Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 11:35 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Well, obviously literacy didn't come easy for you, so it appears I'm going to have to draw this out in crayon.

Newsflash, genius. People who were formerly in good shape will carry their weight alot better than someone who was never in good shape but weighs the same.

The fact that this even needs to be explained to you makes me have serious doubts as to the validity of your claims to experience, even more so than your horribly incorrect misinformation.

Go back and read it again noob. 300lbs is what he used to weigh when he started.
Well you are typing like a child and not fully explaining yourself. Are are very innarticulate and a very poor writer. You are typing like you are talking in a bar over a beer or something, in fragments. Write clearly to avoid confusion.

And you still aren't coming out with the details. You're obviously trying to hide YOUR ignorance on the subject by avoiding the details and speaking in anecdotes that aren't even fully explained.

Hopefully someone else will chime in on this thread. Otherwise, it's ready to die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 11:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
Well you are typing like a child . . .
. . . and there's a reason for that.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:52 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Well you are typing like a child and not fully explaining yourself. Are are very innarticulate and a very poor writer. You are typing like you are talking in a bar over a beer or something, in fragments. Write clearly to avoid confusion.
Are you serious?

Quote:
That same friend of mine used high reps to lose over 100lbs. He now bench presses a **** hair under 500lbs.
Quote:
Not really. I'm 6'0 and a former football player. At my heaviest I was around 285. My friend bigger (around 5'11 and 300+).
Granted I accidently deleted "was" but even with that you knew (or should have known) what I was saying just in the context of the discussion.

Engage brain.

Quote:
And you still aren't coming out with the details. You're obviously trying to hide YOUR ignorance on the subject by avoiding the details and speaking in anecdotes that aren't even fully explained.

Quote:
What do you want me to post? Some scientific study full of graphs and charts, and official sounding data?

There are thousands and thousands of those online. They can be found to back up absolutely any theory. There are "logically sound studies" out there that claim the most ridiculous things. Contradictory theories all have their own respective articles that are very convincing.

Most of these "studies" are there to push an agenda, a product, a supplement, or a particular theory. Look at guys in the gym for your answers, look at bodybuilders and athletes. Don't look at articles and books

I learned what I learned from experience and observing the experiences of others. I've been in bodybuilding and weightlifting for 15 years. I've met some of the best bodybuilders in the world.

Where did you learn your stuff? Some guy peddling books online? It takes a LOT of info to fill a book. Therefore they need a lot of filler.....
So which is it? Do you want to debates facts and science or do you want us to take your word for it? Oh wait I get it...we're supposed to take your word for it because you have "experience" (which I doubt) and have "talked to top bodybuilders" yet anyone who challenges these absurd points obviously needs to have factual backing.

Seriously, you don't know what you're talking about and you rolled into Dodge acting like you do know. Unfortunately for you, you started a battle of wits and you've shown up unarmed.

Quote:
Hopefully someone else will chime in on this thread. Otherwise, it's ready to die.
It was ready to die the second you posted it.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:22 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
http://atlas.walagata.com/w/limeymk1/Gifs/e045.gif (broken link)

Old 09-14-2009, 07:00 AM

968 posts, read 2,589,580 times
nobody said anything about using hot pink 5lb dumbbells Mr. Bare.

I'm talking about using 60% of your 1 RM for metabolic work. Then if you took the time to READ the article and my original post you would see this is combined with HEAVY lifting. You aren't reading the posts, you are simply throwing in your OPINION you conjured up talking to some bodybuilder in the next cubicle.

Just go back on your treadmill and be quiet.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:52 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
I think high rep weightlifting with an extended rest period between sets is a really inefficient way of lifting. I think minimizing the rest period is key.

I broke my leg and obviously couldn't do my traditional cardio workouts: running, hiking and martial arts. So I had to resort to lifting weights. I found the key was to limit the amount of time between sets. I would do 3-4 sets of 8 of a particular weight and rest 30 seconds between sets. I picked the weight such that I probably would only get 6 or so on the last set to ensure that I taxed my muscles. I stuck to larger muscle groups: chest, back, shoulders, abs, lower back... I found that I actually did get stronger and kept my cardio reasonably intact. It was a tough 45 minute workout. I don't think do higher reps would help the effectiveness of this workout. Again, I think the key is minimizing the rest period such that your heartrate is still elevated by the next set but your muscles have had a chance to recover a little.

I do a lot of calisthenics as a warmup for martial arts: push ups, various abs, squats, lunges, burpees, mountain climbers... I don't rest between exercises, I just switch from one to the next. It is essentially an anaerobic workout with high rep weightlifting as a component. You will lose weight doing those kinds of exercises. I teach martial arts and have made reasonably fit people throw up within a 15 minute warmup. I would think that you could tailor a weights program in a similar manner that would be an effective weight loss program. It is a matter of keeping your heartrate elevated for an extended period of time, how you do it is not critical.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:15 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,584 times
Quote:

Inarticulate? (yes that's how you spell it)
I find it funny that people would attack someones idea, or experience by side stepping what the person is saying, and focusing on the persons grammar.
High reps can have a positive effect, in a circuit.

YouTube - Randy Couture Workout for MMA Conditioning

Old 09-14-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Inarticulate? (yes that's how you spell it)
I find it funny that people would attack someones idea, or experience by side stepping what the person is saying, and focusing on the persons grammar.
High reps can have a positive effect, in a circuit.

YouTube - Randy Couture Workout for MMA Conditioning
Like he said. That workout is great for ENDURANCE.

It is not good for fat loss though.

Also he is stringing together like 10 sets in a row. And yes, this is more of an aerobic workout. When you REST between sets, that's when you ruin it.

So now, is this what you are talking about? Doing huge supersets with a total of 100 reps of different movements?

Last edited by TheCaliforniaBear; 09-14-2009 at 03:15 PM..

Old 09-14-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustedfilth View Post
nobody said anything about using hot pink 5lb dumbbells Mr. Bare.

I'm talking about using 60% of your 1 RM for metabolic work. Then if you took the time to READ the article and my original post you would see this is combined with HEAVY lifting. You aren't reading the posts, you are simply throwing in your OPINION you conjured up talking to some bodybuilder in the next cubicle.

Just go back on your treadmill and be quiet.
I do high rep lifting too. Along with low rep lifting.

I do the high rep lifting to hit my MUSCLES in a different way though. And it also works your nervous system.

I never said that high rep lifting is useless. High rep lifting has some very good uses.

But burning fat is not one of them. Using these exercises to burn off fat is a myth. Using these excercises to hit your muscles in different ways is a good idea sometimes though.

I did read that article too by the way. He explain his theory very well. I personally think that it's all semantics though, and it doesn't really work. I've read tons of articles just like his before, and i've read tons of articles that explain other theories.

Which one is correct?

Old 09-14-2009, 04:12 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
But burning fat is not one of them. Using these exercises to burn off fat is a myth.
Results say otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness