Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 11:17 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times

Advertisements

Worldwide, there is no shortage of clothing, not even in third world countries.

Clothing is cheap and mass-produced these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 07:56 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Worldwide, there is no shortage of clothing, not even in third world countries.

Clothing is cheap and mass-produced these days.
There probably isn't any shortage now in most places..

But just as I see lower income people shopping in charity stores and buying used clothes because they are even cheaper - and often better quality - than cheap mass-produced clothes; I imagine these bought-by-the-bale clothes from the U.S. and sold in a street market are still cheaper than clothes made in Africa.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:38 AM

1,517 posts, read 991,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam
People don't want to look like they buy old clothes so we only keep the most current things. We don't have the space to keep non current clothing even those in great condition.
A lot of people will scour thrift stores for vintage stuff, though. I have a friend who'd pay top dollar for real 70s clothing in good condition.
Vintage clothing/costume stores in San Francisco would, too. That was a real opportunity lost.

Estate sale organizers keep the numbers of book, clothing, art, etc. dealers on speed dial for a reason.
That. My jaw nearly hit the floor when I saw nuts2uiam's statements. Stuff of that era was generally higher-quality than the throwaway Chinese crap of today anyways. Plus there are these things nowadays called "hipsters" that easily go for that stuff to remain in conformity with their bearded cell phone-packing, Papst-swilling peers, so you're throwing away BIG profit there. Huge mistake.

Oh well, it's just money.

Last edited by Ttark; 06-15-2019 at 11:59 AM..

Old 06-21-2019, 07:58 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,204,422 times
Oh yes for sure - the thrift stores by our house are always crowded and people buy just about everything used - especially on senior citizen discount days. You drive buy and sometimes they are waiting to get into the small parking lot.
Some people then try to resell items online to make a little money.
In fact - Good Will has its own auction site PLUS sells on Ebay too. I've bought quite a few media and books from various different Good Will stores around the Country on Ebay - now what they DO with the money they make from those sales - I'm not quite sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics