Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 09:09 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times

Advertisements

Geographic area: I live in Southern California where standards for dress are pretty eclectic, loose, and permissive. That's in a general sense, of course.

Social class/specific job dress codes: Especially the job dress codes can vary a lot and can be strict or loose.

I am 70 and prefer to dress professionally (tie) when meeting the public in an official capacity; I am old-fashioned that way. However, if I am going to the supermarket or a (non-fancy) neighborhood restaurant, I may well wear tennis shoes (running shoes) and a baseball cap. Why not? It is common in Southern California.

When I go to a Los Angeles Master Chorale concert at Disney Hall in downtown Los Angeles I wear a coat and a tie, thus conforming to the dress of the majority. (No "gym shoes and baseball cap there!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 09:12 PM

17 posts, read 27,911 times

Old 03-25-2014, 09:19 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,441,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
It's always funny how everything goes back to dating and relationships. Do you get dressed everyday thinking about what random men who you've never met will think of you?
Go over to Relationships and you will see nothing but complaining.

And no, I don't think about random men, but if I dressed like a frumpy cow every day of my life and never did anything to look attractive to the opposite sex, do you think I would be in the right complaining that men never noticed me?

How a person dresses does send a message to people around them, even if that message is "I don't give a rat's a$$."

Old 03-25-2014, 09:23 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
How a person dresses does send a message to people around them, even if that message is "I don't give a rat's a$$."
Well then why dont we all just let people dress how they please and be content that theyre at least wearing clothes?

Old 03-25-2014, 09:37 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Go over to Relationships and you will see nothing but complaining.

And no, I don't think about random men, but if I dressed like a frumpy cow every day of my life and never did anything to look attractive to the opposite sex, do you think I would be in the right complaining that men never noticed me?

The relationships board is not the center of the universe and is at best to real world relationships what a cooking for dummies book is to a renowned gourmet chef in Italy.

The problem with this whole assumption is that every woman in the world is the same and places the exact same priority on fashion and clothing when they look for a man that you do. And nothing could be more wrong. Many times couples will look like inverse gender counter parts of each other.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
The relationships board is not the center of the universe and is at best to real world relationships what a cooking for dummies book is to a renowned gourmet chef in Italy.

The problem with this whole assumption is that every woman in the world is the same and places the exact same priority on fashion and clothing when they look for a man that you do. And nothing could be more wrong. Many times couples will look like inverse gender counter parts of each other.
I never assumed anything much less claimed it outright. I said generally women over a certain age - hardly speaking for every woman every where. Remember what they say about assumptions...

Old 03-25-2014, 09:48 PM

25 posts, read 54,708 times
Quote:

Opposites attract. Im 32, and if a woman doesn't want to talk to me because Im walking around wearing a T-shirt, Dickies shorts, and running shoes. Shes too shallow for me.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:52 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
if you dont want people to assume youre speaking for an entire gender then dont say "generally this or that gender"

Old 03-25-2014, 09:55 PM

"Everyone in the room is wearing a uniform." - Frank Zappa.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collins2209 View Post
Opposites attract. Im 32, and if a woman doesn't want to talk to me because Im walking around wearing a T-shirt, Dickies shorts, and running shoes. Shes too shallow for me.
And what does she have to look like for you to notice her?

It goes both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty