Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 04:25 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Results say otherwise.
Actually they don't. Results show that it doesn't work. Look at the training routine of any bodybuilder, natural or not.

Thanks for your 3 word post though. Awesome. Really helps the discussion

High rep training helps a lot with performance for sure. Like whith what that MMA guy was going for. Lots of athletes do high rep training for performance enhancement purposes.

When it come to your physical appearence and body aesthetics, high rep lifting is not as useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 04:41 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
I do high rep lifting too. Along with low rep lifting.

I do the high rep lifting to hit my MUSCLES in a different way though. And it also works your nervous system.

I never said that high rep lifting is useless. High rep lifting has some very good uses.

But burning fat is not one of them. Using these exercises to burn off fat is a myth. Using these excercises to hit your muscles in different ways is a good idea sometimes though.

I did read that article too by the way. He explain his theory very well. I personally think that it's all semantics though, and it doesn't really work. I've read tons of articles just like his before, and i've read tons of articles that explain other theories.

Which one is correct?
I think you are lost in your own little world if you think exercise (yes this is how you spell it) will not burn fat.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
I think you are lost in your own little world if you think exercise (yes this is how you spell it) will not burn fat.
Ughhhhh

Yes, ANY excercise burns SOME fat. You can burn some fat even by walking slowly or cleaning your house. etc.

And yes, if you lift weight really hard, whether you are doing low or high reps, you will burn SOME fat.

However. Weight lifting is not a GOOD fat burning technique. Weight lifting is anaerobic. To burn fat, do aerobic movements.

Any movement of your body will burn some calories and fat. Weight lifting is just a very lousy way to go about doing it. Weight lifting is about working your muscles.

What you are saying is like if I were to say "I can travel from LA to Las Vegas by bicycle, so i'll just ride my bicycle. What's the point of driving?"

Yeah, you'll get to Vegas. But it will take you MUCH longer.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:01 PM

968 posts, read 2,589,580 times
go check out fitday and put in how many cals are burned in a one hour weight session. Granted the numbers aren't totally accurate but its a decent estimate.

Sure HIIT will burn more cals in a shorter period of time. But you can't just dismiss resistance training like you are.

So far all you've done is rip everyone who disagrees with you but have not offered any substantial argument. Post your routine dude lets see what you do. I'm curious to know your secret. I want to take my fitness level to an otherwise unattainable pinnacle of excellence.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustedfilth View Post
go check out fitday and put in how many cals are burned in a one hour weight session. Granted the numbers aren't totally accurate but its a decent estimate.

Sure HIIT will burn more cals in a shorter period of time. But you can't just dismiss resistance training like you are.

So far all you've done is rip everyone who disagrees with you but have not offered any substantial argument. Post your routine dude lets see what you do. I'm curious to know your secret. I want to take my fitness level to an otherwise unattainable pinnacle of excellence.
My theory is very simple.

Moving your entire body, quickly, for a long period of time, without resting. Is better for burning fat than moving individual body parts, for short periods of time, with rest inbetween the sets.

There is a direct relationship between how long, how fast and how much you move your body. And calories burned.

So it's better to move around a LOT, quickly, doing something like running, swimming, jumping rope or cycling to burn fat. Than to do little weight lifting motions with rest inbetween.

That's it. That's the whole thing......

It's based on this piece of common sense and logic. More body movement is better than less..... My theory is very, very easy to grasp. Any questions?

My routine changes every week. I work out on instinct and don't follow a strict routine.

I do a push/pull/leg split, hitting each muscle every 5-7 days.

As for sets and reps, I go by feel. Generally I make each lifting session 60 minutes long and do different things within that time period with every workout.

For example, sometimes i'll do 5 sets for chest, sometimes 9. Sometimes i'll do benches and flies, sometimes incline benches and modified dips.....

I threw my routine out the window pretty much. I excercise certain body parts on certain days, but as for specific excercies, sets and reps, I do something different each and every time.

But of course I always do the compound movements like squats, bench, deads, shoulder press.

For cardio I usually ride a bicycle outside. I hate doing cardio on a machine.

But right now my body fat is very low and i'm ripped, so I don't really do much cardio at all. I'm trying to bulk up at this point.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:20 PM

968 posts, read 2,589,580 times
Well it sounds like you have a well put together routine.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustedfilth View Post
Well it sounds like you have a well put together routine.
I've been lifting for 15 years and i've learned to listen to my body. Instead of robotically going through a routine written on a piece of paper.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Ughhhhh
Yes, ANY excercise burns SOME fat. You can burn some fat even by walking slowly or cleaning your house. etc.
And yes, if you lift weight really hard, whether you are doing low or high reps, you will burn SOME fat.
However. Weight lifting is not a GOOD fat burning technique. Weight lifting is anaerobic. To burn fat, do aerobic movements.
Any movement of your body will burn some calories and fat. Weight lifting is just a very lousy way to go about doing it. Weight lifting is about working your muscles.
What you are saying is like if I were to say "I can travel from LA to Las Vegas by bicycle, so i'll just ride my bicycle. What's the point of driving?"
Yeah, you'll get to Vegas. But it will take you MUCH longer.
Some fat....
calorie burning calculator - Google Search
From this google search.
Calorie Calculator... find out how many calories you burn doing an activity
Fitness Jumpsite: Calorie Calculator
Calorie calculator - Diet and nutrition- msnbc.com
Calories Burned Calculator, Very Accurate, Quick and Easy.
These sites disagree with your "theory", which isn't a theory, not even a hypothesis, just and idea.

Wow, I tell people to mix up their training and you translate it into "I can travel from LA to Las Vegas by bicycle, so i'll just ride my bicycle. What's the point of driving?".

Don't stick to just aerobic exercises, mix in some weight training.

Stop telling people training other then "aerobic" exercises that they won't burn fat.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I've been lifting for 15 years and i've learned to listen to my body. Instead of robotically going through a routine written on a piece of paper.
Yes same here, I change my routine depending on how my body reacts with the current load I have on it.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Yes same here, I change my routine depending on how my body reacts with the current load I have on it.
Well are you going for muscle mass too?

I am a male. I'm going for maximum muscle mass and minimal fat. I'm going for a strong, muscular look.

You sound like you are simply trying to be thin. Are you male or female?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness