Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 03:33 AM

823 posts, read 1,126,538 times

Advertisements

I'm almost 55 and my normal, daily attire is shorts, a T-shirt and my Nikes. Sometimes I wear a ball cap too. I look at people who are not working, but are wearing dress slacks and a button up shirt as trying to be something they're probably not. I prefer to be comfortable, than to try and impress someone I don't really care about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 04:41 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,990,032 times
I think it's appropriate to remember the OP specified "BRIGHT WHITES", as in pretty much just out of the box, not beat-up or scuffed due to, you know, actual wearing in an athletic pursuit. He's not talking about what most of us call "sneakers" for kicking around everyday wear.

Pretty much the only folks I see who wear bright whites out are kids who are actual athletes and geriatrics. But on the odd occasion I do see someone 35-60 wearing them, yeah, I look and wonder, "What's going on in that guy's head?"

Old 03-24-2014, 05:42 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times
Or we can follow this guys fashion choice:

Old 03-24-2014, 05:58 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
My buddy and I were discussing this last week. We're both 40y/o.

We both commented on how a lot of men out of our generation still dress like little kids.

BRIGHT WHITE "gym" shoes, ball caps(worn backwards), shirts with silly writing on the front,etc....

The only time I wear "gym" shoes, is when I work out. They are not apart of my daily attire.

What are you thoughts?

Men can still dress nice and casual while being classy and relaxed.

Casual is cool.

Grab a pair of Sperry Topsiders.....and can the gym shoes.
"Gym shoes"???

People wear ATHLETIC WEAR shoes for the comfort, stability and support and because some of them actually WALK around during the day. They've been around since the 1800's long before there were "gyms".

Sperry Top Siders are nautical wear. Invented circa 1935.

Why are you wearing BOAT SHOES on cement?

Just because you're posing as a boat owner doesn't mean I think you own a boat.

See what I did there?

Old 03-24-2014, 06:26 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,851,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I think it's appropriate to remember the OP specified "BRIGHT WHITES", as in pretty much just out of the box, not beat-up or scuffed ...
Pretty much the only folks I see who wear bright whites out are kids who are actual athletes and geriatrics.
"Bright" could also mean they're new.

By the way, its funny you mentioned geriatrics. Its long been my observation that everyone in a nursing home wears New Balance sneakers/gym shoes/running shoes. Always white, and always New Balance.

At least that's how it is around here. Does New Balance have a special discount for the elderly?

Old 03-24-2014, 07:08 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,018,788 times
My "relaxed" attire is a pair of jeans and a t-shirt with, well, "athletic shoes" as the OP describes. It is my comfort wear of choice.

I have and wear plenty of nice button up shirts, shoes, slacks, etc, every day of the week for work (often with ties). On the weekends and in the evening when I am doing house work, running random errands, or kicking back with family or friends, I have no reason or need to "impress" anyone.

To each their own. That said, at 36, I see very few young adults who even wear the style of t-shirts, jeans, or sneakers that I do. I am sure my comfort wear wardrobe would be very "lame" around any high school or college campus these days.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:13 AM

692 posts, read 957,837 times
Quote:

We both commented on how a lot of men out of our generation still dress like little kids.

BRIGHT WHITE "gym" shoes, ball caps(worn backwards), shirts with silly writing on the front,etc....

The only time I wear "gym" shoes, is when I work out. They are not apart of my daily attire.

What are you thoughts?

Casual is cool.

Why are you and your friend paying so much attention to men?

Old 03-24-2014, 08:08 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,002 times
I never particularly cared for athletic shoes as daily wear. It has to be nice shoes or boots for me. When I see someone walking around in dirty ripped up sneakers I have to roll my eyes. But to each their own.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:10 AM

198 posts, read 274,013 times
Thumbs down Men's Dress

Quote:

What are you thoughts?

Casual is cool.

I'll agree with you on the t-shirts with silly sayings and the ball caps...at least men who wear them do not appeal to me...but I'm sure there are other females who have no problem with them.

As far as athletic shoes go, so they are not part of your daily attire? Who are you...some fashion designer from France? Those shoes are normal daily wear in this country not only for men, but also for women. I'll agree that there is a time and a place for everything, but if someone has to dress very casually for work, then that is appropriate footwear for that person. I'd rather see bright white shoes, than dirty scuffed up ones.

Also, many people over 40 have foot issues and comfort is the main factor in choosing shoes. Your time may be coming. Dress the way you want, and leave the rest of America alone. Your post comes off rather snobbish and immature...kind of metrosexual.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:17 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
I'm not a big fan of Sperry Topsiders...men wearing them to me come across as more overgrown fratty than if they were wearing athletic shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty