Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 02:24 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times

Advertisements

Ugh! don't even get me started on the "dishwater" thing! It seems like every woman who has very light brown to dark blond hair either goes totally blond, or they go darker.

There is definitely this bias out there against hair of that color, even worse than people claim the bias is against dark hair in favor of blond hair.

Look at the typical words used to describe that kind of hair:
--dishwater
--dirty-blond
--mousy
--ash

I think that color hair is so pretty! It catches the light in all different ways, and it usually has all kinds of subtle colors mixed in. But nearly every woman with that color hair changes it! If that were my natural color, I would play it up and love it! Yes, I still think it's sad when those women feel they have to go lighter or darker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Careful when you make that judgement. You'd be right most of the time, but even dark skinned people can have naturally blond hair.

I already addressed that issue. If it's natural, then I believe it's beautiful. When people go fake, then that's where I think it's sad, and sometimes tacky when it's obvious.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:02 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post

Apart from the very few b*tchy blond women that other posters have described here, I don't believe that any blondes, as least since the dissolution fo the Third Reich, think that they are "superior" because they are blond. I really think it's a projection from non-blondes who just can't embrace their naturally beautiful dark hair. they might meet a stuck up woman who happens to be blond, and instead of just deciding she's stuck up because she's a narcissist or spoiled, they decide she's stuck up because of her hair color. Judge people based on the content of their character and not the color of their hair.
Haven't read the whole thread. I'd be suprised that grown ups think others who are blonde and fair think they're superior. As a child though there certainly was a feeling of blonde being more beautiful or better.

As a very dark brunette (up to recently almost black) I've never wanted to be blonde. And it's almost amusing how many blondes (real or not) ask if this is my natural colour (it is) and the sigh & advise how lucky I am.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:17 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
I think this thread reflects a few different things. There is an antiquated societal notion that blonde hair and blue eyes are the most beautiful physical attributes that a woman can possess. And the add to that way of thinking, many people (although not nearly as much as there used to be) continue to praise those attributes above all other hair/eye (and to a degree skin) color combinations. Further, some of the people who posess these attributes themselves believe the praise and it manifests itself in less than pleasant manner to those who do not possess them.

Also, a few people have posted in this thread about their less than kind experiences with some blondes so I won't add my own (although I definitely do have a few).

Old 08-15-2012, 03:28 PM

Agree with all of this.
Just keep in mind that if a blonde has been a b*tch to you, blame it on b*tchiness, and not on her hair color.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:09 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Agree with all of this.
Just keep in mind that if a blonde has been a b*tch to you, blame it on b*tchiness, and not on her hair color.
Well if the individual thinks that they are "better" than others solely because they are blonde then their attitude can be blamed on their "blondeness". And those with that type of attitude have a deeply engrained sense of entitlement and they come undone when someone who does not possess their physical attributes gets something/someone that they want. I have seen it and experienced it numerous times. It is very ugly to watch.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:23 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Public forum, so I am not really invested in whether or not you take offense to my comments.
If I were to insult a group of people based on their skin, hair or eye color it would be innapropriate and biased. All blondes are not ignorant or bitchy. It is a blanket thought and it is offensive And I will let others know when they are being offensive Such is my right on a public forum

Old 08-15-2012, 06:24 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Well if the individual thinks that they are "better" than others solely because they are blonde then their attitude can be blamed on their "blondeness". And those with that type of attitude have a deeply engrained sense of entitlement and they come undone when someone who does not possess their physical attributes gets something/someone that they want. I have seen it and experienced it numerous times. It is very ugly to watch.
Oh please. And HOW many of these rude miscreants are natural blondes. This thread is offensive

Old 08-15-2012, 06:34 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I don't believe this. I'm quoting you. I'm not sitting here watching this thread bake. But (deeply engrained) "entitlement" is the word. In the predominately white public HS near my house and my Catholic HS, who had the most "entitlement" issues? The blondes. Who were the better students? The brunettes. (I'd like to add there were MANY attractive brunettes at both schools). Stereotyping occurs because enough people make the same observation.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 08-15-2012 at 06:59 PM..

Old 08-15-2012, 06:35 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliz View Post
If I were to insult a group of people based on their skin, hair or eye color it would be innapropriate and biased. All blondes are not ignorant or bitchy. It is a blanket thought and it is offensive And I will let others know when they are being offensive Such is my right on a public forum
Ok, you can take your hand off your hip now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty