while wearing one, going to any grocery store now.
But INSTINCTIVELY I feel that it's much better to avoid any enclosed spaces at this point, particularly smaller ones, like, say, elevators. There I sense no home-made mask do me any good.

Everything I was observing about that virus ( and I followed the news closely from January) makes me feel very uneasy.

There is something different about it.

Last edited by erasure; 04-10-2020 at 12:47 PM..

Old 04-10-2020, 12:33 PM

405 posts, read 223,827 times
Quote:
There you go!

All he needs now is to insert a sheet of clear plastic to cover his eyes.
Like a plastic bag over his head?

Old 04-10-2020, 12:48 PM

405 posts, read 223,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
Btw, here in Estonia in a small town today protective masks were sold for 129.- euros per package. There are 50 masks in the package, so the price of one mask is neither more nor less than 2.58 euros. I wonder if this is a European /world record?

https://tartu.postimees.ee/6946285/1...327.1586284326

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3280...archweb201603_
I believe they are buying them here ^^^ and reselling them at x8 the price 8(

Old 04-10-2020, 01:37 PM

14,822 posts, read 12,064,894 times
Quote:
at what cost? is it worth ruining your economy to buy grandma an extra 2 years?
Would it make a difference if it was YOUR grandma!

Old 04-10-2020, 01:58 PM

9,401 posts, read 14,350,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I'll tell you an interesting thing Bale.
PSYCHOLOGICALLY I would probably feel much better while wearing one, going to any grocery store now.
But INSTINCTIVELY I feel that it's much better to avoid any enclosed spaces at this point, particularly smaller ones, like, say, elevators. There I sense no home-made mask do me any good.

Everything I was observing about that virus (and I followed the news closely from January) makes me feel very uneasy.

There is something different about it.
Yeah, I wore a mask last trip to the grocery store, and I'm skipping this weekend because of the holiday, will wait until later next week.

I take stairs now, except when I have to bring up heavy things and I make sure no one else is in there.

I don't want to get into conspiracy theories right now, but the atmosphere does have a sinister feel to it.

In Italy, the official number of new cases per day is tending to decrease, but the trajectory is very slow and bumpy. If such a sever lock down doesn't work, what will?

Massive antibody testing in one or two months?

Those who survive will see.

Un abbraccio!

Old 04-10-2020, 04:59 PM

14,822 posts, read 12,064,894 times
Quote:
no, it wouldn't. they have already lived a long and satisfying life.
What if it was your sister or daughter? (This thing kills young people too you know) would it still be OK by you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe