Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 06:06 PM

551 posts, read 1,591,192 times

Advertisements

Wear what pleases you. I'd love to wear sleeveless clothing but as I am sun sensitive my days are spent covered up and wearing sunscreen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 08:16 PM

541 posts, read 861,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I don't want to dress too young or have people clutching their pearls and getting the vapors about my appearance.
LOL @ clutching their pearls ("I am not a pearl clutcher" is my motto!).

If everything else looks right on you (hair, makeup, clothes fit well), don't worry about the arms. There are people out there who expose their butt cracks and muffin tops without a care and that is way worse than seeing a little wrinkle on the arms! You say you're in shape, so I bet the sleeveless tops would look nice on you.

Last edited by Tantamount; 03-23-2014 at 08:56 PM..

Old 03-23-2014, 08:55 PM

10 posts, read 10,286 times
I believe you should wear what makes YOU feel good no matter what you look like. Flabby arms? Polka arms? You're human! And if people can't stand to look, well that's their problem, not yours. Live YOUR life the way YOU want to. It's your opinion that matters by the end of the day anyway. Try not to lock yourself in to a self inflicted fortress because society tells you how you should live your life. Beauty is in all forms and as long as you feel beautiful, that's all that matters.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:46 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,830,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Everyone is judgmental, including you. Judgmental is good, not bad, and we need more of it, not less. Expression of a judgment should be supported with rational explanation. Then others may agree or disagree, providing their reasoning.

So, ignoring the ad hominem, you expressed a judgment on yourself, and supported it. You feel your arms are unusually thin and do not look good in a sleeveless format, and thus you have made the personal decision not to display what you feel is not one of your best assets. I like that reasoning. Others should emulate that. Including me. I have guinea tees that I have been able to wear in the past, and intend to wear again. But not as I am configured at this hour. More gym time will be required, and I will make sure that happens before my next red carpet.

For myself not wearing sleeveless is judging myself not others which is very different. I actually find this a flaw in myself and wish I had more self confidence. A lot of people with my body type even with thin limbs would wear items like this. I just don't feel comfortable.
There is a difference too in thinking to yourself that person would look better in another item of clothing and mean spirited comments like they must stink or are flabby.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:57 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,215,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Both of us. Nobody is pleased by exploding jigglies.
Thats it. I am going to proudly show you my unphotoshopped "exploding jigglies", LOL . Hope this burns your Eyes:

Spoiler

Disclaimer: This picture is not posted due to personal insecurities. I did so to stop him from talking smack about when people should and shouldn't go sleeveless. Ladies and Gentlemen, wear what suits you, and to hell with everything else.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:12 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
For myself not wearing sleeveless is judging myself not others which is very different. I actually find this a flaw in myself and wish I had more self confidence. A lot of people with my body type even with thin limbs would wear items like this. I just don't feel comfortable.
There is a difference too in thinking to yourself that person would look better in another item of clothing and mean spirited comments like they must stink or are flabby.
You have to be objective and critical to foster improvement. Flab and jigglies are words with a negative connotation. The thought of "flab" is disgusting to most people. The fear of having their body devolve to a flabby state keeps many people working out and eating responsibly. I think that is a tremendously good thing.

But yes, the core thinking is flab is bad. Is that mean? Not to me. It is reality. Most of us would never want to willingly let our bodies devolve to a flabby state. Billions and billions are spent, wisely and unwisely, on not allowing our bodies to become this way. To most, flab means gluttony and sloth, at least to some degree.

Most people react to this by taking action with diet and exercise. But some strike a militant pose and actually choose to amplify their faults through inappropriate clothing. Their attitude is something like this: "I am what I am, and if I choose to ignore it, too bad. My comfort is paramount. The rest of the world should just deal with it. In fact, not only am I flabby, but I am going to wear clothes designed for people without flab, thereby parading it and flaunting it. Proving that I really don't care what people think. Making me powerful and complete." Obviously a faulty thought process.

I think a more common attitude in wearing muscle clothes and skinny jeans when you are without muscles and have too much fat is that the offenders really do want to be in shape and look like the people who actually look good in these clothes. But perhaps don't really want to do the work, or haven't done the work but intend to in the future. This is a more innocent offense. And one that can be corrected with gym time and proper nutrition.

Finally are we shallow to emphasize looks? I don't think so. Taking pride in one's physical appearance is a positive thing and forces us to make more healthy choices overall.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:00 AM

3 posts, read 1,980 times
Default How old is too old to wear sleeveless dresses or tops?

Well, I agree with you. But I think there is nothing so creepy to wear a sleeveless dress in this age because it's all up to you if liked it then wear it without any hassle.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:05 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,486,115 times
Threads like this one have made more agoraphobics out of people than all the ads on TV put together.

Clothe yourself with kindness and always wear a smile. The world won't care what your body looks like if you're the nicest, kindest person they know.

Mahrie.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:40 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,324,343 times
I'm in my 40s but have quite big and not so muscular upper arms, still I don't wear sleeves when it's hot. It's just physically impossible for me to stand sleeves when it's hot. If people don't like what they see, it's their problem, not mine.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:43 AM

4 posts, read 3,728 times
There's no age limit on dressing tastefully according to your body and style personality.

There's nothing wrong with going sleeveless at any age. What MIGHT make it inappropriate is the environment (like professional business dress, as in many legal offices) or religious dress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty