Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 09:35 PM

78 posts, read 229,760 times

Advertisements

There's lots of ways-- Just about any where you come into contact with people will tell you. Are cashiers (extra) nice to you? Do women hit on you or dote on you? Do women make comments? do they act different around you? If they really like you and you are still clueless-- they'll even try to make it obvious for you sometimes so there isn't any confusion.

To the guy who said that even good looking guys get rejected by tons of girls, they'll still find some women or situations where they'll do fine-- as long as they have a decent personality and aren't homeless, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 06:27 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,351,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestGuy1 View Post
How does a man know he is good looking?

Women, I'm assuming for the most part "know," being hit on a lot, flirted with a lot, looked at a lot etc.

But for a guy (me) how do I know? I never really could talk to girls past friendzoning myself until I was about 21 (Im 24 now).

I've seen a few women, and they've all directly told me I am "hot" "cute" "handsome" or a combination of.

Further, the last woman I hooked up with, and the woman who is currently interested in me, are both what I would consider way out of my league.

A few times a week, I have a random woman smile or say hello to me out and about.

On the other hand, some girls pay me no mind. Usually "girly girls" are the ones who pass me by, or go for the guys w bigger muscles or athletes (nothing wrong with their preference, just saying).

So, how do I know?
You would know if youre strikingly good looking. You would have been told time and time again throughout your life. I'd guess you're average or just above and you strike some women as more attractive than you do others. This is pretty normal for a decent looking guy.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:50 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:

Women, I'm assuming for the most part "know," being hit on a lot, flirted with a lot, looked at a lot etc.

But for a guy (me) how do I know? I never really could talk to girls past friendzoning myself until I was about 21 (Im 24 now).

I've seen a few women, and they've all directly told me I am "hot" "cute" "handsome" or a combination of.

Further, the last woman I hooked up with, and the woman who is currently interested in me, are both what I would consider way out of my league.

A few times a week, I have a random woman smile or say hello to me out and about.

On the other hand, some girls pay me no mind. Usually "girly girls" are the ones who pass me by, or go for the guys w bigger muscles or athletes (nothing wrong with their preference, just saying).

So, how do I know?
...when he stops using the terms "friendzone" and "out of my league".

Old 09-11-2013, 06:50 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,804,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I usually either worked with them or met them in church or at a volunteer gig or even a party. Places where we had to engage in conversation, regardless of how each other looked. And sometimes it was just watching how a man interacted with other people at these places/events.

Look, guys, I know how a woman looks is important to a man -- and scientists say there are good biological reasons for that -- but, with women, once we've grown up a bit -- looks aren't all that important. If a man has all -- or most -- of the qualities I stated before, I wouldn't care if he was physically disfigured. Oh, I forgot to add -- decent job and decent income. Doesn't have to be rich. Just have a middle-class income -- enough to raise a couple of children on. I certainly don't mind working all my life (and I did) -- I just don't want to HAVE to work all my life, in case something should come up with the kids and require a stay-at-home mom (for a while or forever). With my first husband, I was able to stay home until the last kid started school. That was important to me. After that -- I worked for a total of 40 years, before kids and after the last one went off to school. We weren't rich by any means -- but the only reason I left was because we were never really compatible and became less so as the years went by. (His idea of living, when he wasn't at work, was watching TV.) When the kids finally left home -- so did I.

gawd, the LAST thing that is important in a person is looks. If you guys just learned that early on, you'd have much better lives and marriages.
I couldn't agree more. I think when it comes to girls and young women (teenagers and early 20s) there is more emphasis on looks. But as women mature, for most women, looks become something that is low on the scale of importance. And even then, "good looks" ends up being something a man can control very easily (neatly groomed, takes care of hygiene, clean clothes, takes care of himself--doesn't need to be a Greek god, but is careful not to let his body go to pot, etc).

Old 09-11-2013, 10:36 AM

120 posts, read 193,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That (bolded) is how you know.
I don't agree.

First of all, women are very liberals with their use of the word "cute". I've heard them describe fat guys as cute. It can even be a derogatory term since it's the opposite of manly.

Whether "handsome" is a compliment or not depends on who it's said to. If a woman tells you that you're handsome, that doesn't necessarily mean she finds you sexually attractive. She probably just means that she thinks you'd be considered decent looking to most women. If she tells her girl friends that she thinks you're handsome, that means she does find you sexually attractive, however.

"Hot" inevitably means you're good looking. Women reserve this term for guys they're truly sexually attracted to.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:42 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:

So, how do I know?
I would say not to worry about that. It's just different for a man. While women do respond to looks, they don't place all that much emphasis on looks. There is a whole bunch of other things that they (subconsciously) respond to.

All you really have to do is to make sure that you keep clean and have an appealing personality. Finding a style that works for you is a plus as well.

I myself have had women tell me that I am good looking, and surprisingly handsome (no one ever said I was surprisingly handsome, but when I take my hat off, some of them actually faint )

I personally do not feel that I am anything special. Even if I am good looking, it's just not enough for a healthy relationship.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:47 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post

I personally do not feel that I am anything special. Even if I am good looking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
you know you're hot when cougars start hitting on you while you're in line at post office or grocery store check out
Well now I know...

Old 09-11-2013, 10:48 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowerOfThings View Post
I don't agree.

First of all, women are very liberals with their use of the word "cute". I've heard them describe fat guys as cute. It can even be a derogatory term since it's the opposite of manly.
When a woman says, "that guy over there is cute" it's not derogatory.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:03 AM

120 posts, read 193,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
When a woman says, "that guy over there is cute" it's not derogatory.
I said it can be. Short guys with decent looking faces are often described as cute, and not in a good way.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:19 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,160,243 times
I don't think many men realize that "looking good" is better than "good looking." The first concerns fashion, grooming, body language and the like. The latter is merely what your genes gave you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty