Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 08:47 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 681,689 times

Advertisements

Beauty is a cruel mistress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 08:51 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,142,623 times
I do not wear sweats, flip flops, and baseball caps. The only exception is when I am going to an actual baseball game. I am a Phillies fan so I will wear a Phillies for that legitimate reason. Not for any style purpose. I also do not sit around the house in "jammies". Gosh, I hate that word. I shower immediately upon getting up whenever that may be.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:57 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
I'm 35 and when I go out and about to do errands I wear a t-shirt, jeans, nikes and a baseball hat. It's comfortable so I do it. Has absolutely nothing to do with fashion.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:09 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,235,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
My buddy and I were discussing this last week. We're both 40y/o.

We both commented on how a lot of men out of our generation still dress like little kids.

BRIGHT WHITE "gym" shoes, ball caps(worn backwards), shirts with silly writing on the front,etc....

The only time I wear "gym" shoes, is when I work out. They are not apart of my daily attire.

What are you thoughts?

Men can still dress nice and casual while being classy and relaxed.

Casual is cool.

Grab a pair of Sperry Topsiders.....and can the gym shoes.
Topsiders??? lol! Is it 1983 again

I'm in my 40s, and I wear gym shoes a lot. I wear jeans and t-shirts 90% of the time outside of work, and yes, ball caps on occassion. I'm not going to wear "dad jeans", a polo shirt tucked in with a belt and topsiders, which would make me look like a middle aged loser. I choose high-end, well made jeans (like Diesel, JBrand, higher end Levis), and dress for comfort. Plus I'm not fat, gray or bald and work out so I weigh what I should. I prefer not to dress like an old man

Old 03-24-2014, 09:16 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,235,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
sure he does.
Yes, there are plenty of work environments where people dress completely casual. I wear jeans to work every day, and make closer to 6 figures than not.

Maybe it's a regional thing. Out West people tend to be more casual, especially if you work in a creative industry. I don't know anyone who wears a suit or even a tie to work.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:57 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,650,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm not a big fan of Sperry Topsiders...men wearing them to me come across as more overgrown fratty than if they were wearing athletic shoes.
When I see some men in Sperry Topsiders, I think to myself, yeah like you really own a boat.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:23 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,965,555 times
Drive by a cemetery and ask yourself what is really important to worry about?

Old 03-24-2014, 11:47 AM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I wear hats to protect me from sunburn.
Thank you.. lol.. I started shaving my head in my 20s (I'm now 40) and it only takes once getting the top of your head sunburned.. I wear a hat 100% of the time now. The only thing worse than the top of your head being sunburned, I would assume, would be parts that nudists might get sunburned.

Add to that, the fact that I can get and have been sunburned on an overcast day.

I constantly wear tennis shoes. Just more comfortable.. I do wear black tennis shoes, however.. So, unless you're looking, probably wouldn't notice.

Work.. We're a casual environment.. But, I wear either jeans or khakis and a polo-type shirt.. If i'm not at work.. I always wear a t-shirt of some kind.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:59 AM

632 posts, read 933,178 times
IMO, ball caps, t-shirts and sneakers can be really stylish.

There was an article in the Harvard Business Review recently based on a study that showed that people tend to gravitate towards individuals who purposely dress out of place (i.e. wearing sweats to a high end store). It said people assume those individuals are confident and more likely to be truly wealthy, without a need to flaunt their status.

Anyway, I think people should dress however they feel most comfortable, regardless of age, as long as they're neat and tidy.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:18 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,547,343 times
My son is 26. According to his fiance, he is "hot". I think he's a very good looking kid too. He wears baseball hats all the time (brim to the front) and the only time he doesn't have sneakers on his feet is when he's working or attending a dress-up event.

So? are you going to say that my son isn't dressed properly in public? Sorry, but he looks great in my eyes. Now: If the crack of his arse was showing above sloppy pants with the hems dragging on the ground, then that's a different story lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty