Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 05:47 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I've read that the clothes put in those bins you see in parking lots by various organizations just get shredded and recycled and used for fill in other products.
Better than doing to the dump in my opinion. I take everything to them clothes wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 06:14 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
But, it's wrong to assume the poor should be happy to get anything, no matter the condition. With all the donations available, no child should have to go to school in outdated worn out clothing. The idea behind charities providing clothing is so kids can go to school, and adults can go to work, or find a job. We provide a step up, not a slap down.
Condition is one thing and I agree that the poor shouldn't be expected to be happy with stained, worn-out clothing. But "outdated"? I have 20-year old T-shirts (I know because they have event dates on them) and a significant amount of dressier items that I bought when I lived in NJ- and that was 15 years ago. My two beautiful granddaughters wear things that my DIL buys at a second-hand place. The fetish for the latest and greatest in fashion is one of the reasons we're dealing with a surplus of clothing people don't want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
The average American family spends $1,700 a year on clothing.

https://financialbestlife.com/how-mu...d-on-clothing/
Interesting article. It also gives a benchmark of about 5% of a family's budget. I probably did spend that when I was working but now that I'm retired, I'm WAY below that. Last year it was less than 1% and half of that was a single pair of boots.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:31 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,034,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I once had a man proudly tell us he had several closets full of all clean clothes to bring it. He didn't lie, they were clean and right from the dry cleaner, bags and ticket still on them. The problem was that they were from 1976 according to the tags. They went right to the trailer that we load up and send off for pennies on the pound. People don't want to look like they buy old clothes so we only keep the most current things. We don't have the space to keep non current clothing even those in great condition.
There's *definitely* a market for clothes from decades past in most major cities, and most vintage resale shops will actually pay you for them. I hate the idea of perfectly good vintage clothing being dumped like that

Old 03-06-2019, 01:58 PM

1,347 posts, read 946,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
The one thing that galls me is here there are people that make a living selling on EBay the stuff they get for cheap at Goodwill. I’ve seen employees that set bins of good stuff aside so their “pickers†can have first dibs at it. I know for a fact that that is against Goodwill policy, yet it happens more than you think it does. Same for employees hiding things in the back and saving it for themselves. There are crooks and thieves in all places I guess.
As much as I disapprove of dishonesty, this is a practice that does not bother me in the least. If you (generic you, not you personally) place so little value on a piece of clothing or other item that you are willing to part with it for free, it shouldn't matter where it ends up, especially if it finds a second home with someone who can use it. I don't care if it ends up on the Goodwill rack or if some enterprising person who is willing to expend the time and effort re-selling on Ebay ultimately gets the profit.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:50 PM

14,318 posts, read 11,714,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
There's *definitely* a market for clothes from decades past in most major cities, and most vintage resale shops will actually pay you for them. I hate the idea of perfectly good vintage clothing being dumped like that
I agree. My 16-year-old daughter often says wistfully that she wishes I'd kept the clothes I had as a teen in the 1980s (which she sees in old photos of me), because she thinks they are "so cool." For her sake, I wish I had too. I do have a few T-shirts I saved from that era because they were from events that were special to me, and my daughter now wears them all the time. They are still in great condition; clothes were certainly made better then than they are now.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:44 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Condition is one thing and I agree that the poor shouldn't be expected to be happy with stained, worn-out clothing. But "outdated"? I have 20-year old T-shirts (I know because they have event dates on them) and a significant amount of dressier items that I bought when I lived in NJ- and that was 15 years ago. My two beautiful granddaughters wear things that my DIL buys at a second-hand place. The fetish for the latest and greatest in fashion is one of the reasons we're dealing with a surplus of clothing people don't want.
I'm not referring to t-shirts specifically, but if they are old, we don't want them, no matter what event they came from. If you donate dresses with massive shoulder pads, or leisure suits, they are not going to hit the sales racks. You would be amazed at how many items that look as though they would be at home in the closet of "Sister Brides" end up being dropped off. Those clothes may have niche buyers, but they won't help anybody interviewing for a job, or a kid avoid being teased at school. We know what sells, and we want those who come to us for free clothing to be able to look as nice as somebody who can pay $3.75 for shirt sold at retail last year.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:42 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
As much as I disapprove of dishonesty, this is a practice that does not bother me in the least. If you (generic you, not you personally) place so little value on a piece of clothing or other item that you are willing to part with it for free, it shouldn't matter where it ends up, especially if it finds a second home with someone who can use it. I don't care if it ends up on the Goodwill rack or if some enterprising person who is willing to expend the time and effort re-selling on Ebay ultimately gets the profit.
I think what Ron61 is referring to, are people who work at these places like Goodwill who hoard the "best stuff" for themselves, so that customers who come to these stores cannot score any nice items. As for people buying and re-selling things they obtained honestly, I have no problem with that at all. I would not shop at any second hand store that allowed employees to do these things.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:28 AM

384 posts, read 434,886 times
What is the big deal about employees buying items from goodwill?
I have received my receipt, will get a credit on my tax. It simply does not concern me.
If they are able to make a living and or enjoy my stuff, good for them.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:44 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limaman View Post
What is the big deal about employees buying items from goodwill?
The employees can buy items. What they can't do, per Goodwill policy, is reserve items for themselves so that customers can't ever have access to purchase them. This has been explained already.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:04 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I think what Ron61 is referring to, are people who work at these places like Goodwill who hoard the "best stuff" for themselves, so that customers who come to these stores cannot score any nice items. As for people buying and re-selling things they obtained honestly, I have no problem with that at all. I would not shop at any second hand store that allowed employees to do these things.
I don't doubt that employees pick thru the donations before they go out on the floor. I used to work at Caldor; on Saturday nights we set up the Sunday sale. We used to put stuff in the back room so that we could get the sale price the next day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I agree. My 16-year-old daughter often says wistfully that she wishes I'd kept the clothes I had as a teen in the 1980s (which she sees in old photos of me), because she thinks they are "so cool." For her sake, I wish I had too. I do have a few T-shirts I saved from that era because they were from events that were special to me, and my daughter now wears them all the time. They are still in great condition; clothes were certainly made better then than they are now.
I wish I had kept some of my old clothes. I had a hot pink leather bustier dress that I have no clue what happened to it. I normally don't get rid of my leather clothes. I still have my leather biker jacket that I bought when I was 15 and the leather pants I made plus multiple Harley logo bags I made to use when riding. They were just big enough to hold my wallet and a pack of cigarettes

I did save some T-shirts. I still have my Blondie concert shirt and a few others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics