Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 11:15 AM

8,877 posts, read 8,487,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
No they wouldn't, they would come last. The Eurovision song contest is the biggest waste of time on the planet, its pure politics. I'm not sure if I can think of any decent piece of music to ever come out of it for at least the last 20 years! I doubt hardly anybody could even tell you ONE winner in the last 20 years either.
Your bitterness is comical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2021, 12:35 PM

2,341 posts, read 2,948,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Your bitterness is comical.
It's true though. The Abba song halfway the 70s was the only halfway decent song that ever came out of the Eurovision song contest and they were the only performers who actually had a succesfull career after Eurovision.

For the rest Eurovision is all about politics, usually the votes go to the underdog countries like the small poor Eastern European countries with abysmal performers.

I also agree with Putin that Eurovision is a Europe-wide gay parade. I don't like this hidden agenda either: the most gay performer like this Austrian got to win.

I can't even watch the performances, it is really that bad.

Last edited by drro; 09-18-2021 at 01:19 PM..

Old 09-18-2021, 01:12 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,549,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I don’t know who hates Finland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Finland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Switzerland, Norway, Finland, and Luxembourg are generally liked or considered neutral at worst and don't have major issues.

Old 09-21-2021, 01:50 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,396,248 times
Quote:
Probably because Finland sucks in Eurovision in general except in 2006 where it won, Estonia did give Finland 12 points that year. This year Estonia also gave Finland many points.
Before that no points were given. In general, all smaller, non english languages suck at Eurovision. But the points given at Eurovision - it was just an illustrative example. I don't watch it but I know that points are generally given there to "friends". I want to say that Estonians do not particularly love or respect Finns. Period. This is not my personal opinion as my attitude towards foreign countries is neutral, so do not shoot the messenger.

Old 09-21-2021, 11:36 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,503,611 times
I never would have guessed this thread would devolve into a back and forth bickering about, of all things, Eurovision.

Old 09-22-2021, 12:40 AM

8,877 posts, read 8,487,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
It's true though. The Abba song halfway the 70s was the only halfway decent song that ever came out of the Eurovision song contest and they were the only performers who actually had a succesfull career after Eurovision.
That is usually the case, but winners in the past couple of years have had some success outside of Eurovision like the Dutch winner in 2019 and the Italian winning band this year. There is obviously a generation gap so if you are middle aged or old you obviously would not have heard of them.

Quote:
For the rest Eurovision is all about politics, usually the votes go to the underdog countries like the small poor Eastern European countries with abysmal performers.
Absolutely untrue. Of the past 10 winners only Azerbaijan (2011) and Ukraine (2016) are Eastern European countries. The other winners have all been from Western Europe, plus Israel, which is basically Western Europe.

Quote:
I also agree with Putin that Eurovision is a Europe-wide gay parade. I don't like this hidden agenda either: the most gay performer like this Austrian got to win.
I guess homophobes exist even in NL.

Quote:
I can't even watch the performances, it is really that bad.
I don't think anyone is arguing that Eurovision is about quality music, but to claim that Britain always ends up last because Europeans hate Britain is simply wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
Before that no points were given. In general, all smaller, non english languages suck at Eurovision. But the points given at Eurovision - it was just an illustrative example. I don't watch it but I know that points are generally given there to "friends". I want to say that Estonians do not particularly love or respect Finns. Period. This is not my personal opinion as my attitude towards foreign countries is neutral, so do not shoot the messenger.
I never argued that Estonians loved Finland or anything, but Estonia does vote for Finland quite a bit in Eurovision. So do other Nordic countries. And that's probably because Estonian audiences have heard of the singers Finland sends to Eurovision. It's normal that people recognise/know celebrities from countries close to their own. Many Japanese/Singaporean celebrities are well-known here but nowhere else. It's perfectly logical.

Anyway, back to topic. It's quite silly to account for history in a popularity contest as that would obviously favour small countries which were never major players. The truth is Italy is the most popular now according to opinion polls. It's got widespread love across the continent.

Last edited by Greysholic; 09-22-2021 at 01:18 AM..

Old 09-22-2021, 02:15 AM

17,387 posts, read 11,370,974 times
I find it fascinating that the 3 most liked countries are southern European and of Latin ancestry.

Old 09-22-2021, 03:15 AM

985 posts, read 1,858,854 times
Very interesting survey. Is there a similar one pre-Brexit?

Old 09-22-2021, 12:29 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,396,248 times
Quote:

I never argued that Estonians loved Finland or anything, but Estonia does vote for Finland quite a bit in Eurovision. So do other Nordic countries. And that's probably because Estonian audiences have heard of the singers Finland sends to Eurovision. It's normal that people recognise/know celebrities from countries close to their own. Many Japanese/Singaporean celebrities are well-known here but nowhere else. It's perfectly logical.
Just a short reply. By Eurovision voting, I meant an older period. Secondly, this is a Baltic state, not a Nordic country. Thirdly, I certainly cannot say that the Finnish Eurovision songs have previously been better known here than, for example, the Eurovision songs of Austria or Australia, Belgium or Portugal or any other participating country. Small European countries in this region are generally not interested in the music of other small countries and do not know their artists. Anyone who is interested in Eurovision songs here is equally informed about all the competing songs. In your region, these things are probably different.

Old 09-22-2021, 01:42 PM

26,849 posts, read 22,687,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I find it fascinating that the 3 most liked countries are southern European and of Latin ancestry.

Lol at the French in particular.

Look how much negativity from them to everyone else, comparably to how much love is for THEM.

They are like that guy who sits there in perpetual state of irritation, saying that everyone is an a-hole and doesn't deserve his attention, while everyone around is saying "we know you don't mean that, we know that deep down you are a lovable guy."

P.S. Russians are saying out in the open on TV that Italians are their "favorite foreigners."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe