Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 02:18 PM

717 posts, read 558,303 times

Advertisements

It wasn't meant to be instructor bashing. My first post merely asked if you'd be less inclined to attend fitness classes with a heavy instructor.

Yes, attendance is down and a lot of new people come once or twice and don't return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 02:26 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
I've already mentioned here a few times that it's affecting her form and stamina. She can't kick out or squat or lunge as deep because her stomach is in the way. She is having us do less reps and easier moves because SHE can't do them.
someone who is that overweight, to where their stomach interferes with a squat or a lunge is morbidly obese and is way more than 50 lbs overweight. I was 70 lbs overweight and my stomach was nowhere that large. not even close. A large belly doesn't interfere with a kick out either. If the class is mostly cardio, then maybe she will get winded due to the excess weight...but a strength training class? not really. I was lifting heavier things than what's used in those classes when I was 50 lbs overweight. In fact, I found strength training to be the most "overweight person friendly".

Old 02-08-2018, 02:42 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,586,702 times
Your exercise class instructor at a 24-hour fitness gym class should be fit and not overweight by 50+ pounds.
Only exceptions would be someone who is a former professional athlete and has the credentials to help you reach your peak Those are typically coaches.
I've seen some overweight people (approx. 40+ pounds) play very well on the court. I simply thought they put on some pounds, work a lot, and aren't not fitness very much.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:04 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,988,136 times
Quote:
I bet if my thread said that I am an exercise instructor and have gained so much weight from unhealthy eating that I'm usually the heaviest person in the room and can't understand why attendance is down, you all would be on MY case saying I'm not setting a good example and that I should look the part. Go figure...
yep

Old 02-08-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
yep
See? I was right. Why is that? It seems like the people who start threads get bashed and everyone sticks up for or makes excuses for the other person mentioned.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:15 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
I'm just gonna put this out there. Bela Karolyi has coached women's Gymnastics for decades. Have you seen what he looks like, what he's always looked like? If he needed to be fit and thin in order to mold top level athletes, then he would never have gotten anywhere because that guy has always been way overweight.

So in answer to your question, NO. If they can motivate me and they know their stuff, it's not my business why they gained some weight themselves. What difference does that even make?
I'll address this point because I was a gymnastics coach myself for many years. No one expects gymnastics coaches to be in tip-top competitive shape. In fact, because of the nature of gymnastics (a sport for the young), they almost never are. No one even expects a coach to be able to demonstrate advanced moves. It's great if they can model SIMPLE moves, but do you think, for instance, Simone Biles's coach can do what Simone does?

A gymnastics coach needs to be able to motivate, to direct a class, to "spot" so the gymnasts don't get injured, and to critique and give advice on how to improve. They need to be strong and fit enough to lift and catch a gymnast and to be on their feet for hours every day. They do not need to actually DO gymnastics.

When I think of an exercise fitness class like aerobics or yoga, however, I expect the instructor to be modeling the skills and routines for the rest of the class. An exercise instructor can not stand off on the side and call out instructions like a gymnastics coach (weight training being an exception). That is the difference. While I don't mind at all if my gymnastics coach is a little out of shape and can't do the splits or a back tuck any more, I do mind if my exercise instructor is huffing, puffing, and simplifying the class because she can't do it herself. The two positions are not parallel.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:27 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Quote:
See? I was right. Why is that? It seems like the people who start threads get bashed and everyone sticks up for or makes excuses for the other person mentioned.
actually some agreed, while others did not. that happens when one starts a thread.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
actually some agreed, while others did not. that happens when one starts a thread.
You're right, but the ones who didn't agree with me also made up excuses and imagined different scenarios for her (while probably wouldn't be so forgiving if I was the overweight instructor) and seemed to ignore the fact that at least three times I mentioned that the teacher's own form and stamina are suffering.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:43 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,988,136 times
Quote:
Thats how it works around here. Also, a lot of people who spend a lot of time on computers are overweight. Soooo... with weight stuff, you always have to be careful around here. I am gonna get in trouble for saying this, but it is what it is.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Thats how it works around here. Also, a lot of people who spend a lot of time on computers are overweight. Soooo... with weight stuff, you always have to be careful around here. I am gonna get in trouble for saying this, but it is what it is.
I won't tell anyone you said that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness