Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 06:42 PM

622 posts, read 3,107,419 times

Advertisements

I don't think you need to be sore to grow.

I have my own theory on soreness. I think getting sore is really only the muscle overstretching and possibly getting injured. Maybe just overstretching. I've come to this conclusion from the years of being sore mostly in my triceps and chest, whn my shoulders and biceps would not get nearly as sore. Other body parts too, but these examples are best. Let's take the Bi's and Tri's. I'm sure everyone has had extreme triceps soreness, but why not the same soreness in the biceps? Certainly not all of us just train the triceps that much harder. I think it is the extreme stretch that the triceps can make when doing certain excercises such as the overhead triceps press or whatever. The biceps, on the other hand, can not be stretched like this, and subsequently not get as sore as the overstretched triceps.

Well, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Overstretching (under a load) causes soreness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 11:05 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,670,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallG View Post
I am fourteen and after a workout I will be sore, however I am not gaining anything and I seem to have hit a platau but I am sore. I like to do 5 sets of 8 and that might be the reason but otherwise I am really confused.
Another possibility that could be hindering the sort of muscle gain that many 8th and 9th graders covet is that your body is still undergoing elongation of the long bones and you have not yet begun producing a full complement of adult hormones or adopted an adult metabolism. It is very difficult to add any significant bulk if you are still growing in a generally upward direction. Once you start shaving more than twice a month and start to get a few hairs on your back that will all change.

It's also important to look at the physiques of your adult family members to get an idea about what is a realistic expectation. You can be better toned and in better condition than your old man and your uncles, but you aren't likely to turn yourself into the odd mesomorph out of a family of ectomorphs without putting substances into your body that are very, very bad for you.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:34 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,861,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No...once I get really into it, even when I increase the weights and really go nuts, I don't get sore after a while...talked to a couple of trainers who said that was normal.

i have to agree, soreness or lack of soreness doesnt equate to a good/bad workout. Having said that if I increase my volume on all excercises I expect to get more sore i.e doing 10 sets of 10 of bench at a moderate weight as opposed to 3 sets to 5 with heavier weight which would probably not make me sore at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness