Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 06:47 PM

93 posts, read 110,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanii View Post
Did your liberal friends call you those names or were they talking about Trump's views?
Those names are used daily by liberals to describe Trump and his supporters, which I am, so I am included by inference.

Also, the names are pretty much "loaded" words that have been coined by liberal academics and intellectuals as attacks on people with conservative views. Seems like everyone on the left is following the tactics of that evil genius Saul Alinsky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 01:07 PM

36 posts, read 39,789 times
Oh, I could fill up a page of all the names called by conservatives against liberals, starting with "lib****s," so I don't know if either side wears a halo when it comes to political rancor.
And one conservative (losing) candidate in Virginia, Bob Marshall, called himself "Virginia's chief homophobe," so name-calling is not the real problem, is it?

But I wonder what stirred this up? You told us on Oct. 18, "I've lost most of my older liberal friends," so I hope (on Nov. 12) you aren't still being bothered by name-calling. If you are, you can extricate yourself from the situation.

Whoever Alinksy is, name calling is pretty much juvenile behavior, and since we choose our friends, what we read, and whom we listen to and exchange texts with, if we are subjected to name-calling, that's usually because we put ourselves into the situation.

From reading about NWA on this forum, I gather you are or could be friends with most people in the area and never have to be bothered by your older liberal ex-friends or any liberals at all.
Peace!
Citizens don't have to agree on much except, I truly hope, that we all care about our country and want the best for all our citizens, despite our differences. And maybe someday we will all agree that name-calling is not helping anything.

Last edited by Juanii; 11-12-2017 at 01:48 PM..

Old 12-07-2017, 09:32 PM

127 posts, read 134,696 times
I have to defend the OP, though I'm coming at it from the other end of the spectrum (on many issues). The political leanings of a city or region often reflect the kind of behaviors your children will be exposed to, and the attitudes of one's neighbors towards the same. It's not that such behaviors don't exist everywhere - they do, of course - but they are normalized and accepted in some places and not in others. "Medicinal" marijuana is good example of this. That kind of thing matters to parents.

In my case, I think conservatives are better off in blue cities in red states than they would be in red cities in blue states. Liberals tend to be more tolerant in such places. That makes Fayetteville attractive for everyone.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallombrosa View Post
I have to defend the OP, though I'm coming at it from the other end of the spectrum (on many issues). The political leanings of a city or region often reflect the kind of behaviors your children will be exposed to, and the attitudes of one's neighbors towards the same. It's not that such behaviors don't exist everywhere - they do, of course - but they are normalized and accepted in some places and not in others. "Medicinal" marijuana is good example of this. That kind of thing matters to parents.

In my case, I think conservatives are better off in blue cities in red states than they would be in red cities in blue states. Liberals tend to be more tolerant in such places. That makes Fayetteville attractive for everyone.
certainly agree, Fayetteville is attractive to both sides even though they lean left. What I would not agree with is: Liberals being more tolerant regardless of where you live. I will add one more thing, which is simply my opinion, I do not think kids should be affected by how they are taught or which side the city is leaning toward: good parental guidance and the freedom to talk politics as well as other subjects in the home will go a lot further than how the teachers teach. I saw this with my granddaughters while they were in college. PRior to college they attended public school in a relatively conservative district in Texas. One choose a very liberal university in Colo. She still graduated with her parents conservative views. The other went to U or A and is ultra conservative as is her husband, who is also a U of A grad.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:22 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
Fayetteville is liberal. Look at the link I posted. Fayetteville's politics are the opposite of Bentonville's. It isn't just because of the university, although that is the root of it. Every single ward voted HRC over DJT, in a city of 85,000. Also note the overwhelming support for medical marijuana, which the state as a whole passed, and will be available early 2018.

https://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/20...eral-election/
Fayetteville is a hell of a lot more liberal then the two college towns in Oklahoma where the two largest universities are located, Norman and Stillwater.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Fayetteville is a hell of a lot more liberal then the two college towns in Oklahoma where the two largest universities are located, Norman and Stillwater.
yep, that is true,but Fayetteville is stilll not nearly as liberal as many college towns.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:06 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Fayetteville never struck me as uber-liberal.
Liberals seem to be more vocal in general wherever you go, especially in college towns. It's just one reason why I avoid living in them.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:12 PM

573 posts, read 586,059 times
As a U of A student, I am prob in the heart of the most liberal part of Fayetteville, especially my sociology class, and I will admit even my liberal professor doesn't espouse her views as loudly as teachers I've had in the past. While the classes are definitely liberally slanted (all social sciences are), she doesn't spend too much time whining about it. This is my first semester there, but overall I haven't faced a ton of "radical" liberalization that plagues many campuses. I think if I wasn't at the business college it may be different, say at Fulbright, but pretty much people keep to themselves.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:39 PM

827 posts, read 660,338 times
It may be best to stay in California.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:59 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,991,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post
I love Northwest Arkansas. Have for years, we visited there last weekend and decided if we were able to move there Fayetteville would be the place. We have a pretty good spot here in Frisco, just missing mountains and clean air.

I have plenty of conservative friends but most are admittedly moderates. Will my son fair well in Fayetteville schools if he is interested in arts, soccer or band and not hunting or football? I grew up in East Texas and I don't want him to go to school in an exceedingly conservative environment like I did where everything revolved around football. We are spiritual but not traditionally Christian but I know there is a good sized Unitarian church and csl church in Fayetteville. We tried Benton county but that seemed more cookie cutter than Frisco outside of downtown and the crystal bridges area as well as seeming more conservative.

Fayetteville appears to be a great fit, is that just because of the university or is the town itself more left leaning? We do well in a rather conservative city already in Frisco. But this conservatism is more like libertarian conservatism in that tolerance for other cultures and lifestyles are relatively high for Texas.

I've been seeing post from mnita(I know you lived in DFW as well) for years, if she is indicative of the Northwest Arkansas spirit then we're good to go. If anyone has moved from DFW to northwest Arkansas with kids can enlighten me as well I would appreciate it.
My belief system is atypical. I've never had an issue here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers