Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 03:55 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times

Advertisements

No more horizontal stripes!

I wore plus sizes till about 5 years ago so I have lived on both sides of the fence. Plus size clothes are just awful. It's much better on the other side of the aisle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 04:11 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
I'm a fashion major who want's to specialize in plus size (which is average in the real world) wear and I would like some input from different women in the country. As a plus size person...what articles of clothing do have a hard time finding that look good on you?

Nice tank tops that don't bring attention to your arms. Pants that don't accentuate the "extra" stomach?

What?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
First of all, hooray for you! I used to be a 22/24, and now wear a 14... and finding nice, cute, flattering plus-size clothing is a real chore! Most plus-size ladies don't necessarily want to HIDE their "flaws," but also prefer not to showcase them. Basically, we want clothing that flatters and flaunts the good stuff, without being a shapeless bag. Here's what I always had/have problems with:

- Tops & dresses that fit large boobies! Even with my weight loss, that's still a major problem, especially with dresses. And on that subject, try to make straps that accommodate thicker bra straps... spaghetti-straps (and low backs) are tough for the curvy ladies, generally speaking.

- Appropriately lengthed skirts and dresses... seems all plus-size dresses go to the floor, or they're way too short. A nice length for most of us is "tea," either right above or below the knee. Oh, and A-line is usually a good shape for those with curves.

- Good office basics, like classic suits, white blouses, little black dresses, etc. I can find funky/trendy stuff, casual, or super "stuffy," but rarely anything in-between... you know, the kind of stuff you'd wear to work, and then to dinner afterwards?

- Formal dresses that don't make us look 60... no offense to those who are 60, but I'm only 31 (this week), and don't need to age myself! We have enough of the "mother-of-the-bride" look, and the pageant queen, so how about some young & trendy formal wear?

Example....
"Old lady / Mother-of-bride"
http://www.amerimark.com/images/5/565/full/56596.jpg (broken link)

More what a 31 year-old (many of us, at least) wants to wear...
http://www.igigi.com/shop/images/product/38725RSNM.jpg (broken link)
http://www.igigi.com/shop/images/product/38795REDM.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-17-2007, 04:23 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldpolkadots View Post
I wasn't able to buy jeans from Lane Bryant until they started making a new style called, "Right Fit" Jeans. There are three types, that seem to fit most/all body types. "curvy Blue will have more room in the hips, a straighter Yellow will have more room in the tummy, and a proportionate Red girl will have the right shape through the waist and hips" I have a bigger stomach, and curvy hips/butt/thigh and I could not believe that the straight fit actually fit sooo well! They are the most comfortable jeans I have ever bought! BUT MAKE SURE that you get help from the people that work at Lane Bryant to make sure that your shape/size is the right fit.
Lane Bryant is the ONLY place where I buy jeans, because of their choices in fit - and cute styles/colors. My favorite pair is the relaxed fit, straight leg, in a grayish wash... love 'em!! I'm fairly long-legged and not short (5'6"), so my main issue is with fitting the belly & hips. I also have a rather small waist, and apparently I'm "short-crotched" if there is a such a thing, since other brands always hang (while being too short in the leg) or gap. Guess there's no way to please us all!

Old 10-17-2007, 05:11 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Oh, here is another complaint of mine--I hate blue/grey/all black clothes.
I love COLOR. I don't care if I am 'bigger' I want yellows, lime greens, pinks. I love pretty, bright colors.
When I lost a little weight I was able to get a rainbow of colors. I gained a little again and it's back to 'cranberry,' and 'brown' and 'hide it all black..'

Old 10-17-2007, 07:38 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,023,887 times
TOUCHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess being plus sized means we are supposed to look like we're going through a depression.

I absolutely love colorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr especially redsssssssssssss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Oh, here is another complaint of mine--I hate blue/grey/all black clothes.
I love COLOR. I don't care if I am 'bigger' I want yellows, lime greens, pinks. I love pretty, bright colors.
When I lost a little weight I was able to get a rainbow of colors. I gained a little again and it's back to 'cranberry,' and 'brown' and 'hide it all black..'

Old 10-17-2007, 07:42 AM

Post a link........pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessofRandomThoughts View Post
Ladies we may need to start our own club!!
Come over to CD Village(other topics) one day. We'll talk.
http://cdnll.users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/users_106/533342/anm1b778810a4a3f842.gif (broken link)

Last edited by Bjones1976; 10-17-2007 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: adding

Old 10-17-2007, 07:46 AM

Thanks for responding..........these are some good ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
First of all, hooray for you! I used to be a 22/24, and now wear a 14... and finding nice, cute, flattering plus-size clothing is a real chore! Most plus-size ladies don't necessarily want to HIDE their "flaws," but also prefer not to showcase them. Basically, we want clothing that flatters and flaunts the good stuff, without being a shapeless bag. Here's what I always had/have problems with:

- Tops & dresses that fit large boobies! Even with my weight loss, that's still a major problem, especially with dresses. And on that subject, try to make straps that accommodate thicker bra straps... spaghetti-straps (and low backs) are tough for the curvy ladies, generally speaking.

- Appropriately lengthed skirts and dresses... seems all plus-size dresses go to the floor, or they're way too short. A nice length for most of us is "tea," either right above or below the knee. Oh, and A-line is usually a good shape for those with curves.

- Good office basics, like classic suits, white blouses, little black dresses, etc. I can find funky/trendy stuff, casual, or super "stuffy," but rarely anything in-between... you know, the kind of stuff you'd wear to work, and then to dinner afterwards?

- Formal dresses that don't make us look 60... no offense to those who are 60, but I'm only 31 (this week), and don't need to age myself! We have enough of the "mother-of-the-bride" look, and the pageant queen, so how about some young & trendy formal wear?

Example....
"Old lady / Mother-of-bride"
http://www.amerimark.com/images/5/565/full/56596.jpg (broken link)

More what a 31 year-old (many of us, at least) wants to wear...
http://www.igigi.com/shop/images/product/38725RSNM.jpg (broken link)
http://www.igigi.com/shop/images/product/38795REDM.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-17-2007, 07:49 AM

Have any of you ever shopped at Lerners (Wisconsin) ?
I think it New York and Company in some states. They have a good selection jeanwise as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Lane Bryant is the ONLY place where I buy jeans, because of their choices in fit - and cute styles/colors. My favorite pair is the relaxed fit, straight leg, in a grayish wash... love 'em!! I'm fairly long-legged and not short (5'6"), so my main issue is with fitting the belly & hips. I also have a rather small waist, and apparently I'm "short-crotched" if there is a such a thing, since other brands always hang (while being too short in the leg) or gap. Guess there's no way to please us all!

Old 10-17-2007, 08:00 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Am I the only one here with a (relatively) flat chest and a big butt?? I'm a misses 16 on top, and a women's 24 on bottom. Padded bras are my friend, because I have to buy a blouse that's 3 sizes larger than I need just to pull it around my hips.

I've always loved short blazers for that reason. Wearing a thigh-length blazer or sweater only calls attention to the big butt.

Ditto on the pockets, in all sizes. Why do designers think that women don't need pockets?? Argh.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:34 AM

160 posts, read 775,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldpolkadots View Post
I wasn't able to buy jeans from Lane Bryant until they started making a new style called, "Right Fit" Jeans. There are three types, that seem to fit most/all body types. "curvy Blue will have more room in the hips, a straighter Yellow will have more room in the tummy, and a proportionate Red girl will have the right shape through the waist and hips" I have a bigger stomach, and curvy hips/butt/thigh and I could not believe that the straight fit actually fit sooo well! They are the most comfortable jeans I have ever bought! BUT MAKE SURE that you get help from the people that work at Lane Bryant to make sure that your shape/size is the right fit.
Wow, thanks for letting me know. I dont even bother looking there because I have always had that problem. I'll have to check it out. It would be nice if they made those in dress pants too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty