Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 03:42 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,334,315 times

Advertisements

Tim Gunn recommends that men buy white undershirts in the three-pack sold at Macy's, so I guess he doesn't see anything wrong with them as long as they aren't sticking out visibly from the over-shirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 03:44 PM

274 posts, read 705,724 times
Don't fight, timberline742 and jm31828. Here's a guy wearing the undershirt every day speaking.

One says it may add more heat, and the other says it adds perspiration so less heat, right?

It DOES keep the heat, even though that's a thin layer of fabric. That's kind of like pantyhose keeping some heat on the skin even though that's a thin fabric.

I know it right away and it feels chilly if I don't wear the undershirt. This is definitely true for room temperature and below (could be 70 to 80 degrees or so, depending on the humidity.) If it is above that temperature, the body sweats, whether there is another layer or not. And whenever the body sweats, it is best to have a fabric with direct contact with the skin to absorb the sweat. Body feels less heat as the sweat successfully evaporates into the air. Evaporation is the key here and the cotton is the best fabric for the sweat absorption and that facilitates evaporation.

(to be really precise, the body sweats even under the temperature above, but the effect is negligible...)

I guess I just pressed the rocket science button...?

Old 09-18-2013, 04:06 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,020,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
You are right, this is not rocket science. When you wear two layers instead of one you feel warmer, it is that simple! Sweat comes into the picture when getting too warm, something that may not happen if shedding the undershirt and wearing just one layer.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
You're just wrong. You clearly have no idea how feeling heat works.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:05 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,256,427 times
Smile Guess I've never noticed! but...

now that you have brought this up, I guess I thought it was a generational thing - my FIL and father did wear undershirts but my husband and some guys I know do not. I mean, I don't think I've really paid attention.

My husband does wear the dress pants and the long sleeved shirt and that style suits him but it is warm here - never asked actually. He looks fine but works in air conditioning most of the day!

Old 09-18-2013, 05:49 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,872,275 times
I think you are either a t shirt under a shirt kind of guy or you are not. I am not. I haven't worn a t shirt under a shirt ever in my life, it is just too hot IMO that way. As for getting more than one wearing out of a dress shirt without washing it...........ewwwww ! I can't imagine wearing anything but trousers twice without washing them. But that is just me.

Don

Old 09-18-2013, 05:58 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,226,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
How do tank-style undershirts prevent perspiration under the arm pits from getting on a shirt? Aren't the armpits uncovered in those?
Well, for some people like me, underarm sweat is not such a major issue (thanks Degree). It is usually a sweaty back that irritates me the most. In such cases, a tank undershirt would solve the purpose. I usually wear tank undershirts, not the T shirt type.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:22 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,454,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadGalBee View Post
Okay this is going to be the undershirt issue revisited. Do you realize how ridiculous you look with a t shirt sticking out of your polo collar, or the outline of a wifebeater under your dress shirt? There is no reason to worry about "too much chest hair" unless you have unbuttoned THE FIRST FOUR buttons. I realize many many people do this but I think it is a ridiculous look, and doesn't look very "proper."
I don't worry about too much chest hair -- I love my chest hair lol. I sweat a lot. I need an undershirt to soak it up. Gross as that is, it's the human body...

Old 09-18-2013, 07:58 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,379,312 times
Some have suggested these undershirts are a generational thing. I think it's more of a personal preference. My dad (born 1909) wore those sleeveless cotton undershirts. My brothers and I always wore T-shirts for undershirts. Even when I was still working and had to wear ties, I've never liked anything that fit tightly around my neck. I wear V-neck T-shirts under everything, even for sleeping.

Wife-beaters? What nutcase had the time to think this ridiculous stuff up? Of greater curiosity, why would they go to the trouble?

Old 09-18-2013, 09:17 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,803,946 times
I am currently an adult biological male and I almost never wear undershirts. As for my chest hair, I trim/shave (at least most) of it.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:50 PM

206 posts, read 255,314 times
Get back to me when you work outside for 8 hours a day at LESS than 20 F......sometimes -0+ F.

Also......CCW.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty