Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 05:15 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,117,488 times

Advertisements

i used to work at a Salvation Army and the clothes that are rejected (too dirty, torn etc) are bundled and sent out to be processed into cleaning rags or similar items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 09:30 AM

1,199 posts, read 725,761 times
Almost everything I've acquired after age 18 is from used sections or collected from large dumpsters.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:32 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
This week I've really cleaned out closets and drawers of clothing. Didn't realize how many old, out of date, worn, holey some of them were....the ones with holes etc. I just tossed but that leaves a lot of clothing to donate.
I read once that too many clothes end up at Goodwill, Salvation Army etc. and that they sometimes sell them in bulk to other countries to make into other products.
Anyone else heard that?
Yes. In fact, the donations have wrecked the clothing industry in some African countries.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:27 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,284,785 times
The donation boxes more and more look like trash dumps. Even if in decent shape, there's no way money can be made sorting them out. Not sure why they have proliferated so much. There's something else going on.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:41 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,411,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I donate only clothes in good usable condition--no stains, rips, mismatched socks or holey underwear. In my area, all of those worn-out cloth items can be put in a plastic bag, tied shut, and placed in the recycling bin, so that's what I do with them.
Thanks for the suggestion

I will check if our recycling takes such!

Old 06-09-2019, 02:49 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
The donation boxes more and more look like trash dumps. Even if in decent shape, there's no way money can be made sorting them out. Not sure why they have proliferated so much. There's something else going on.
I wash my donations first and fold them neatly, and I label them as washed.

I have read articles in the past that some charities in the U.S. sell the less salable or wearable clothes in huge lots to dealers. These are than shipped to Africa where they are purchased by local vendors who sell them in street markets. This supposedly accounts for the large number of shirts with recognizable U.S. logos, sports team monograms, etc. that you can see in photos and videos from Africa. And the original U.S. charity makes a small profit from the bulk sale.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:42 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,789,749 times
I do! I am an artist and all my clothing is covered in paint (or other detritus because I get very... creative... aka messy. Have you ever seen anyone use their armpit as a squeegee? Come on over.) If I bought all new clothing all the time, I'd live in a van down by the river!

Old 06-12-2019, 11:06 AM

24,476 posts, read 26,017,453 times
Sadly much of it is bailed up and shipped to India and other countries sold and what's left over is burned.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
My city has banned them from all locations.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I wash my donations first and fold them neatly, and I label them as washed.

I have read articles in the past that some charities in the U.S. sell the less salable or wearable clothes in huge lots to dealers. These are than shipped to Africa where they are purchased by local vendors who sell them in street markets. This supposedly accounts for the large number of shirts with recognizable U.S. logos, sports team monograms, etc. that you can see in photos and videos from Africa. And the original U.S. charity makes a small profit from the bulk sale.
Correct, there are even You Tube videos of them, some tp India and the sub continent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics