Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 02:42 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
i dont like tall broads. tall = huge fingers and ankles and feet. manly features = NO
Actually, those are things I lucked out on. I have VERY dainty, small ankles and size 10 feet, which suits me just fine. I also have what my old piano teacher called 'piano fingers' because my hands are also fairly small with long fingers so I can reach some pretty difficult chords while playing.

My sister on the other hand has big ankles, short, thick fingers and big feet for her size, but she's only 5'5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 03:12 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,022 times
Obviously, I believe women should possess curves;Period! Give me the Hips and Thighs (Can't explain this fixation).
I've always thought bigger men enjoyed bigger women,NOT.

Barely scrapping 6'3 I go for Curves; my buddy 6'6 will only date a woman under 5'5 and slim as a pickle.

Most of my Marines around base usually weight 30+lbs less then their spouse. If ever you ponder where all the thick busty women disappeared to; check a military installation.
Some people breed for linebackers & ballplayers I suppose we breed for future Warriors, OHHH RAHH!

Old 06-21-2012, 03:18 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
WTF?!? not fair! You guys are making me jealous wih your small feet!!!

At least you can put your feet in some awesome shoes. My hands are not my favorite feature. I wouldn't call them man hands, but they are not dainty. It helps when emptying a grocery cart because I can pick up the canned goods two at a time.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:27 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times
Quote:
LOL. When I'm at sporting functions with the kids, men will ask me how tall my husband is. You should hear the cries of disappointment when they learn my kids weren't given better odds in the genetic pool when it comes to height.
While exploring a used bookstore, I came across a book originally published in the late 19th century which had a title along the lines of "Everything you need to know about human sexuality". I flipped through it and happened to land on a page which explained that when tall men marry tall women, they have very tall children and very tall people tend to imbeciles therefore the tall should only marry the short, the skinny should marry the fat, the weak should marry the strong etc etc.

So according to turn of the century medicine, you probably saved your children from being nitwits.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:28 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
Obviously, I believe women should possess curves;Period! Give me the Hips and Thighs (Can't explain this fixation).
I've always thought bigger men enjoyed bigger women,NOT.

Barely scrapping 6'3 I go for Curves; my buddy 6'6 will only date a woman under 5'5 and slim as a pickle.

Most of my Marines around base usually weight 30+lbs less then their spouse. If ever you ponder where all the thick busty women disappeared to; check a military installation.
Some people breed for linebackers & ballplayers I suppose we breed for future Warriors, OHHH RAHH!

What do you consider curves?

I've seen it used as a way to describe a size 4 with an hourglass shape up to the morbidly obese

Old 06-21-2012, 04:44 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
What do you consider curves?

I've seen it used as a way to describe a size 4 with an hourglass shape up to the morbidly obese
Morbidly obese women are curvy just not my prefrence of curvy! I love women with numbers closer to 10 oppose to O! Honestly I can not tell the # size of a woman unless she divulged the intel.

*Not saying a size 4 can not be extremely curvaceous. I am more of the "round to the nearest 10" (5 and above). Very rare to see a size 4 or less with great thick meaty thighs ( doesn't mean disgusting) attached to wonderful hips.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:58 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,949,417 times
Quote:
WTF?!? not fair! You guys are making me jealous wih your small feet!!!

Keep it under 11.5 D mens and we're good. I have jokes made about MY clodhoppers all the time. I couldn't imagine a wife with bigger.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:15 PM

My fav....on a 5' to 5' 5" frame......

Curvy Cuties and Wonderful Women / plus size

http://swimwearandlingerie.files.wor...rvy-kate-2.jpg

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e-bra-aw09.jpg

Curvy Kate.....shhhhhweeeeew!

Old 06-23-2012, 11:52 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
Someone was talking about pressure men put on women... I agree that men have much more unrealistic standards than the fashion industry or the general media. The latter simply require thinness & being toned. Well hey, at least dieting & working out can bring many women somewhat closer to this. There are lots of healthy women who maintain a size 0-8 body without any extreme measures (and those larger than this are often accepted as within this ideal as long as they have a defined waist & aren't flabby).

Men, however, seem to want generally slender & petite/average height women with cartoonishly HUGE boobs & butts/hips (in proportion to the rest of their body). This is impossible for most women outside of surgery (witness Kim Kardasian, who looks like she was cooked up in a laboratory run by Maxim or FHM magazine). Most women don't have hourglass bodies (including those plumper, plus-sized & even obese ones who go around calling themselves curvy), and even the curvy-on-the-bottom pears & busty-on-top cones/apples are rarer than the banana/ruler shape (which, IMO, is often a very well-proportioned body type, just not exaggeratedly feminine).

You can generally control weight & muscle gain, but you can't really control how body fat is distributed, so that is why I find the male ideal much more unrealistic & narrow. I think Scarlett Johannseen (in her hey-day anyway), Salma Hayek, and Christina Hendricks (oft mentioned "ideal" women) are far from possessing common body types (although Hendricks is probably not so curvy without her girdle...and I'd argue that Salma & Scarlett probably have breast implants). To get those bodies, you either have to have won the genetic lottery in terms of fat distribution or have surgery.

While VS models are quite popular with many men, true, many also don't realize that these models are only busty when wearing the VS bras that have 5 inches of padding (AND worn with chicken cutlets). They also twist their bodies to exaggerate their hip/waist ratio & stick out their butts to look plumper in that area.

Curvy to these men tends to mean "relatively busty", especially with a defined waist, whether thin or not. I DO think these women look great in candid photos too (where they are significantly less busty), but then, there, they are more of the woman's ideal (long, lean, but with a feminine shape, albeit not a cartoonish one). For another example, Kate Upton is truly busty, but the rest of her body is rather straight & shapeless, yet I've seen most men call her "curvy", which further supports that curvy often just means big boobs on a slender frame.

Of course, this brings up the fact that male terminology for body types is dramatically different from the typical meanings women attach. It's also a matter of perception, involving the people's perception of themselves too. I've been called everything from beanpole & bony to slender & curvy, with the former coming from a tall, stocky guy & the latter coming from a short, slim guy. My ex once even said I had thick thighs (& many women would scoff at this if they saw they saw my size 2 thighs which do not touch), which are fightin' words to many a woman, but apparently a compliment from a man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Hmm, I wonder how height really affects attraction. If I had an identical twin, same size and build but 8 inches shorter, would she get the same, more, or less attention from men? I have to guess she'd get less. Even if the fashion industry disappeared, I would imagine a lot of men see very tall women as a novelty or something rare to be conquered or checked off their list. I think that alone would mean more attention than you'd get as a shorty, but only because it's something different from the norm. If the average height for women was 5'10 instead of 5'4, I imagine the rare petite woman would be the one getting extra attention at the bar.
Being taller than average definitely will definitely get you attention (being out of the ordinary in anyway generally does)....whether that means those noticing want to date you is another story though. I'm only barely on the tall side in the US at 5'8, and I've always been pleased with my height (because clothes LOVE me), but I can't deny that it's likely been a turn-off to men when it comes to dating. I see the facial expressions change when they stand beside me & I'm at their eye level in heels, when a moment ago, across the room, I looked appealing. Although it too gets attention, being thinner than average is probably a turn-off as well. My body type is ideal or admirable to a lot of women though (because they have told me so), but probably not the male ideal if you listen to their descriptions. I'm far too thin & just slightly too tall for most, unless of course, their terminology really means that slim and curvy VS model "illusion" and not something closer to Salma Hayek or Scarlett Johanssen.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Someone was talking about pressure men put on women... I agree that men have much more unrealistic standards than the fashion industry or the general media. The latter simply require thinness & being toned. Well hey, at least dieting & working out can bring many women somewhat closer to this. There are lots of healthy women who maintain a size 0-8 body without any extreme measures (and those larger than this are often accepted as within this ideal as long as they have a defined waist & aren't flabby).

Men, however, seem to want generally slender & petite/average height women with cartoonishly HUGE boobs & butts/hips (in proportion to the rest of their body). This is impossible for most women outside of surgery (witness Kim Kardasian, who looks like she was cooked up in a laboratory run by Maxim or FHM magazine). Most women don't have hourglass bodies (including those plumper, plus-sized & even obese ones who go around calling themselves curvy), and even the curvy-on-the-bottom pears & busty-on-top cones/apples are rarer than the banana/ruler shape (which, IMO, is often a very well-proportioned body type, just not exaggeratedly feminine).

You can generally control weight & muscle gain, but you can't really control how body fat is distributed, so that is why I find the male ideal much more unrealistic & narrow. I think Scarlett Johannseen (in her hey-day anyway), Salma Hayek, and Christina Hendricks (oft mentioned "ideal" women) are far from possessing common body types (although Hendricks is probably not so curvy without her girdle...and I'd argue that Salma & Scarlett probably have breast implants). To get those bodies, you either have to have won the genetic lottery in terms of fat distribution or have surgery.

While VS models are quite popular with many men, true, many also don't realize that these models are only busty when wearing the VS bras that have 5 inches of padding (AND worn with chicken cutlets). They also twist their bodies to exaggerate their hip/waist ratio & stick out their butts to look plumper in that area.

Curvy to these men tends to mean "relatively busty", especially with a defined waist, whether thin or not. I DO think these women look great in candid photos too (where they are significantly less busty), but then, there, they are more of the woman's ideal (long, lean, but with a feminine shape, albeit not a cartoonish one). For another example, Kate Upton is truly busty, but the rest of her body is rather straight & shapeless, yet I've seen most men call her "curvy", which further supports that curvy often just means big boobs on a slender frame.

Of course, this brings up the fact that male terminology for body types is dramatically different from the typical meanings women attach. It's also a matter of perception, involving the people's perception of themselves too. I've been called everything from beanpole & bony to slender & curvy, with the former coming from a tall, stocky guy & the latter coming from a short, slim guy. My ex once even said I had thick thighs (& many women would scoff at this if they saw they saw my size 2 thighs which do not touch), which are fightin' words to many a woman, but apparently a compliment from a man...

Being taller than average definitely will definitely get you attention (being out of the ordinary in anyway generally does)....whether that means those noticing want to date you is another story though. I'm only barely on the tall side in the US at 5'8, and I've always been pleased with my height (because clothes LOVE me), but I can't deny that it's likely been a turn-off to men when it comes to dating. I see the facial expressions change when they stand beside me & I'm at their eye level in heels, when a moment ago, across the room, I looked appealing. Although it too gets attention, being thinner than average is probably a turn-off as well. My body type is ideal or admirable to a lot of women though (because they have told me so), but probably not the male ideal if you listen to their descriptions. I'm far too thin & just slightly too tall for most, unless of course, their terminology really means that slim and curvy VS model "illusion" and not something closer to Salma Hayek or Scarlett Johanssen.
Nah, mine's an easy one. More fit what I like than many other mens. You can't go into ANYWHERE without the 5' -5' 4 (5) curvy ones running into you. I have a family full of them. It's probably one of the most common types, at least around here. As a matter of fact, it's hell trying to find any still single!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty