Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 03:27 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexico76 View Post
I'd say the Republic of Ireland, as it is very wealthy now, and mostly English-speaking and thus has appeal to students, travelers, workers...but without much of the political baggage that the U.S., UK, carry, as it was long neutral and not really involved in power politics.

The one possible exception may be Unionists of Northern Ireland, but I think overall, Britons like Ireland more than they often like other parts of the UK.
I agree, most Britons have had Irish relatives since 1800’s, except in deepest rural areas like Cornwall and Devon. Americans have a perception, as do mainland Irish that we are different races, ideologies etc, but we share blood, both love horse racing, drinking, fighting (!) , Premier League, Betting, Music, theatre, both individualist countries, love drama, eccentric, similar countryside, both are/ were catholic ( until Henry 8th)
The Irish do have a pop at the English, but that is down to what they think is deserving in their eyes, though much is past derived
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 02:05 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,125,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Eurovision is THE biggest pile of dog **** the world has ever produced! Its not a music competition its a Political 'love in', I don't think any act since ABBA has actually gone on to any musical success after winning this waste of time.
Rant over!

Well, hold on. Céline Dion won it I think it was in ‘88 on a Swiss ticket, and that gave her international career an extra boost. Of course, in political terms, she is as European as maple syrup, lol.

Old 09-13-2021, 03:50 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
Well, hold on. Céline Dion won it I think it was in ‘88 on a Swiss ticket, and that gave her international career an extra boost. Of course, in political terms, she is as European as maple syrup, lol.
Celine Dion! You gotta be kidding me!

Old 09-13-2021, 05:44 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,125,970 times
Quote:
Celine Dion! You gotta be kidding me!
Lol x 100, yes.

Can’t be more European than her.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:11 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Quote:
Eurovision is THE biggest pile of dog **** the world has ever produced! Its not a music competition its a Political 'love in', I don't think any act since ABBA has actually gone on to any musical success after winning this waste of time.
This year's winner (the Italian rock band) is doing very well internationally. The 2019 winning song (the Netherlands) is also very successful. It's been on US Billboard for a while now.

I don't think anyone would argue that Eurovision was some sort of pinnacle of European music, but the UK always ends up last because the UK always sends awful acts, not because people hate the UK.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:30 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Some answers use the word "hate"...

For me, there is no "hate", but I certainly "do not like" certain country(ies).

I lived and worked in several European countries and the one I do not like is Switzerland for "living and working" there. For a visit, not bad at all!

Old 09-13-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
This year's winner (the Italian rock band) is doing very well internationally. The 2019 winning song (the Netherlands) is also very successful. It's been on US Billboard for a while now.

I don't think anyone would argue that Eurovision was some sort of pinnacle of European music, but the UK always ends up last because the UK always sends awful acts, not because people hate the UK.
I've never heard of them before or since, they're not exactly Oasis are they?! The UK could have sent Adele, Ed Shearan, Amy Whinehouse or even the bloody Rolling Stones and it would STILL come last! Its so obviously political that its laughable.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:58 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Quote:
I've never heard of them before or since, they're not exactly Oasis are they?! The UK could have sent Adele, Ed Shearan, Amy Whinehouse or even the bloody Rolling Stones and it would STILL come last! Its so obviously political that its laughable.
If the UK had sent any of those famous musicians they would've won by a landslide.

Old 09-15-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
If the UK had sent any of those famous musicians they would've won by a landslide.
No they wouldn't, they would come last. The Eurovision song contest is the biggest waste of time on the planet, its pure politics. I'm not sure if I can think of any decent piece of music to ever come out of it for at least the last 20 years! I doubt hardly anybody could even tell you ONE winner in the last 20 years either.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:32 AM

6,793 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Quote:
No they wouldn't, they would come last. The Eurovision song contest is the biggest waste of time on the planet, its pure politics. I'm not sure if I can think of any decent piece of music to ever come out of it for at least the last 20 years! I doubt hardly anybody could even tell you ONE winner in the last 20 years either.

Back in the Cold War era the UK was actually fairly successful in it. Winning it 4 times and finishing 2nd another 12 times between 1959 and 1990. And even beyond that Katrina & The Waves won it in 97 and the UK finished in the top 5 as recently as 2009. It's only been in the last 10 years or so that the UK has reliably finished near the bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe