Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 10:59 AM

675 posts, read 646,428 times

Advertisements

I default to a scowl as well, sometimes. Not sure really why. I guess it's just more comfortable. I will say, FWIW, I hate being nagged to smile for the camera. In such cases, I do, but it ends up being really forced. Natural is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 01:57 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,742,740 times
I watched the premiere of Penny Dreadful last night. Eva Green has a splendid RBF.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:56 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,328,800 times
I have BRF.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:35 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,696,795 times
I just look - evil. Could be quite accurate then.

You should see my passport photo. It actually gives people nightmares. Look like a serial killer.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:09 PM

4,216 posts, read 4,473,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_land View Post

ORIGINAL VIDEO - Bitchy Resting Face - YouTube

Anyone else suffer from this? I thought I was the only one until I read about others who spoke of similar experiences. The video sounds like a joke, but this is a true deformation (whatever the term may be). It actually took this video to explain to me why most people would say such mean things to me right away.

Just about anywhere I went when I was growing up, someone would comment on how I need to smile more or how I look like I can kill someone, and I haven't even said one word or I'm just minding my own business. NO joke. These days as an adult, I probably would kill them if I hear one more person say that to me again.

This happened more when I was younger (under 25), but I still have issues in the professional world due to my un-intentional mean looks. For example, when I was working at a retail store, minding my own business and having the happiest thoughts, a customer came up to me and said, "If you don't like your job, then find something else!" I had no idea where that came from. I even said hello to her beforehand. When I first met my husband, all his friends and family told him how unfriendly I looked and how could he stand being with someone that unfriendly? He wanted me to be outgoing and friendly like how when we were together.

I always feel like people seem to dislike/misjudge me right away too. And when I talk, even though I'm feeling/thinking something totally different (positive), people would get the wrong impression of me right away.

I hate it. It's funny, but I have also heard of those people who look super friendly and people approach them all the time. I am the opposite of that and sometimes wish that was me. My neutral face would either be sad or mad. I could smile, but I would always have to remind myself to put on a smile, and that is hard for me. It's like telling someone to pretend to cry with tears all the time.

Even worse is that this deformation is made fun of and is not taken seriously. If someone had a different deformation, it would be wrong to make fun of that person, but not bit*ching resting face. (Yes, I know you're probably laughing.)
ROFL.
The first brunette looks more like always serious I used to have a female co worker who could do this but it was obviously a scowl not regular 'resting face'. The regular resting face was what I would call nonplussed or expressionless.

The second brunette is slightly more BRF perception, but only because her fuller face help accentuate her BRF when she goes into scowl mode. Best mode for people with this *affliction* is to go for the solemn pensive look to take the 'B' edge off of it.

The blonde has it for sure, as it has something to do with combination of fascia muscles, and likely bite. If you've ever noticed, people with a natural under bite will generally seem to have a greater propensity for BRF. Simply hold up a mirror to your face and stick your lower mandible out, so you have an under bite and look at how it transforms your face just by the slight adjustment to fascia muscle.

I met this women last summer in a meeting who I see occasionally due to common events. I have to laugh cause this past week I saw her again and she has BRF x2 and a personality / demeanor to match. Every time I've seen her it looks like a combination of a look of contempt mixed with slight hint of she caught a whiff of something unpleasant to her nose (note she's not looking directly at me when I notice it, nor am I in close proximity! ). It definitely is her default 'facial look'.

Going back to the blond in the video. Expressive vertical delineation in forehead muscles accentuate this look. Variations of BRF occur most pronounced with those whose facial muscles seem to naturally pull in towards the center of their face like a cartoon caricature.

Now those refrigerator magnet manufacturers can add a new "mood" image of BRF!

Old 05-13-2014, 09:14 AM

757 posts, read 1,095,517 times
When I used to live in Southern California, there was definitely a trend to see BRF especially in wealthier areas. While some may have BRF by accident, others have it for a reason. It usually went hand and hand with a snotty voice and a sense of entitlement.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:44 AM

255 posts, read 407,729 times
A lot of people think I am depressed all the time when I am the opposite. Like at work, I'll be into my work and not even realize that my resting face looks depressed. I get told to smile all the time. If I tell them I am not upset or anything, they don't believe me.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:19 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,010,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley868 View Post
A lot of people think I am depressed all the time when I am the opposite. Like at work, I'll be into my work and not even realize that my resting face looks depressed. I get told to smile all the time. If I tell them I am not upset or anything, they don't believe me.

Put a smiley on your computer to remind you to smile more often. Or a little note that just says SMILE. It helps, no kidding.

An instant reward for smiling in general is that people are going to be much nicer to you.

I also have a smiley on my steering wheel in the car. I smile more often and people smile back. This morning I drove to work and a guy on the side of the street sent me a hand kiss. That was nice. No, he was not a drunk homeless dude.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:27 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,842,419 times
People are just ignorant aholes, and will always be, sorry to say. I worked with a girl who looked like she could've been the ultimate high school queen bee, attitude-face and all, but she was one of the nicest people I've ever met.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:32 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,010,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
People are just ignorant aholes, and will always be, sorry to say. I worked with a girl who looked like she could've been the ultimate high school queen bee, attitude-face and all, but she was one of the nicest people I've ever met.

,... and then there is the opposite ones .. who always smile like THE JOKER

http://www.likecool.com/The_Joker_Fi...ilm--Gear.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty