Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 09:43 AM

253 posts, read 558,157 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't recommend accutance, it can do massive damage to your liver, which is not something anyone should be messing with, you can't go out in sunlight, and you can't drink. Make an appointment with a dermatologist and if you want to conceal them in the mean time use studio fix by MAC, it's high coverage and does a good job.

I've been having problems with acne a bit lately, turns out it's my vitamins so if you are taking vitamins with any sort of oils in it, that might be contributing to the problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 10:16 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
accutane worked for my teenagers, but it was closely monitored and taken for a limited duration.

still there were side effects and hopefully we have made it though them. Both children are grown and doing OK.

At your age, I would talk with a good dermatologist and get that advice. The effects can be dramatic but as an adult you need/want to get on with your life. I wouldn't mess around any longer.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:59 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,758 times
Wow! Thanks for all the advice and your thoughts, it really means a lot to me and I am going to definitely take it into consideration. As for accutane, I don't know if I would touch that.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Aloe gel treats the acne, kills the red and is oil free. You can also carry a visine bottle to drop on really red ones through the day. It works amazing. Sounds like you need to get a layer of dead skin off + something to treat it.

What exactly have you used?
Do you wash your bedding daily?

I was told about this aloe vera gel. I might give that a try, though I am afraid my face will get irritated.

I switch my pillow sheets weekly and spray my bed down every other day or so.

I tried Pro Active, Nutragena, Castile soap, rose oil, washing my face with baking soda, all types of face scrubbers, tried all types of face lotions, face washers, etc.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
First off, I just want to say that acne/ your appearance in general do not define you as a person. What matters is what kind of person you are on the inside. I know it must be extremely difficult and that your acne makes you feel, as you stated, "insecure", but keep your head up high and try to not let it affect you too much. Things will get better.

Thanks a lot, and I definitely do not let it define who I am! Never have, never will! I don't let people try to definite me by my pimples either.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:43 AM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I was told about this aloe vera gel. I might give that a try, though I am afraid my face will get irritated.

I tried Pro Active, Nutragena, Castile soap, rose oil, washing my face with baking soda, all types of face scrubbers, tried all types of face lotions, face washers, etc.
Lital, probably an odd question - are you taking multivitamins at all?
I dunno.. something like GNC brand for example?
I know it made difference for my kid at certain point in time ( not that he had it bad, but still I've noticed the difference.)

Old 02-19-2012, 12:03 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
Have you tried this product yet? Carley's Clear and Smooth Acne Treatment (this is the one I use). they also make a stronger version: Carley's Clear and Smooth Kick A$$ Industrial Strength Acne Treatment

Here are reasons I recommend it:

1. I've had really great results from it myself- I get acne on my upper chest area and nothing else but this product consistently keeps it clear

2. It has a return policy that never expires

3. Its made in the US and all ingredients are listed on the label

4. Its very affordable.

5. Its very easy to use- just use in the shower once per day and then wash with a washcloth and bar of soap that is included with your order.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:24 PM

19,717 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:

What is your current method and routine for facial cleansing/moisturizing?

I used to break out here and there, but after I stopped using moisturizers I rarely get outbreaks. A good gel/foaming cleanser is probably what you need.

I also use a mix of organic coconut oil, vitamin e oil a couple times a week in the shower as an exfoliator. Just warm it up in your hands and massage it into your skin, then with a warm wash cloth, gently wipe your face down and follow with a cleanser.

When I need to moisturize, I use shea butter/coconut oil. I know it sounds crazy, because I had oily skin, but it really works great and heals problem areas. Raw natural shea butter is a God send!

Aloe vera gel is good too, it won't irritate your skin (though it does sting the eyes a little bit before it dries). Sometimes it can make your face feel tight though.

-As far as having high levels of testosterone, this is why people will ask you about your diet, because you can help lower it by changing up your foods.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:19 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,412 times
See another dermatologist. There is help for you out there.I did a course of Accutane and it was the best thing I ever did and it got rid of everything. Don't waste your time with OTC stuff make an apointment with a different derm now. The sooner the better-the more scarring you can avoid the better.
Hang in there!

Old 02-21-2012, 12:35 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Quote:

Well when you are breaking out like this try changing daily until it gets under control. Treat it just like you would an infected wound. (always fresh dressings). If you spray your bed down that can actually be causing it too. I would skip that from now on. Also skip using dryer sheets on your bedding.

I would soak in a tub with some sea salt and tea tree oil. (allergy test that tea tree oil first) and then after you soak about 20 minutes use a fresh clean body brush and work a little sea salt and acne wash into a sud pile on it and then just scrub off all over. This will help your skin heal, take away inflammation and the tea tree is good to treat acne. During the scrub phase you will be getting the medicated soap onto your skin and not just the top dead layer. You want to leave it sit on your skin for a minute or two.

Panoxyl is a drug store brand that is a lot stronger than ProActive. Try that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty