Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 02:51 PM

325 posts, read 863,267 times

Advertisements

Don't worry. Most employers (especially the larger ones) account for these kind of costs, including people quitting and moving on. That is not to say they like it, and don't do as much as they can to avoid it, but like insurance they figure in the percentages that will be lost into their budgets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 06:15 PM

45 posts, read 161,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I’ve been here for just two weeks now.

I’ve given up hope of ever having a clean car in the winter. I did go to the Whale Wash to knock most of the dirt off.

I can’t compare North Dakota to California. While I do miss my family, friends and dog I’m happy to call Fargo my home.
GREAT! Eventually, if you plan it right, you can get that dog.

As for a clean car in the winter, surely you jest! It ain't gonna happen. And be careful about trying yo wash your car unless you can count on a day or two of above freezing temps. Otherwise, a lot of things on your car will freeze so as to be unusable - power windows, for instance. In Fargo people clean out their cars in the spring after night time frosts get fewer and lighter. Then, by all means go get your car cleaned at Don's Car Wash, 13th Avenue South, Fargo. Avoid the Moorhead Don's. The Fargo Don's does a much more thorough job for anyone.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:46 PM

254 posts, read 513,473 times
Congrats! Thanks for the update - it's good to hear that you are doing well and that the job prospects are plentiful. The economy and the amazingly nice people are some of the best aspects of Fargo. Clean cars are tough to maintain but that's a trade-off for having a mild winter. Be glad it's not -40. :-) Best wishes as you continue interviewing -- there is nothing wrong with exploring options. I know a move can be difficult but hopefully you'll make lots of new Fargo friends. Just keep hanging out at the grocery store, right?

Old 02-13-2012, 07:39 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,065,523 times
Quote:
Update: While I have a decent paying job in Fargo. The last few days my phone has been going crazy with inquiries for interviews. I feel guilty because I’m taking some of the interviews. If someone offers about 15% increase plus in salary I might jump.
Do you think, for one moment, that an employer wouldn't hesitate to lay you off or otherwise ********* if it made financial sense for them? Do you think an employer wouldn't hesitate to fire you if you made a mistake on the job? Employers also won't hesitate to engage in nepotism and favoritism when it comes to hiring, raises, and promotions. Don't feel badly about pursuing your monetary selfish interest. If you don't look out for yourself, no one else will.

Employer loyalty to employees disappeared decades ago. At least it did in other parts of the country. I don't make the rules, and I don't necessarily like them, but that's just how the game is played.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:07 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
True, However, you do want to remember that N.D. is full of "small town" feeling. It doesn't take long to make a rep for yourself if you make a habit of changing jobs. Not to say that you shouldn't take the best deal....just want to clear the air, this small town mentality means businesses and companies have connections, church, civic groups etc. And the same "word of mouth" that can destroy a business when they pull shenanigans can be put out of business w/ negatives discussed over the fence, and is equally a risk for individuals.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:53 AM

15 posts, read 45,710 times
Default guilt is wasted energy IMHO

Quote:
The cost of background checks, drug tests, training etc. I feel a bit guilty like I've wasted their money should I quit and move on.

I just got back from another interview a few minutes ago.
its a job, not a girlfriend. nobody sane takes it seriously in that way. doubtful they will even remember your name two days after you're gone.

when the job decides its time for you to go, does their 'guilt' go very far towards helping you to pay your rent?

do whats right for you. in the long run, all that job hopping is creating stress (google what life events are the most stressful) and its gonna catch up with you. Hopefully when it does you've got enough money socked away to recuperate on a big beach with a gal in a little bikini.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:49 PM

611 posts, read 1,456,385 times
I just wanted to say, in regards to jobs...I have found the pay to be MUCH lower here. Im here staffed through an agency, so I am getting a "big-city" wage, but after applying to a couple jobs (I have been thinking about staying) I have been discouraged by offers of 27-29K. That is too much of a pay drop to consider it. I dont understand why the pay in Fargo is so low, especially with employers saying that they can not find people.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:27 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times
I'm taking in the bigger picture when it comes to cost of living and quality of life. I'm here to stay.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:29 PM

26,421 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
I just wanted to say, in regards to jobs...I have found the pay to be MUCH lower here. Im here staffed through an agency, so I am getting a "big-city" wage, but after applying to a couple jobs (I have been thinking about staying) I have been discouraged by offers of 27-29K. That is too much of a pay drop to consider it. I dont understand why the pay in Fargo is so low, especially with employers saying that they can not find people.
Pay is low due the a huge pool of younger people that employers in Fargo can draw from due to North Dakota State University being a sizable presence. Also, Fargo is in a Right to Work and a rural state so one would expect wages and salaries to be lower well outside the oil patch.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:18 AM

419 posts, read 1,396,965 times
The tone among the chamber of Commerce in FM and the Greater FM Economic Development Authority has changed somewhat in recent years toward recruiting firms that offer professional level positions. However, previous to that for many years, the business community's advertising slogan to out of state companies was "Selling $7.50"--they promoted the fact that there would be 100+ applicants for a $7.50/hr hour FT job. And many times, they were right.

They sold us all short.
Underemployment remains a HUGE issue in Fargo-Moorhead that doesn't ever show up in the glossy relocation brochures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo