Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 05:35 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,088,670 times

Advertisements

I know all about heat index and windchill, they make temperatures feel hotter or colder. I do not want it mostly hot and I do not want it mostly cold. Florida, Texas, Arizona=mostly hot. Minnesota, ND, MT=mostly cold. Tennessee, Arkansas, West Virginia, North Carolina=balance.

Let me break it down for you guys.

Florida summers: highs 90-97(heat index 100-110) lows 70-85(hot even at night)
Florida springs: highs 80-93, lows 55-75
Florida falls: similar to springs, a couple degrees warmer
Florida winters: highs 65-85, lows 45-68

This makes Florida too warm 10 months of the year and perfect the remaining 60 days(not all in a row either, can have a good week and the next week a hot week.)

Minnesota summers will be nice and pleasent with highs of 60-85 and lows a refreshing 40-55
Minnesota springs are cold but not brutal. Lows can be in the teens to 20s
Minnesota falls are a few degrees warmer than springs.
Minnesota winters are way too cold, highs can be below zero, lows can be -20 and windchills are brutal!

This makes Minnesota too cold about 8 months of the year.

West Virginia or South Ohio

The summers are still milder than Florida. Highs in the mid 80s, lows in the mid 60s(very refreshing, can sleep without sweating, in Florida sweat in your sleep)
Springs and falls are pleasent with highs in the 50s to low 70s and lows in the 40s to 50s, rarely freezing.
Winters are mild with highs in the 40s to low 50s and lows not much below freezing, rarely or never gets down to zero.

I will be too hot about 2 months of the year and too cold about 3 months of the year.

Florida=10 months too hot(only 2 months pleasent)
Minnesota=8 months too cold(4 pleasent months)
WV, OH=2 months hot, 3 months cold(7 pleasent months)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 06:44 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
NAH_You truely have hit the nail on the head. I don't understand why people can't understand, there are states that have a balance of weather. VS. the extremes of Florida or Minnesota weather. Why do the snowbird people leave at the end of April, they don't want to be here in the summertime heat and humidity.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:32 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I know all about heat index and windchill, they make temperatures feel hotter or colder. I do not want it mostly hot and I do not want it mostly cold. Florida, Texas, Arizona=mostly hot. Minnesota, ND, MT=mostly cold. Tennessee, Arkansas, West Virginia, North Carolina=balance.

This makes Florida too warm 10 months of the year and perfect the remaining 60 days(not all in a row either, can have a good week and the next week a hot week.)

Minnesota summers will be nice and pleasent with highs of 60-85 and lows a refreshing 40-55
Minnesota winters are way too cold, highs can be below zero, lows can be -20 and windchills are brutal!

The summers are still milder than Florida. Highs in the mid 80s, lows in the mid 60s(very refreshing, can sleep without sweating, in Florida sweat in your sleep)
Springs and falls are pleasent with highs in the 50s to low 70s and lows in the 40s to 50s, rarely freezing.
Winters are mild with highs in the 40s to low 50s and lows not much below freezing, rarely or never gets down to zero.

I will be too hot about 2 months of the year and too cold about 3 months of the year.

I know that NAH catches a lot of flak here on this forum for some of his posts, but this one makes a lot of sense. YES, states have a balance of weather, and all of us are individuals who may feel better a little on the cool side or some on the warm side. My sister chose Wisconsin - similar to Minnesota with the long winters and she LOVES it - she has lived there for years and I have never heard her complain about the cold!

Many people (myself included) have discovered there are a lot of states with a nice balance of four mild seasons - states like North and South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia to name a few, and are moving there or planning to - nothing wrong with that. As a native Floridian I am tired of the perpetual summers and have no family here (neither does my hubby) so we chose NC as our future home. We will be keeping the Florida house for several years, but have the NC house for part-time living and vacations - we love it, every season is nice, and the winters are very tolerable - only a dusting of snow, and the majority of days are 40-50 for the highs and 20-30 fo the low - perfect winter weather to me. Best of all, the summers in the mountains rarely get above mid 80's for the high and mid 60's for the low, and MUCH lower humidity! So it's all about getting the closest to what each one personally finds the most comfortable.

I'm just glad we all prefer something different, otherwise some states would be empty!

Old 03-06-2007, 11:39 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
The best weather is yet to come...! We had a taste a few days ago - FINALLY hit 90 & I was all happy & chipper & singing "It's beginning to look a lot like summer..."
But alas, it tends to spaz at the changing of the seasons & I'm back to 3 laters & heat... I didn't put a cause it's only getting HOTTER! We're going TOWARDS the best weather, not away...
So I have no reason to be mad! I have about 5 months (April & Oct are so so - May, June, July,Aug & Sept are nice - of course mainly June July & August!) of AWESOME LIFE INSPIRING SWEAT INDUCING WONDERFUL GLORIOUS HEAT!!!!!!!!!
Time to go HIKING!!!
The "birds" will be gone, the "wusses" will be indoors in their ac, & we can have all the scenery in splendid solitude!!!
Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!
Thanks for mentioning the positives. I rarely have the a/c on in July and August here in Chicago because I like the heat, even though it could be in the 90's outside and humid.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:44 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I just have to add that NBC is having a series on this week about people and happiness. Tonight they said that people in the South are happier then people in the North. I definitely agree. I'm much happier spring, summer, and autumn then I am in the winter.
Good point. I have read this before and I am thinking it's due to more sunshine/less grey days (how many people suffer from SAD in the South vs. North?), and ability to go outside more often.

I'm happier in the Spring and Summer too. Fall, not as much because I guess my body and brain know that Winter is around the corner.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:01 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,216,432 times
i agree and disagree... nc gets very hot in the summer, it just doesnt stick around as long. but trust me, visit in the summer, it's hot as hell. in highschool, we didnt have a/c in school, so they would let us out if it got over 90 degrees. we got out a lot.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:24 PM

27 posts, read 187,184 times
Smile WV - Cold as any northern state right now...

Right now, the temp is about 29, a high for today. Tonight, we are expecting heavy snow, anywhere from a couple of inches to half a foot or so.

Today, it was a balmy 8 degrees factored in with the wind chill.

I have lived here for two years as of next month, and the weather is just as cold here as it was in Rhode Island, where I lived for over 40 years.

The winter seemed less harsher, and the accumulations of snow is supposed to be less here, but colder up north, but not this year.

Oh, and if you don't like hills, don't move here. I don't. You ESPECIALLY need the studs in the tires for when it is icy and all you can do is hang on sliding down a hill, or hope you can make it up one to get home, or just leave your car at the bottom of the hill and walk all the way home in the snow up the hill. (moved here for economic reasons, not my idea...)

But, this year, WV got MORE snow than New England did. Only thing, a tad bit less humid than New England here in WV. Not enough for me to go without an ocean to see, smell and touch, lol!!!

I lived in Ormond Beach, Florida for about 9 months, and miss it. Moved not so much because of the heat and humidity, but the lovely "Palmetto" bugs, yuck! I couldn't stand it! Even with the exterminator we hired, I still didn't want to see them dead either.

Is any part of FL less prone to them, or they are just all over? I just don't recall seeing any when I visited Fort Myers, but then again, I didn't live there, I stayed in a condo for several weeks.

Will be moving back to Fl eventually, wondering about the Zypherhills (sp?) area? I may be able to relocate there via my job.

Thanks,

MB

Old 03-06-2007, 04:31 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,217,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
i agree and disagree... nc gets very hot in the summer, it just doesnt stick around as long. but trust me, visit in the summer, it's hot as hell. in highschool, we didnt have a/c in school, so they would let us out if it got over 90 degrees. we got out a lot.

We didn't have a/c growing up in central Fl, either, but had this huge fan in the ceiling of our hallway and it sucked air up into the attic. when my friend's dad had a heart attack, they got a window unit in the parents' bedroom. Oweee,,,we were in high cotton when we got to go into that room to play!

I remember spending a summer outside of Goldsboro, NC and is was over 100 for 18 days straight...

Old 03-07-2007, 06:27 AM

48 posts, read 192,386 times
Quote:

Okay, well said. I was starting to think you just didn't get it...you do. So you will have a few brutal months as opposed to several. Enjoy and good luck!

Old 03-16-2007, 08:28 AM

35 posts, read 161,575 times
Quote:

Well said 'need affordable home'.....was outa' town for a while and had puter probs...had to do lots of thread reading!!! All threads are very well said about weather. Truely, I DO WEAR 5 upper layers!!! I wear a really light spegetti strap tank (my hottest weather summer tank then a regular tanktop, then something like a longsleeve winter thermal top, then a sweater then a coat over. so i guess actually 4 layers and a coat and that's for those days of zero to 20-30 below weather..well maybe from 20 downward... the wind chill around lake michigan is really bad. Windy City remember?? and of course the cra*py snow....heavy wet shovel the parking,deck...ice...ARUGHHHHHH hopefully thats all behind us now...although the weather person said our latest snow was in MAY!!!

We actually had a heat wave here a few days aago ...it hit a record of 73 and it was W O N D E R F U L!!! we had our time change....so those terrible winter days of no light are finally behind us.... we went from DST to CDT. so sun starts to rise 5:45a (instead of 7:30a) and it stays light until about 6p..in longest days of summer--stays light until about 8:30-9p. I have to force myself out in the worst of winter to go to the tanning beds.

To all out there that suffer from SAD in winter.......try the tanning beds...yeah, i heard all about the harm they do...i've been doing them for 25+ yrs and no probs yet... thats my only vice, no drugs, no smoking...well i do some wine every now and then.. ....but i'll take tanning instead. it really helps a great deal....
You are so right about your humidity....now i remember that...i guess after all we may go to TN or SC or coastal GA. Probably TN. Property is more affordable there!!! The heat is pretty bad down in FL. I was thinking like the keys or some coastal area that would get a gulf or ocean breeze. but yeah, that sweating is a pain....

Up here in chi-town, the 'dog days of summer' get bad too. It's like that FL weather. 90s+100% hummidity is N A S T Y. as soon as you shower....correcto mundo....shower again.... but we only get about 10-20 days of that bad bad hot hot super hot days. I guess the grass is greener on the other side, right?? We always want what we cant have

We all get down and crabby about the weather we have to tolerate. I've lived up here in same area for 45 yrs...so i guess i just fed up w/it and need a change!!! I do love spring and fall..i can tolerate the heat....but just not the cold cold snowy days!!

I hope you have found a nice place in northern FL! Best of luck to ya!! And if you've lived down there your whole live too, i dont think you'd adjust to well up here in the northern areas... your blood is too thin from the heat and you'd definetely freeze on the brutal cold days!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida