Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 08:26 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times

Advertisements

I think hats are very normal to wear, for all ages.

Other things, like the shoes you're talking about looks pretty bad in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 08:30 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,953,490 times
I wear hats to protect me from sunburn.

I don't wear t-shirts except to the gym or beach.

I wear shorts or jeans and sneakers, though my casual sneakers are different from what I wear to the gym.

I am 51.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:37 PM

3,735 posts, read 2,563,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post

What are you thoughts?
Rocco,
I think this is a good thread brother.. And I think ppl defending mature individuals they know, (who still rock sideways Yankee caps etc) are maybe missing your broader point (?).. which is the extended adolescence of many modern American men..(close ?)
Basically grown men acting and/or carrying themselves like kids. The outer wear is just a reflection of the inner landscape of some of these guys' minds.. I routinely encounter grown men talking about their new kicks & their Xboxes, while their baby mama is struggling to raise his under appreciated & cared for kids.

We understand, not every dude dressed stupid, is stupid.. but sometimes it's an exact accounting of how he's living..

Example, when u see the guys on Maury, their natural a$$ on national tv, to determine the serious dispute of paternity, and they're dressed in a Vick jersey.. at least put on a polo shirt playa'..

Old 03-23-2014, 08:44 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
There is nothing wrong with men of any age wearing athletic shoes unless they are attending a formal event or work in a formal office setting, IMO.

There is nothing wrong with being comfortable when you can.

I have had several foot surgeries and I wear athletic shoes 99.9% of the time because wearing any other type of shoe hurts.

If I have to attend a formal event, I bite the bullet and wear dress shoes......thankfully, most formal events involve more sitting than standing.

So.....maybe that guy is wearing athletic shoes for a good reason.....don't be so judgmental.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:44 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,017,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Rocco,
I think this is a good thread brother.. And I think ppl defending mature individuals they know, (who still rock sideways Yankee caps etc) are maybe missing your broader point (?).. which is the extended adolescence of many modern American men..(close ?)
Basically grown men acting and/or carrying themselves like kids. The outer wear is just a reflection of the inner landscape of some of these guys' minds.. I routinely encounter grown men talking about their new kicks & their Xboxes, while their baby mama is struggling to raise his under appreciated & cared for kids.

We understand, not every dude dressed stupid, is stupid.. but sometimes it's an exact accounting of how he's living..

Example, when u see the guys on Maury, their natural a$$ on national tv, to determine the serious dispute of paternity, and they're dressed in a Vick jersey.. at least put on a polo shirt playa'..

Old 03-23-2014, 09:51 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,994 times
I don't define myself or others by the way they dress. It is what is INSIDE that matters most.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:28 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,670,669 times
Quote:
My buddy and I were discussing this last week. We're both 40y/o.

We both commented on how a lot of men out of our generation still dress like little kids.

BRIGHT WHITE "gym" shoes, ball caps(worn backwards), shirts with silly writing on the front,etc....

The only time I wear "gym" shoes, is when I work out. They are not apart of my daily attire.

What are you thoughts?

Men can still dress nice and casual while being classy and relaxed.

Casual is cool.

Grab a pair of Sperry Topsiders.....and can the gym shoes.
I've never heard anyone refer to shoes as gym shoes. I have black high top basketball shoes that I only wear playing basketball. I have running shoes that I use for running and everything else. I'm slightly over 25; I'll be 59 in a few weeks.

I have about 200 t-shirts that I got at races. Most don't have any silly writing on the front but they have ads on the back.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:43 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,301,245 times
Quote:
sure he does.
I'm. Not. Joking.

Except of course he's got many more t shirts too. Like the Darth Vader one that says, "Come to the dark side. We have cookies."

And the Ralph Wiggum one in which he's putting on a full-body onesie upside down that says, "I dressed myself."

Old 03-24-2014, 12:05 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,722,344 times
I know of 1 of the smartest professors in the country. Over 70 & sweater over shirt, & below fairly light colored blue jeans. Likely a genius, was Harvard prof & MD. Bill Gates has been wearing suits lately, but used to wear sweaters & advised other employers that if they refuse to hire people who refuse to wear suits, they will be missing out on some excellent talent.

I must have good fashion, so I look excellent as a corpse in a coffin? Wish that was my only problem!

One of the weirdest dress codes I heard was BBC radio announcers must wear suits, they thought it made them more professional (wear this suit that nobody can see!)

Can't help but think some of the biggest crooks wore formal clothes, though some honest people also dress formally. Why should it matter?

Will admit I went to H.S. last year of dress code, so yes I'm still bitter they made us virtual military people in our looks. Best wishes, all!

Quote:
My buddy and I were discussing this last week. We're both 40y/o.

We both commented on how a lot of men out of our generation still dress like little kids.

BRIGHT WHITE "gym" shoes, ball caps(worn backwards), shirts with silly writing on the front,etc....

The only time I wear "gym" shoes, is when I work out. They are not apart of my daily attire.

What are you thoughts?

Men can still dress nice and casual while being classy and relaxed.

Casual is cool.

Grab a pair of Sperry Topsiders.....and can the gym shoes.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:17 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,687,436 times
ive got a pair of Florsheim's dress shoes and i can count on one hand how many times ive worn them. The rest of the time im in tennis shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty