Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 03:00 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
So, you'd rather have something not tested; in other words, tested on you...?
No, I would rather have something that is made with ingredients that are relatively harmless, or even edible. I would not want to put anything on my face or body that would be harmful to me or to another animal.

This is a false choice, but IF there were no cosmetics that are safe, stylish attractive and cruelty free, I would go without.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 03:08 PM

410 posts, read 743,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
No, I would rather have something that is made with ingredients that are relatively harmless, or even edible. I would not want to put anything on my face or body that would be harmful to me or to another animal.

This is a false choice, but IF there were no cosmetics that are safe, stylish attractive and cruelty free, I would go without.
Same here. It isn't worth it to me.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:09 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,641,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Most cosmetic companies do some animal testing, anyone here conscious of this and feel an obligation to avoid/boycott these companies?
Yes, my whole family is very conscious of this and we try not to deliberately use any products that have been tested on animals.

They are other ways to test new products that do not involve animal cruelty but like most things, the bottom line is profits.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:33 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
I wish there was a (voluntary) program for testing cosmetics, body products, and even clinical trials for medications on prisoners.

They could sign up to do it voluntarily, maybe for a reduced sentence or some privilege. No one would be as upset as they are about animal testing when you compare sweet innocent animals with convicted violent criminals. Even prison rights advocates would have to acknowledge that it's completely voluntary, and the prisoner would be compensated in some way. And that was we'd have testing results that are much more applicable to humans.

I'd make it a point to especially choose products that are "prisoner-tested."

Old 01-10-2012, 03:36 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
Do you think our vanity is more important than the life or well being of another animal?
I think our health and lives ARE more important than the well-being of animals, yes. I can't share in the trendy thrill among humans being happy about serving as guinea pigs whatsoever! In fact, this sort of brain-washing is mind-boggling to me. Oh, and I don't subscribe to the theory proclaiming me to be "another animal," either.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:49 PM

I know lots of people who have participated in clinical trials for drugs. They were not mistreated at all, and they are usually compensated. Plus, most have said they felt like they had done something important that would help others.

There was no brain-washing. It just might not be something you'd choose to do, so you don't understand it. But many willingly and enthusiastically choose to to it.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:59 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I know lots of people who have participated in clinical trials for drugs. They were not mistreated at all, and they are usually compensated. Plus, most have said they felt like they had done something important that would help others.
Yes, there are such people. They're not exactly the majority of people, though. Also, hardly any of them would do it if it they didn't have certain conditions they're obviously interested in curing and are desperate. That's comparing apples to oranges.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:21 PM

It's true that a lot of people go into clincial trials to try to get help with their own problems and conditions that have seemed untreatable. But many do it when they're in good health. My college was near several large pharmaceutical companies, and lots of young male college students would volunteer for drug trials (I wanted to do it, but they were only taking males). I'm sure some were just motivated by the money. But lots were pre-med, chem, and bio majors who had a true interest in the science.

I really can't say what constitutes the "majority" of people who volunteer for drug trials, but you really can't either. I can only go by the 60-70 people I've known who have participated in clinical trials, but just in that small sampling, the majority have done it for either altruistic reasons or respect for science, along with the compensation being offered, and they did it with fully informed consent.

I don't boycott products that have used animal testing, as I know that most laboratory trials of drugs that involve animal subjects have strict safety and ethics protocols, and they minimize "suffering" as much as possible. But if I'm buying some cosmetic product that says no animal testing, I willl lean toward them, all other things being equal. I'll still consider price, quality, and my own personal preferences.

I have a little more of a problem with all the "over-kill" in cosmetic product testing. I'm not too concerned if my powder blush was tested on a rabbit. But some of the testing I've read about makes no sense science-wise or safety-wise. Like testing hair-removal cream on dogs, but instead of using the normal strength that would be on the market for humans, they test it at 10X, 50X, 100X the strength on the animals, until they get skin burns, eye damage, etc. I guess my common-sense wants to ask, "Why test it at 100X the concentration on dogs when people will never use it at that concentration?"

I'm more inclined to prefer human testing, as long as informed consent is given. Also, people will speak up and report something that's just discomfort, before it's actually pain. Most animals don't show pain via their behavior, as in the wild a sign of weakness would mean being a target for predators. So you don't know they have a painful reaction until it's very severe, or you can actually see lesions on the skin. Beside, the person can give more descriptive info, like it's a little itchy, it burns a bit, it's tingling, or ouch that really stings. Can't get that detailed info from other animals.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:53 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Yeah if it's going to be used by humans makes more sense to test on humans. It's not like eyeshadow or something can kill you, is it? lol

Old 01-11-2012, 02:59 AM

1,353 posts, read 2,430,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Same here. Animal testing is torture. I only use products that are not tested on animals. Some I buy, some I make myself. There are plenty of choices. You just have to be careful to make sure that the entire supply chain is certified. Many products say "not tested on animals" and while that may be true for the finished product, it does not necessarily mean that none of the ingredients were tested on animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty