Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 08:28 AM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times

Advertisements

They only look good on very slim women. I just saw a mature woman yesterday, who had an otherwise thin body, but a pot belly hanging over low rise jeans. It wasn’t pretty.

I suspect they went out of favor because so few women can wear them successfully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2023, 08:39 AM

846 posts, read 681,244 times
I think it's because people have gotten fatter.

Also, I think mid-rise is best in general. High-rise forces you to wear it up high. Low-rise forces you to wear it low. Mid feels best to me.

Old 02-18-2023, 09:46 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,204,228 times
I hated low rise jeans always felt like my pants would fall off. And then your shirt is too short.

Old 02-18-2023, 09:57 AM

6,852 posts, read 4,850,706 times
Because fashion changes. Low rise were called hip huggers back in the late 60s or early 70s. I don't think the fashioned lasted very long and people were thinner then. It's not a flattering style even on most thin people. The last time the style came around it didn't last very long, either. I think it may come down to comfort as well.

Old 02-20-2023, 06:00 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Low-rise aren't out of style. Look at the Levi's website and other jeans' websites, and you'll see low-rise there. It depends on a woman's shape (what looks best on her and what fits best for movement and comfort), and the fit of the jeans (skinny, straight, bootcut, loose, etc.).

It could be your age, that you notice fewer low-rise jeans. Low-rise is most often worn by very young women. For obvious reasons, women move those jeans higher after they have children, because of the lower abdomen. But even when women don't have the abdomen to consider, it's just more comfortable to wear higher-rise jeans, and they slip down less. I'm in my 60s and wear mid-rise, so my navel and the curve of my waist shows, but they're not so low as to slip down. That's what's best for my figure. They're not that much higher than the hipsters I wore when I was very young.

Most of my tops cover the top of jeans, anyway, so you can't see the rise of them. But I've never had a man comment on the rise of my jeans. Still, all the various rises are still offered and worn.

Last edited by bpollen; 02-20-2023 at 06:18 AM..

Old 02-20-2023, 09:40 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,987,929 times
They're uncomfortable and weird. Even thin women get a skin "muffin top" trying to keep them on. I think we all just got sick of hiking them back up.

But beyond that, fashion simply changes all the time. It's creative.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:41 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,987,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Low-rise aren't out of style. Look at the Levi's website and other jeans' websites, and you'll see low-rise there. It depends on a woman's shape (what looks best on her and what fits best for movement and comfort), and the fit of the jeans (skinny, straight, bootcut, loose, etc.).

It could be your age, that you notice fewer low-rise jeans. Low-rise is most often worn by very young women. For obvious reasons, women move those jeans higher after they have children, because of the lower abdomen. But even when women don't have the abdomen to consider, it's just more comfortable to wear higher-rise jeans, and they slip down less. I'm in my 60s and wear mid-rise, so my navel and the curve of my waist shows, but they're not so low as to slip down. That's what's best for my figure. They're not that much higher than the hipsters I wore when I was very young.

Most of my tops cover the top of jeans, anyway, so you can't see the rise of them. But I've never had a man comment on the rise of my jeans. Still, all the various rises are still offered and worn.
TBH, I see young girls every day when I drop my son off at school and nobody seems to be wearing the low rise jeans anymore.

Old 02-22-2023, 11:54 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times
I remember in the early 2000s and Paris Hilton was wearing those ultra low rise jeans. It looks hot if you have a nice body. I love the style myself. Like somebody said, the high waisted jeans are perfect for people who wants to hide their bellies. People are just fatter nowadays. lol

Old 02-22-2023, 11:59 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Low rise with a slight flare were the best look ever. It has been for years near impossible to find jeans like that, my wife has of yet find and still wears her low rise jeans that are over 15 years old now due to lack of replacement available.
7 for all men kind have them.

https://7forallmankind.com/products/...tcut-in-spruce

They are not cheap. I buy them on ebay. New with tags for less than 3- bucks.

Old 02-23-2023, 07:35 AM

5,010 posts, read 590,697 times
My muffin top spills out over any waistband...*sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty