Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2018, 09:16 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It is a long time favorite excuse for things such as weight gain and not care about themselves.
Apparently so, according to the OP, who obviously has an axe to grind.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 09:56 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,743,389 times
I would not take an exercise class with an overweight instructor!

Old 02-03-2018, 11:39 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,968,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
Would you be less inclined to take classes with an exercise leader who has put on about 50 pounds over the past five years, not due to a medical issue, just the old 'got married and gained weight'?
Quote:
The instructor got married about eight years and started putting on weight a few years later. She has probably put on 30 of those 50 pounds in the last two years. In most cases, she's the heaviest person in the room and it just doesn't look good.
Quote:
She's 50 with no children (no weight gain due to BC pills) and admits that she and her husband have "gained weight together".
Quote:
No, she admits she is eating too much.
You sound like a stalker. Why are you so obsessed with this instructor?

First of all, she has "admitted" that she eats too much and she has "admitted" that she and her husband gained weight together? So, who is interrogating her, to get these "admissions"? Are you, or other people, seriously asking this person how much she weighs, how much weight she has gained, the chronological trajectory of this weight gain, and to please provide an explanation? I think Emily Post would like a word with you. What are you going to get her to admit next? Her salary? How much money is in her 401k? Why, exactly, she never had kids? Maybe, she does have some medical issue, or is on some kind of medication, that has caused her to gain weight. Maybe, since it's none of your goddamn business, or because she is worried about how her medical record might affect her employment, she is giving you light-hearted, generic answers about eating too much or settling into marriage. People in their 50s with big health insurance bills aren't exactly attractive to employers.

Also have you been weighing this lady for the past 5 years? She has gained 50 pounds over 5 years...30 pounds of which were gained in the last 2 years? Do you have line graphs and bar charts you want to post here as well??? LOL. I don't know these kinds of body stats about my closest friends. You say you're in your mid 50s, but you sound like a 13 year-old, right down to the humble-brag posting of your weight on an anonymous internet forum.

Since you're such a health and fitness expert, maybe you should try teaching a class instead of just taking one.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:07 AM

658 posts, read 722,918 times
Quote:
Would you be less inclined to take classes with an exercise leader who has put on about 50 pounds over the past five years, not due to a medical issue, just the old 'got married and gained weight'?
I'm just gonna put this out there. Bela Karolyi has coached women's Gymnastics for decades. Have you seen what he looks like, what he's always looked like? If he needed to be fit and thin in order to mold top level athletes, then he would never have gotten anywhere because that guy has always been way overweight.

So in answer to your question, NO. If they can motivate me and they know their stuff, it's not my business why they gained some weight themselves. What difference does that even make?

Old 02-04-2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I wouldn't take shooting lessons from someone who can't hit the target, I wouldn't take financial advice from someone who is broke, I wouldn't take driving lessons from someone with a smashed up car, and I wouldn't take 'fitness' lessons/advice from someone who is overweight.

If you want to be successful in a particular endeavor, you take advice from people who are successful in that area. You want to take advice from someone who is already where you want to be. If you are taking advice from someone who is clearly not successful in the area, there are *two* fools in the room.
But if you want to go to the Olympics as a gymnast you will go and get trained by a hugely fat guy who probably couldn't do one situp or squat because somehow he knows how to create Olympic level athletes who bring home the gold.

http://hdarr.com/a-trip-in-the-way-b...d-kim-zmeskal/

Here's a photo of him with Kim Zmeskal. Does he look like he can perform any sport at all much less the one he has taught for like 50 years?

How about Mike Ditka. He's always been really fat and had a freaking heart attack. I was in the audience of the Donahue episode where he talked about it. Who'd want that guy telling them how to be fit and how to play a sport he can't even play?

INTERESTING.

Also, what if this woman who got married and gained weight had a baby? That will affect your body quite a bit. What if she has an undiagnosed thyroid problem? What about Hashimoto's? You can't even catch that with the TSH test because it fluctuates as it kills your thyroid so you can have a normal TSH and doctors will INSIST that you're just fineroonie. Also it's expensive to test for the antibodies and most people don't even know they need to test your free T3 and T4 and not just the TSH. The TSH is a joke. You're never going to find out if you have hypothyroid (which causes you to gain weight no matter how much you work out or how little you eat) just by the TSH.

How do you KNOW what her problem is and why or how she gained weight? Do you scrutinize males as much and insist that they be super fit as well?

Last edited by CamillaB; 02-04-2018 at 12:24 AM..

Old 02-04-2018, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
you are obviously an overweight 50 year old woman since you know so much about them.
And we have the classic example of the "you must be X if you care about X" method of debate.

Care about women's rights? You're a radical feminist and/or a lesbian!
Care about the poor? You're a bleeding heart liberal!
Care about a particular disease? You've got that disease!
Care about women being judged on appearance? You're fat and ugly!
Care about the environment? You're a tree! I mean a psycho environmentalist!
Care about abortions? You're a a religious nut!
Care about women's choices? You've had an abortion!
Care about the elderly? You're really really old!

Old 02-04-2018, 06:59 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
And we have the classic example of the "you must be X if you care about X" method of debate.

Care about women's rights? You're a radical feminist and/or a lesbian!
Care about the poor? You're a bleeding heart liberal!
Care about a particular disease? You've got that disease!
Care about women being judged on appearance? You're fat and ugly!
Care about the environment? You're a tree! I mean a psycho environmentalist!
Care about abortions? You're a a religious nut!
Care about women's choices? You've had an abortion!
Care about the elderly? You're really really old!

Yup, that is not typical me at all. Besides, we have already closed that chapter and I suggest you don't keep dragging it along. Please, stick to topic. Thank you

Old 02-04-2018, 10:54 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,319,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I wouldn't take shooting lessons from someone who can't hit the target, I wouldn't take financial advice from someone who is broke, I wouldn't take driving lessons from someone with a smashed up car, and I wouldn't take 'fitness' lessons/advice from someone who is overweight.

If you want to be successful in a particular endeavor, you take advice from people who are successful in that area. You want to take advice from someone who is already where you want to be. If you are taking advice from someone who is clearly not successful in the area, there are *two* fools in the room.
With all due respect, sincerely...

Well, having just reading a thread where 'logic and reasoning' were mentioned, I will only add my 2 cents with my life experiences and 'world view'.

I would not take shooting lessons from someone who is blind (for obvious reasons where no further explanation is necessary).

I wouldn't take financial advice from someone just because they were financially successful

I wouldn't take driving lessons from someone who didn't ever have a driver's license

I wouldn't take 'fitness' lessons/advice from someone who didn't motivate me regardless of their physical attributes

IMHO all the reasons you have provided for not taking 'such and such' are about 'temporary and not necessarily forever' circumstances; to wit...

Personally, I think the 'someone who is broke' may have learned some hard lessons about how *hit can happen in ones life and leave a financial legacy to which a great many years may not be enough to restore them to financial health. OR, neglecting to be responsible has led to financial ruin and they are making better choices to restore their previous money management and will prevail over the short/long haul.

Someone who is financially successful may have become that way through various means and not necessarily through hard work and sacrifice; <that's the 'successful' person I want to garner my wisdom from.

A smashed up car in of itself means absolutely diddly, as previously mentioned *hit happens in life and the smashed up car could have occurred for a variety of reasons through no fault of the owner/driver.

OR, that person with the smashed up car may have been inebriated (alcohol, drugs), distracted/texting/eating while driving AND has now 'mended' their ways' and can be a great source of inspiration, instruction and practical advice on what NOT to do.

Docendo discimus, men learn while they teach

That sums it up for me...

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 02-04-2018 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-04-2018, 03:38 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,319,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky701 View Post
Its often said that those who cannot do it..... teach it...
Well, there are plenty that 'do it' although, we the public may not always see them 'doing it' doesn't mean they aren't 'doing it'. Just sayin'

Not to be confused with the other 'doing it'.

https://www.facebook.com/codyapp/vid...3359086444272/

Old 02-04-2018, 03:56 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
It wouldn't keep me away as long as she is demonstrating the moves correctly and everyone is having a good time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness