Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 09:52 AM

951 posts, read 1,141,440 times

Advertisements

ORIGINAL VIDEO - Bitchy Resting Face - YouTube

Anyone else suffer from this? I thought I was the only one until I read about others who spoke of similar experiences. The video sounds like a joke, but this is a true deformation (whatever the term may be). It actually took this video to explain to me why most people would say such mean things to me right away.

Just about anywhere I went when I was growing up, someone would comment on how I need to smile more or how I look like I can kill someone, and I haven't even said one word or I'm just minding my own business. NO joke. These days as an adult, I probably would kill them if I hear one more person say that to me again.

This happened more when I was younger (under 25), but I still have issues in the professional world due to my un-intentional mean looks. For example, when I was working at a retail store, minding my own business and having the happiest thoughts, a customer came up to me and said, "If you don't like your job, then find something else!" I had no idea where that came from. I even said hello to her beforehand. When I first met my husband, all his friends and family told him how unfriendly I looked and how could he stand being with someone that unfriendly? He wanted me to be outgoing and friendly like how when we were together.

I always feel like people seem to dislike/misjudge me right away too. And when I talk, even though I'm feeling/thinking something totally different (positive), people would get the wrong impression of me right away.

I hate it. It's funny, but I have also heard of those people who look super friendly and people approach them all the time. I am the opposite of that and sometimes wish that was me. My neutral face would either be sad or mad. I could smile, but I would always have to remind myself to put on a smile, and that is hard for me. It's like telling someone to pretend to cry with tears all the time.

Even worse is that this deformation is made fun of and is not taken seriously. If someone had a different deformation, it would be wrong to make fun of that person, but not bit*ching resting face. (Yes, I know you're probably laughing.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 10:22 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,688,917 times
Wouldnt this fair better in maybe the Psychology forum?

Old 05-06-2014, 10:55 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,264,355 times
Hahahahah, the Relationships forum, too..

Old 05-06-2014, 11:00 AM

951 posts, read 1,141,440 times
It has to do with looks, so I figured this would be appropriate.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:08 AM

2,349 posts, read 1,397,129 times
Would hate to play someone like you in poker!!

Old 05-06-2014, 11:17 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
I wouldn't say your face is deformed, that is a little harsh.

But I know what you are talking about. I've always had that problem. I remember being 5 and my dad would tell me to stop making dirty looks or he'd get mad thinking I was angry about whatever we were doing. I'd always be confused and tell him "I'm just sitting here, I'm not doing anything." My mom and sister seemed to get it and would also say something about how I was fine and not doing anything wrong.

I never really get the people who come up to complete strangers and tell them to smile. I feel like I would come off as a crazy person if I just went around everywhere with a big grin on my face. There is a girl I work with who seems to come up to me at least 3 times a day and ask what is wrong and "Why am I not happy today?" I always want to respond with "Because you keep asking me dumb questions." But I don't...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/livin...onic-bitchface

Old 05-06-2014, 11:30 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,807,558 times
Oh I know exactly what you're talking about! It's a genetic trait that has been handed down in our family and even has a name with us--they call it the "Fowler scowl." LOL. My uncle had it bad at 16 and I have a picture of him looking like a thug--didn't help that he had a unibrow besides. Fortunately I took after the other side of the family and it does seem to be dying out, though I'm sure it will show up again in another generation and everyone will be wondering where that came from. My sympathy is with you--my uncle is a rather pleasant man except when he's deep in thought.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:54 AM

484 posts, read 761,992 times

Old 05-06-2014, 12:38 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,383,085 times
I understand - I might have this condition... Also, the women in the video have my coloring/features - is this mainly a WASP problem? Either I am expressionless or I furrow my brow when I am deep in thought. My resting/walking face position is not all smiley (or frowny) - it is neutral. So I have been told I "should smile more" or sometimes that I am "really hard to read." Maybe I should pick up poker - never thought of that.

Sometimes when I want to appear pleasant I will think of a funny story so that maybe the corners of my mouth turn up more pleasantly - lol. Weirdly, strangers are always trying to talk to me in public - maybe they think I am all mad and they can help lift my spirits. I also have few face lines/wrinkles for my age, probably due to my lack of overly-animated expression. Always thought I would be a bad actress.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:32 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,847,734 times
Wow,this is so my problem too.

I do not know how to solve it.

Anyone try botox for the corners of their mouth?
i read it lifts the smile.

The same goes for the eyebrow lift.
I think that will help me out alot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty