Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 06:25 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,404,358 times

Advertisements

As an Asian woman, I've had a few relatives told me that I'm "too skinny" and that "no body would want me". I don't care because I don't want them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 09:13 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,812,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
I'm Black American and naturally a size 2. I however notice that people tend to laud thin Asian and White women, but seem to take offense when Black women are thin as well. It's almost like, they expect every black woman to have thick thighs, a big behind and huge breasts. I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this general attitude towards Black women? Why is it that thin black women are shunned, while thin Asian and White women are viewed as prizes?

Hey God,

Are you there ...its me (Nyanna)

Old 08-30-2012, 02:19 AM

6 posts, read 8,700 times
Default To be yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRice View Post
As an Asian woman, I've had a few relatives told me that I'm "too skinny" and that "no body would want me". I don't care because I don't want them.
Wow, totally agree with you. To be yourself, if you feel good, it is okay.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:27 AM

6 posts, read 8,700 times
Thumbs up you will be welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
I'm Black American and naturally a size 2. I however notice that people tend to laud thin Asian and White women, but seem to take offense when Black women are thin as well. It's almost like, they expect every black woman to have thick thighs, a big behind and huge breasts. I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this general attitude towards Black women? Why is it that thin black women are shunned, while thin Asian and White women are viewed as prizes?
I am a asian, I am thin as well. I have a 3-month baby, she is "strong"(I do not want to use "fat"), some give me a weird look for such thin lady can have a cute girl. To your topic, I can really understand you, but I really appreciate the black women who are slim and lean. Please no worry, to be yourself, you will be welcome.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:03 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,687,701 times
I am black, have been thin/fit my entire life, and have never had any of the problems discussed in this thread. I believe this is a roll call thread, with contrived problems to give people an excuse to post. NO ONE has eve been offended because I am black and fit. What utter nonsense.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:55 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,124,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I am black, have been thin/fit my entire life, and have never had any of the problems discussed in this thread. I believe this is a roll call thread, with contrived problems to give people an excuse to post. NO ONE has eve been offended because I am black and fit. What utter nonsense.
you don't represent all black women though

Old 08-30-2012, 07:18 AM

840 posts, read 1,149,273 times
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone criticizing Halle Berry for being too thin. Have you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRice View Post
People always need something to whine about. Really people need to take a good look at themselves and work themselves first before turning around and criticizing other people.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:48 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,414,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
I am an AA woman as well and I have noticed this, but only among other African Americans...men in particular...

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:53 AM

701 posts, read 1,564,983 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
you don't represent all black women though
Exactly. We're talking about our individual experiences. Some Black women have never been looked down upon for being thin, and some have. Those who have are in this thread talking about their experiences. I don't see how this constitutes as being "utter nonsense".

Old 08-30-2012, 12:09 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,285,583 times
Quote:

I don't think offended was the best word to use.

I made the transition from fat to fit. I had many (female) relatives tell me that I was "too skinny" and I should "stop losing weight, I was thin enough"; "where did my hips go?" "why don't you eat black people food?" etc. etc.

I also have never had a negative comment made by any male regarding my weightloss, but I am not "skinny". I do believe that it happens to skinny women all the time, though. "She needs a sandwich". "You need to eat". "She has no a**".

I have heard strangers on the street treated this way, so I don't know how someone can say this is nonsense, even if it doesn't pertain to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty