Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 02:54 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had this argument with a woman with whom I was sorting donating clothing for a local church charity (soup kitchen, food pantry, gives away clothing, etc.) There was this pair of yellow sweatpants with what looked like car-grease stains on them and a hole in the knee. I said, "Throw that out" to the woman who was folding it. She said, "If people REALLY need something to wear, they'll wear them." We had MOUNTAINS of clothing in good condition free to whomever could use them.
That woman was not very bright. Of course, its possible she's one of those who thinks poor people should be forced to wear rags.

Clothing like that could be cut up and used for other purposes, if one is so inclined, but nobody has to wear it. Some charities and churches will even give away free clothing in decent condition, so there's no need to wear things with holes in them. This isn't the nineteenth century we're living in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 02:58 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
I was using a store credit card to buy clothes because I would get points every time I used it, and once I reached so many points, I would get store credit... to buy more clothes. I finally realized that it was just too much, so I stopped. I definitely don't need that much clothing. Once the credit is sitting there, you feel like you "have" to spend it. It just started feeling too gluttonous.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:13 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"Does someone actually buy all those clothes we donate?"
well, i do.
the Goodwill is in the same center as our grocery store.
belts, suspenders, winter coats, etc. and as the above
posters have noticed, it is usually nice merchandise.
Oh I have been a véry good customer in the past at thrift stores....nothing wrong with shopping there. Years ago I could buy retro 40s and 50s jackets for 50 cents.... loved the 40s looks. I still shop occasionally, mostly shop online due to convenience.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:38 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
The way to solve this problem is not at the thrift shop end, it's to stop buying so many new clothes. But I doubt that will happen.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:41 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I've always wondered about this, because sometimes we donate to shelters for battered women and other charity organizations. I've always just wondered if they are perhaps more desperate for things and will take anything they can get because of the dire situation they might be in. Or do these organizations shop from thrift stores to provide victims, etc., with clothing? After reading this thread, though, I assume there is plenty of better-quality clothing to go around.

On a side note, for those of you who have worked in thrift stores, I've always wondered what their policies are on cleanliness. What if the clothes are clean but have been sitting in the closet for a while? Are we expected to "freshen" them up before we donate? And what about smoking homes? I don't smoke, but I have a relative who does. I presume smoky clothing would automatically get tossed, even if clean? I've just always been curious.
I can't speak for every thrift store, but we partner with other organizations to provide clothing and furnishings for shelters. Their clients are not charged anything. Our worn, but clean, linens are sent to the Humane Society.

If clothes come in with strong odors, whether it be smoke or even perfume, it's either tossed or recycled depending on what caused the odor. But clothing might naturally pick up a scent from the household it came from, so it isn't always unsaleable.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
The way to solve this problem is not at the thrift shop end, it's to stop buying so many new clothes. But I doubt that will happen.
I recently bought quite a few pieces due to weight loss....otherwise I'm not into fashion, or having tons of clothing etc.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
A lot of people will scour thrift stores for vintage stuff, though. I have a friend who'd pay top dollar for real 70s clothing in good condition.

I recently donated a jacket that was in good condition other than a button had fallen off. I never got around to reattaching the button, so I safety-pinned it to the placket and put the jacket in the donation bag. In a perfect world, someone could have seen the jacket and thought, "score! Some dummy was too lazy to sew a button on!" (guilty as charged,) but I fear the whole thing was probably put in the dumpster.
We don't reject clothing simply based on age, we know there's a market for quality vintage things.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:47 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I've read that the clothes put in those bins you see in parking lots by various organizations just get shredded and recycled and used for fill in other products.
I'd like to know where to donate trashed clothes to be shredded for use as home insulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Our store provides clothing to low income family and the homeless, free of charge. Underwear in good condition is always appreciated, by them, and us. Bras, especially, are snapped up quickly.

You don't "sell" to a thrift store, you donate. I think you're confusing us with a consignment shop.

Yes, we still benefit, but not really enough to offset the labor involved in sifting through hundreds of bags each week. And the recycler will refuse entire loads if mildew or urine odors are detected, so it all has to be checked out. When donations have to be trashed, we pay, to the tune of 20 dumpster loads a week. I know people get upset when we turn away their donations, it happens several times a week (but not with clothing). The fact is, it's a large hit on the budget of non-profits to have to get rid of donated trash.
What type of store do you work at? I'd love to donate bras and even good underwear if someone could use it.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Goodwill actually throws out tons of clothing in their dumpsters. Many used clothing winds up in landfills. Even third world countries can now be picky about what kind of clothing they will accept. There is too much clothing in the world and it's being mass produced far too rapidly. I'm trying to avoid buying new clothing altogether and just continuing to wear what I have as long as I can. I don't want to support the fashion industry, either.
Not quite. Just like the thrift store I manage (local not a national chain), every attempt is made to keep clothing out of the landfill. Because of the sheer volume of donations they receive it may appear Goodwill throws tons of it out, but it's a small percentage overall.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/what-...b0071a6e092352

Old 03-04-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Not quite. Just like the thrift store I manage (local not a national chain), every attempt is made to keep clothing out of the landfill. Because of the sheer volume of donations they receive it may appear Goodwill throws tons of it out, but it's a small percentage overall.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/what-...b0071a6e092352

Good to know....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics