Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 08:26 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I'm gonna do what I feel like anyway, but I'm curious whether there's an "oh hell NO" sentiment against Women Of A Certain Age baring skin.

So the other day I was at a boutique looking at some charming and yummy boho-style dresses and tops that had just arrived for spring, but most of them were sleeveless. I commented to the store owner that I didn't know how good they would look on me, since I am 56 and am noticing little stuff like wrinkly elbows (you young 'uns, you'll get there! Well unless you are plump) and ever so slight crepey skin on my arms now. Although I am quite thin and actually in very good and muscular shape...but still, I don't want to dress too young or have people clutching their pearls and getting the vapors about my appearance.

The store owner told me I was being silly - and actually her clientele is mostly in my age range: middle aged women.

I don't really care about the opinion of 20-something guys who thinks that anyone over 30 should cover every bit of skin except their faces, but feel free to post if you have an opinion about that anyway!
LOL. No one is going to be "clutching their pearls" because you're wearing a sleeveless dress.

You're slim and in shape - show those arms, girl!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 08:27 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I have always said a person should wear what they want. Who makes the rules, anyway? I don't live by anyone's rules but my own. I am older than you, OP, I am 64 and I wear whatever I damn well please. Yes, my arms are getting that crepiness now despite working out, but I don't care; I live in Florida and I am wearing sleeveless - I even wear halters sometimes! We are our own worst critics.

Wear what you want, but OWN IT when you do!

Old 03-23-2014, 08:49 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Ok, I'll take you at your word on the gym work, and am granting you dispensation. Henceforth, you are authorized to go sleeveless at your discretion. Especially work the triceps. They are large muscles and when fully developed will take up a lot of excess skin. It doesn't take much tricep bulk to stretch the skin tighter.

Exercises for Tightening Underarm Skin | LIVESTRONG.COM
I do work my biceps a lot though. 4 sets of 18 bicep curls daily (2 sets with 35 lb on either arm and 2 sets with 45 lb on either arm), This is followed by vertical traction and lat pull downs for stronger shoulders.

Triceps need some work though, that's the only place where I have arm flab. Time to work on tricep curls.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:24 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
If it's hot I'm wearing as little as possible. I can't stand the heat. I go to the beach in a one piece with a pair of shorts on. I look around and there are younger women in way worse shape then I am in bikinis and older women in way better shape then I am. I guess no matter how you look at it you're some where in the middle any way. Why not be comfortable. Life is too short.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:36 AM

18 posts, read 29,404 times
Marc Paolella.
No I definitely don't think there should be more judgement in our society. It's excessive judgement that brought our society at this point.
While I agree there can be a positive example in working to make ourselves better, judgemental, means attributing low value to a person based on a flaw one have no direct control on, like flabby arms, which is of no help to people who receive it.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:43 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
When you have bingo wings or your arms look like Madonna's.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:04 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Exploding jigglies is the photonic equivalent of stinking. Arguably worse since range of view will usually exceed the range of stink in the realm of personal noxiousness. If we agree that we don't want to assault the olfactory sensibilities of our fellow Americans, why in God's name would we offer amnesty for those who embrace ophthalmic assault?

So...who am I dressing to please? You.....or me?

Old 03-23-2014, 01:10 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Paint that message onto your tank top and he will understand .

Old 03-23-2014, 01:32 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Both of us. Nobody is pleased by exploding jigglies.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:51 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,985 times
Well, I'd say this Woodrow lady on PBS news looks better than Mrs. Obama in sleeveless b/c Obama is too bearish to wear sleeveless while Woodrow has a well-balances body. And she is probably in her 70-s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty