Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 06:57 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,860,868 times

Advertisements

Way too much to wear at the same time. Screams "guido" to most of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 07:19 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,210,913 times
who cares? go against the grain. if you wanna stand out, do it. if people "accuse" you of being gay, just reply "your wife didn't think so."

to solve the "gay" problem, add some brass knuckles to you bling collection. they won't be questioning your sexuality anymore after spitting out a mouthful of teeth.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:56 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,866,832 times
Yeah, I think you have a little too much bling. As far as I am concerned, the earring used to be considered gay but not anymore. Other stuff, just a bit to over the top. I admire your taste in watches, I own a Tiffany Swiss watch which I enjoy wearing. I am not into rings as they bother me in my profession. Not really into bracelets but some guys can pull it off. As someone else said, if guys aren't hitting on you, then maybe you are alright. I would just tone it down some. JMHO. :-)

Old 04-17-2015, 02:53 PM

37,644 posts, read 46,052,689 times
Learn how to spell "jewelry". And I hope you don't pronounce it like you spell it!!

As far as YOUR jewelry, the chain is waaaay over the top. I think the rings are a bit much too. Look at what other professionsl wear and proceed accordingly.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:32 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,894,895 times
You should save the special stuff for special occasions. A watch, wedding ring, and cuff links are really enough for work. You might get by with a ring on the right hand too, on your ring finger, especially something like a class ring or a club ring. If you want to wear a chain, wear it under your shirt, not between the shirt and the tie.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:38 PM

20,770 posts, read 19,995,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treffer View Post
Hi

When I'm in formal clothing, I would traditionally wear:
- An earing on my left ear (simple stud/hoop);
- A gold gem-studded boutonniere (alternating with a pocket square or a beaded flag lapel pin depending on occasion);
- A neckchain either in Yellow Gold (with Blazer/Sports Coat) or Platinum (formal 2 piece suit) over my shirt ending under my tie;
- A wrist watch (I collect fine Swiss time pieces, Rolex/Cartier/Omega/JLC etc) on my left wrist;
- A yellow gold arm chain on my right wrist;
- Cufflinks (mainly gold gem-studded);
- Right hand: 2 tone White/Yellow Gold Thumb ring & Yellow Gold and Diamond Pinky Ring;
- Left hand: Yellow gold and diamond dress ring;
All the rings are in very masculine settings and many of the pieces are inherited items (so other men before me had no problem wearing them and I would rather wear them than leave them in a safe!)
Also although the list seems long its no Liberace look for sure!

Please share your thoughts:
Whooooooooooaaaaaaaaa ...OMG ...... way too much shyte on you, boy. I hope you are kidding?? You wearing all that stuff at the same time??

But you know it so either take 3/4 off or own it. If you own it, try to learn how to spell it correctly, too

Old 04-17-2015, 03:53 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,957,539 times
Too much. I wouldn't think you were gay because of jewelry (not that there's anything wrong with that). I would think you were "fashion-challenged", to put it nicely. If you're trying to project a professional image, a good watch, cuff links, wedding band and/or class ring are pretty much all you need. Wear your chain under your shirt if you must wear one.

You also might want to reconsider that signature scent thing. Nothing wrong with a little nice cologne or aftershave--but that comment makes me remember high school guys that slathered themselves in cologne--you smelled them before they arrived & after they left.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:24 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,576,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treffer View Post
I'd really like to know how jewellery took on this meaning and how others who like to spoil themselves this way react to the stigma. Please share your thoughts:
After reading all these posts, I decided to take another look at the list of stuff, thinking maybe I was a bit over the top on what I saw.

The answer was "Heck No. Opinion remains. Definitely abnormal in every way. Gay or mentally challenged. Sorry. At some point good fashion stops and you become a spectacle. That's where your at. Sorry...

Old 04-17-2015, 05:28 PM

22,613 posts, read 47,726,078 times
That list reads as overcompensation for shortcoming(s) in other area(s).

Old 04-18-2015, 12:04 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,444,469 times
For me, personally, a man who can confidently wear jewelry (and throw in a nice cologne) is hot, hot, hot. It might be my Italian heritage, but, dayum!

Anyway, I would drop the chain outside the shirt and the boutennire. Maybe a nice tie tack/tie pin instead if you want something to dress up that area?

Otherwise, wear your stuff with confidence. Explain the history of some of your pieces. Be bold and unafraid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty