Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 05:12 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,981,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
You're one pretentious Debbie downer. People don't go shopping to find enlightenment, it's just fun. No need to act like youre the star of a classic Apple commercial.
Yeah, I guess you're right. I don't remember those Apple commericals, but I think I get what you're talking about. People are still like that today in regard to Apple VS PC - they think they're special for being different and using Apple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 05:18 PM

484 posts, read 854,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
It's called 'herding the sheep'. H&M and similarly-marketed stores are merely corrals. It won't be long and H&M will fall out of fashion and the herd will be corraled somewhere else new and shiny.
Guess you're unaware H&M has been in business since 1947, It is ranked the second largest global clothing retailer, just behind Spain-based Inditex (parent company of ZARA), and leads over third largest global clothing retailer, United States based GAP Inc.

H&M - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-08-2012, 06:56 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
I've seen some good finds on others. I recently visited one for the first time and I wasn't impressed; it seemed to be another version of Forever 21.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peerage View Post
Guess you're unaware H&M has been in business since 1947, It is ranked the second largest global clothing retailer, just behind Spain-based Inditex (parent company of ZARA), and leads over third largest global clothing retailer, United States based GAP Inc.

H&M - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
GAP is the parent company of Old Navy and Banana Republic. I'm not sure why you're smacking yourself in the head because they're the third largest global clothing retailer. If you feel snotty toward GAP, well, then you understand how I feel toward H&M.

Most brands have long histories, I know this, but only in recent years has H&M blown up as widespread trendy in America, where people have been waiting and excited for one to come to their city. Like I said, it will pass and the next thing will come along. That's what trends do. I admit I didn't even look at their website until today (I'm a dude) and that the stuff looks more decent than I thought and the prices are reasonable. (Ultimately though this is 'costume clothing', like 'costume jewelry'). But I've seen this stuff come and go long enough that I'm used to it, and thus wasn't excited when it came to my town like some other people.

The funny thing is it's all stuff you can get at existing stores, from Target to Macy's, for the same prices. I guess that's why the trendyness and supposed 'wow' factor of the place is irritating. If Target had launched the H&M line in their stores here in the United States, or even at Macy's, I highly doubt it would be as trendy, even being the very same thing.

I do realize some people don't have the ability (skill?) to go in a department store or existing stores and put together the same stuff the way an H&M store will basically do for you. Many or most folks seem to have to be force fed and told what goes together and how to put together a style. I guess that's part of the reason independent clothing stores fitting specific niches have risen at the expense of department stores.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:59 PM

484 posts, read 854,915 times
I'm far from snotty, and never spoke ill of Gap, mind you I have a pair of Gap jeans on right now loll. BTW H&M has been in America for about 12 years. You're the one who is CLAIMING ======Originally Posted by MOKAN
It's called 'herding the sheep'. H&M and similarly-marketed stores are merely corrals. It won't be long and H&M will fall out of fashion and the herd will be corraled somewhere else new and shiny.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peerage View Post
I'm far from snotty, and never spoke ill of Gap, mind you I have a pair of Gap jeans on right now loll. BTW H&M has been in America for about 12 years. You're the one who is CLAIMING ======Originally Posted by MOKAN

I thought your facesmackin' smiley was for GAP. Anyway, yeah, I meant what I originally said.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:51 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,531 times
Quote:
The funny thing is it's all stuff you can get at existing stores, from Target to Macy's, for the same prices. I guess that's why the trendyness and supposed 'wow' factor of the place is irritating. If Target had launched the H&M line in their stores here in the United States, or even at Macy's, I highly doubt it would be as trendy, even being the very same thing.
Sure, you could get the same "stuff", like jeans/t-shirts/polos, but you cannot necessarily find the same style, colors, fit, variety as H&M. For example, for me its easier to find slimmer fit-stuff in H&M than in Target or Macys. And even if i could scour Macy's and Target, i could find it all under one roof at H&M.

H&M as a whole is a fashion forward-looking store, and caters to people who want the latest fashion trend.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Sure, you could get the same "stuff", like jeans/t-shirts/polos, but you cannot necessarily find the same style, colors, fit, variety as H&M. For example, for me its easier to find slimmer fit-stuff in H&M than in Target or Macys. And even if i could scour Macy's and Target, i could find it all under one roof at H&M.

H&M as a whole is a fashion forward-looking store, and caters to people who want the latest fashion trend.
I totally agree.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:36 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times
Quote:
Yeah, I guess you're right. I don't remember those Apple commericals, but I think I get what you're talking about. People are still like that today in regard to Apple VS PC - they think they're special for being different and using Apple.

1984 Apple's Macintosh Commercial - YouTube

Old 08-19-2012, 02:59 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Smile Lolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Thanks. Must be the sloppy ponybun.

BigD, Funny post of the day award, lol re: texting teens and messy ponybuns.
The threads where are vehemently defending it are too funny

You are a good observer. I avoid the malls like a plague bcs of all you mention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty