Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 08:31 PM

36 posts, read 99,449 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that people are allowed to smoke inside bar and clubs? It might be because I didn't grow up around smoking or because California (where I'm from) has a no smoking law and that's what I'm used too, but I can't stand this about Florida!

Does anyone know if anyone has tried to rid this in Florida? I'm highly considering looking into passing a bill to rid smoking in establishments.

If you want to smoke, smoke outside. I really don't want to inhale your second hand smoke and the cancerous fumes that come with it...thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 10:31 PM

288 posts, read 734,085 times
I couldn't agree with you more!! Since it's so hard to find a Floridian who doesn't smoke but does like to drink, they had to find a way around that somehow. The law says that the revenue from food has to be greater than some percent of the total for smoking to be banned. So open a bar that doesn't serve much food (but some) and there's the way around it. There are even signs on the doors of these places that welcome smokers.

I like going out to watch the pay-per-view fights, so I'm glad that there are places like Wings, where we can go and enjoy the evening out without having to be covered up in smoke. Of course you still have to walk through the live ashtray to get in and out of the place but other than that…

Old 12-13-2010, 05:39 AM

13 posts, read 37,624 times
here's a thought. why don't you move back to CA, where they have laws you like, rather than trying to change FL to the way you want it.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:02 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,348,207 times
I thought the bars and clubs there were already non-smoking? Hell, even here in NC (tobacco country) they passed a law last year that only private clubs can be smoking now and they seem to be few and far between...

Old 12-13-2010, 09:22 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
There are select bars that allow smoking if less that 20% of their sales are food. I can't stand it either, but there are plenty bars that are non-smoking which I go to. You just have to know where to go. Restaurants do not allow it. I can't agree with you more.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerrabbit View Post
here's a thought. why don't you move back to CA, where they have laws you like, rather than trying to change FL to the way you want it.

LOL

I'm going to guess you're a smoker? Trust me, I would move back to Cali in a heart beat. It's at least not so backwards as it is here in Florida. But since that's not happening, I'd rather change this state to achieve more civilized standards and a ban on smoking will be one of them.

It's a disgusting habit. Just because you'd like to send yourself to an early grave, don't drag me down with you.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
There are select bars that allow smoking if less that 20% of their sales are food. I can't stand it either, but there are plenty bars that are non-smoking which I go to. You just have to know where to go. Restaurants do not allow it. I can't agree with you more.

I'm glad that at least I can enjoy restaurants here without being tortured. I guess when I go out to downtown Orlando, I will just have to do more research before heading out.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:50 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy08fox View Post
LOL

I'm going to guess you're a smoker? Trust me, I would move back to Cali in a heart beat. It's at least not so backwards as it is here in Florida. But since that's not happening, I'd rather change this state to achieve more civilized standards and a ban on smoking will be one of them.

It's a disgusting habit. Just because you'd like to send yourself to an early grave, don't drag me down with you.
Ditto!

Old 12-15-2010, 06:32 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Approximately one in four Americans smoke, so the fact that 75% are being forced to deal with an unpleasant/unhealthful habit of such a minority fails all reason. Florida is somewhat lacking in community involvement in comparison to other states, which is probably why grassroots effort to add laws in local municipalities hasn't happened yet. Not surprising given the overall lack of other quality of life components such as decent public transit.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:21 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I don't smoke and I abhor the habit. However, I am grateful we have laws here now about no smoking in public places and restaurants. I don't need to go to any bars.

Personally, I know very, very few people who do smoke. I think rural areas have more smokers.

ETA: I also hate it when people come here from another state and talk about how "backwards" Florida is compared to "back home". No, it is not. I would rather live here than in a nanny state like California with cities that ban McDonald Happy Meals and circumcision! I think it's OK for people to retain some freedoms, even ones I don't care for like smoking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida