Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:46 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,497 times

Advertisements

Haircuts - once a year $45 - I get my hair cut for the summer since it is so thick, I don't use any products in my hair, no hairspray, gel, mousse, not heat styling, no coloring, etc. The people who cut my hair are always remarking on how healthy it its.
Shampoo - Suave <$2/bottle - No conditioner, go through maybe 5 bottles a year.
Nails - $0 - No polish, just clean and trimmed with clippers at home
Makeup - $0 - The only thing I use is lip balm, but one tube lasts me about 1 year so the cost is negligible.

I'm as low maintainence as they get. Even in the winter when my hair is longish it gets washed, towel dried and then put into a ponytail or sometimes a bun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 07:48 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
I love beauty and spend a lot on it because I LOVE IT! Its feminine and makes me proud to be a woman. I don't NEED it to impress or attract anyone as I get the same attention when I'm at the grocery store makeup free as I do at a gathering with a full make up face. I don't see anything wrong with a woman loving to pamper herself. As far as the spending amount, I'm not putting exact figures but they're all high end brands.

MAKEUP- Foundation, mascara, eyeshadow, eyeliner, concealer, loose powder, eyebrow powder, lipstick, lip gloss, blush.

SKIN CARE- Face wash, toner, moisturizer, face mask, body scrub, body cream, eye cream, perfume, body bronzer, Mani & pedi every 3 weeks. I get the regular American manicure and if it chips before 3 weeks, I paint my nails clear until my next salon visit. My pedicure always last the full 3 weeks. Spa body massage every 3 months.

HAIR- I've learn to do my hair myself so I don't spend as much money as I use too especially since I wear my natural curls 7 months out the year. All salon brands shampoo, deep conditioner, 2 leave-in conditioners 1 cream & 1 liquid, 2 moisturizers 1 for curls & 1 for straight hair, gel, heat protectant

Yep its a lot but beauty is what I enjoy and take great pride in and my finances allow me the luxury to do so.

Some of us feel feminine and are proud to be a woman in blue jeans and an old tshirt doing yard work.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:49 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Ha! I wear a weave, sew in...

The most expensive part of it is the hair. Quality hair that won't tangle or come out isn't cheap. I've found a woman in a little basement in the middle of nowhere that will do my hair for only 70 bucks.

Holy crap!Thats a great deal and it looks like a 1200 dollar job!

I would have to buy euro hair (white girl/fine hair) and oh...i know...guess what made me decide against it. LOL! It was something stupid like over 800$ just for the hair part not even counting the salon fee. Asian hair is too thick and Indian hair is too thick and rough to match my texture.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:53 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Holy crap!Thats a great deal and it looks like a 1200 dollar job!

I would have to buy euro hair (white girl/fine hair) and oh...i know...guess what made me decide against it. LOL! It was something stupid like over 800$ just for the hair part not even counting the salon fee. Asian hair is too thick and Indian hair is too thick and rough to match my texture.
Thanks!

I don't know where you live, but you shouldn't have to pay 800 for hair.

Euro hair is usually no more than 35 bucks an ounce in a hair supply in Manhattan and I use 10 ounces.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:00 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
Quote:
Do you think it's more or less than average? If so why?
Let me see...

I think I am what is referred to as a "minimalist."

About once every two months I buy another pump bottle of Liquiderm fragrance free for sensitive skin for my face, and maybe a tube of Clearasil once a year. I probably buy a new tube of toothpaste every six weeks, along with shampoo and conditioner. My hairbrush is new, and my dentist gives me a new toothbrush.

Lipstick? Maybe a new tube every six weeks, or when I feel like a new color.

I do the manicure/pedicure every six months to a year, and just freshen up with a cuticle stick and lotion in between.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks!

I don't know where you live, but you shouldn't have to pay 800 for hair.

Euro hair is usually no more than 35 bucks an ounce in a hair supply in Manhattan and I use 10 ounces.

Hair Extensions.com :: The Hair Professionals :: Human Hair Extensions :: European Straight 32" by Wig Pro Wefted Hair Extensions

I didnt buy from there.

But I would have to use about that to get what I want (10 oz)

Those ones are about 300 per 4oz. So thats 900$.
I really should probably look for more indie owned hair shops. Maybe I can find a better deal. The ones I have looked at didn't have euro. The lady stopped carrying it because it would get shop lifted so much.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:23 AM

41,956 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Um...this is the fashion & beauty forum. There are financial forums here, I suggest you take that question there.
Someone simply was questioning your priorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm fairly low-maintenance in this department, so my expenses are probably much lower than average.
Ditto. I get my hair cut every six weeks, and then color it myself -- total about $40, or a generous $400 a year. I haven't purchased shampoo or conditioner in seven years because of a good deal I got on a case of Nexxus way back when. I use very little in the way of other hair products; maybe some gel when my poker-straight hair is misbehaving.

Skin care I've splurged on lately -- I bought this Mary Kay package of moisturizers and cleansers last May, and am just now running out. So it seems while I spent $90 initially, those products were a good investment, last a long time, and my skin feels better than it did just using any old cleanser and my old standby Oil of Olay.

Now that I'm older and the ozone layer is thinner, I spend more on sunscreen than I used to. I buy a bottle of Vitamin E oil every few months, and mix it in with my usual moisturizing lotion. I usually use the scented lotions from Bath and Body Works; I haven't purchased cologne in ages.

I also wear minimal makeup, and only in the winter -- foundation and lip gloss on a daily basis, and blush if I'm feeling particularly blah.

I do my own manicures, pedicures and facials. Maybe once a year I'll splurge and treat myself to a manicure or facial.

Quote:
I like looking nice, I just don't feel it's necessary for me to spend a ton of money on it.

Quote:
I work with a lot of high maintenance women and from waxes to spas, they spend a ton of money!
Get a new job; they're a bad influence on you.

Quote:
Sweetie, I'm black, my hair isn't like yours. Ask your black female friends that work in jobs predominated by whites how much they spend on their hair.
Hmmm. Most of the black women I work with wear their hair natural, and they are downright beautiful.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:39 AM

Not everyone has the texture to "go natural" as a FYI.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:51 AM

184 posts, read 702,872 times
i have not paid for a hair cut in at least five years [do it all myself], and i've never paid to have someone color it [again, do it all myself, costs ~$50 total per year]. never had a manicure, pedicure, facial or any other spa treatments.

i buy shampoo [~$8] and conditioner [whatever is of moderate quality and smells nice, <$10] twice a year. the only makeup i ever wear is my drawn-on eyebrows; i buy revlon liquid eyeliner [~$6] once a month. i buy moisturizer and cleanser for my face once a year [<$15 each]. i have a bottle of body lotion [~$4] and body wash [~$6] that will last a year or more.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:10 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Not everyone has the texture to "go natural" as a FYI.
Yes they do. No one has to put chemicals or weaves in their hair (which I'm not against BTW). Some people look bad with natural hair because they don't take the time to care for their hair or they wear styles that do not suit their hair texture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty