Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2007, 11:53 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving-soon View Post
MUCH RATHER PAY AC THAN HEATING BILL!!! RATHER SWEAT THAN HAVE FROSTBITE!! Don't move to chicago!!! Right now we have, believe it or not, thunderstorms, then it's turning into a sleet/freezing rain...then tonite more wonderful SNOW. We are in a heatwave this week. Last few weeks it was in single digits... Ever wonder what air temp. of 10 below with a 30 below windchill feels like?? thats what we had about 3 weeks ago.. We get it all, spring beautiful!! summers get to 80-90+, autumns are nice...then the awful winters..... and the wonderful windchills from lake michigan. oh i forgot...the great lake effect snow...we got a foot and a half of snow this winter too!!! Yeah, we get 300 $$ heating bills in the coldest of winters...then we get 250 AC bills in the summer... I'LL TAKE AC/AND SWEAT!!! We will be moving down to florida soon/within the year and i cant wait. The worst part....and most expensive is clothing requirements....not only do we need spring/fall gear...but summer gear, shorts, sandles, tanks....then in winter we need subzero coats, hats, scarves, gloves, snow boots, regular boots, the worst is having somany clothes for all the seasons!!!!!!!!!!! i'll take just summer and cool--50-60 degree clothes instead of 5 dressers for all seasons!!! wish is could send you a bone chillling below zero blast of cold lake effect wind chills in excess of 30 below with air temp of 5 below----you might change your mind soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well said moving_soon. Wow! My thoughts exactly! My highest A/C bill has never even been CLOSE to my average heating bill. And you are so right about all the clothes, not to mention the wind chill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 12:09 PM

467 posts, read 1,691,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Not for me. Ive gone outside all the time in 50 to 60 degree and I love it. I do have to wear a shirt indoors when it gets to 65 otherwise I go shirtless. I guess I just tolerate cold pretty well. I really am going to have to visit the northeast in the middle of winter and see how that feels. I have no idea what anything below 40 degrees feels like.

Even St. Augustine, FL has much better weather than West Palm Beach! Its 74 right now outside! Let me go out and see how this feels. Ok it feels pretty warm even outside!
im not sure I understand how you can say you have no idea what below 40 degrees feels like but sit there and tell all these people how it is so much better than florida and how much you will love it. heres the hypocracy thing again.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:37 PM

58 posts, read 182,243 times
The difference between cold and heat, in my opinion is this.
Cold hurts. It downright hurts. Frostbite wind, you can not escape. Cold takes over and there is no hiding.
Heat, is uncomfortable. You got a pool? Done. Fixed. You got a shower? Take a cold one! You can find shade, find a cool pond and you're fine.
Cold kills. Don't get stranded in the cold, you can wound up dead.
Happens a lot. A short trip somewhere in the car, you slide off the road into the snow bank, you can't be found. Too cold to stay alive for too long.

Funny now in Chicago, it's in the 30's, and we're having flood watches because it's pouring rain and the ground is already frozen.
Love the winter! not.

Peace.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:09 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,261,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrz44 View Post
Cold hurts. It downright hurts. Frostbite wind, you can not escape. Cold takes over and there is no hiding.
Heat, is uncomfortable. You got a pool? Done. Fixed. You got a shower? Take a cold one! You can find shade, find a cool pond and you're fine.
Happens a lot. A short trip somewhere in the car, you slide off the road into the snow bank, you can't be found. Too cold to stay alive for too long.

Funny now in Chicago, it's in the 30's, and we're having flood watches because it's pouring rain and the ground is already frozen.
Love the winter! not.

Peace.
Funny you should mention the car thing, ekrz. I live right off route I87 in NY State. It goes from Albany straight up to Montreal, so a lot of Canadians drive it. About 2 weeks ago, during a snow storm, a couple returning from a wedding slid off the road and landed in the ditch where the car could not be seen from the road. In that particular location, there is no cell phone coverage. The wife had multiple broken bones. THe husband, a trained EMT, was also injured, but not as badly. THey couldn't get out of the car as the doors were jammed in the wreck. The husband tried kicking out the back window and partially succeeded, but not completely. His legs got stuck half in, half out. He couldn't move. WIthin 12 hours, he was dead of hypothermia. The wife survived (barely), but wasn't found till about 36 hours after the accident. She was conscious the entire time. THe only way they found her was the family called the police to report them missing and they did an extensive search.

Still think cold ain't so bad???

Old 03-01-2007, 01:10 PM

35 posts, read 161,525 times
Quote:

Love the winter! not.

Peace.
Well Said too!!!! Nothing like putting on 5 layers of clothes just to turn on the car heat then remove and reput those clothes on to push a shopping cart full of groceries in an unplowed lot.... you are so right...cold kills...and i couldnt agree more..jump in a pool, take a cool shower!!!! no escape when you are walking to your destination and your toes, fingers and face are frozen and the wind rips your liver in half!!!! Yeah, 30 now...flood watches... and then i heard icestorm and snow tonite when temp drops... oh....just now across my TV screen... A THUNDERSTORM warning... what the %^&(^&^*(...... if i sold all of my winter clothes, i could probably pay for a yeears worth of AC. Guess that's Y chicago wages are so high.......we get high AC bills/ high Heat bills, flood insurance too when you live by a river. Guess thats what makes us chicagoans so tough.... oh yeah, watch for gunfire too from those drivebys

Old 03-01-2007, 01:26 PM

58 posts, read 182,243 times
Yes nomoresnow (great tag!) that happens a lot.
That's my biggest fear actually in the winter. Sliding off the road into a snow bank and not being able to get out of the car. In those areas the cell phone coverage is bad to begin with.

And I agree moving soon, driving with a winter coat blows. What really chaps me is my gas mileage in the winter.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:52 PM

35 posts, read 161,525 times
Quote:
Yes nomoresnow (great tag!) that happens a lot.
That's my biggest fear actually in the winter. Sliding off the road into a snow bank and not being able to get out of the car. In those areas the cell phone coverage is bad to begin with.

And I agree moving soon, driving with a winter coat blows. What really chaps me is my gas mileage in the winter.
ABSOLUTELY!! my fear too...but get a four-wheel drive... dont use it much, it's more expensive...but it sure has saved me many times.... right about the celll... and onstar too expensive... Gas milage sux in the four wheel drive -but we are close to work...guess that's why i stay in the suburb that i do...cheap to drive the 4x4....it's an older truck, but it's paid for and i really love my 4 wheel drive!! look into it..... only thing ...it doesnt help on ice...and that 'black ice' will get 'cha...right off the road..but with the 4x4 you can usually drive outa really deep snow!!

Old 03-01-2007, 05:12 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,150 times
Quote:
MUCH RATHER PAY AC THAN HEATING BILL!!! RATHER SWEAT THAN HAVE FROSTBITE!! Don't move to chicago!!! Right now we have, believe it or not, thunderstorms, then it's turning into a sleet/freezing rain...then tonite more wonderful SNOW. We are in a heatwave this week. Last few weeks it was in single digits... Ever wonder what air temp. of 10 below with a 30 below windchill feels like?? thats what we had about 3 weeks ago.. We get it all, spring beautiful!! summers get to 80-90+, autumns are nice...then the awful winters..... and the wonderful windchills from lake michigan. oh i forgot...the great lake effect snow...we got a foot and a half of snow this winter too!!! Yeah, we get 300 $$ heating bills in the coldest of winters...then we get 250 AC bills in the summer... I'LL TAKE AC/AND SWEAT!!! We will be moving down to florida soon/within the year and i cant wait. The worst part....and most expensive is clothing requirements....not only do we need spring/fall gear...but summer gear, shorts, sandles, tanks....then in winter we need subzero coats, hats, scarves, gloves, snow boots, regular boots, the worst is having somany clothes for all the seasons!!!!!!!!!!! i'll take just summer and cool--50-60 degree clothes instead of 5 dressers for all seasons!!! wish is could send you a bone chillling below zero blast of cold lake effect wind chills in excess of 30 below with air temp of 5 below----you might change your mind soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are entitled to your opinion. I am sick and tired of the heat and my parents know this. I dream everyday of being up north in the fresh cool 50 degree air(it doesnt get that cold unless you are really far north) Its 53 degrees now in Pittsburgh, 41 in Oil city, and in West Virginia its mid 40s to mid 50s depending where. Thats my type of temperatures I wish I had!
Even in Chicago the high is 45 now with lows of 20-25. Cold enough for a little heat but youll soon have perfect weather in spring while I sweat and suffer everyday! You admit your springs and autums are beautiful and you dont mind the summer heat. This means you have 8-9 months of good weather and 3-4 months of cold, snowy winters. We in south FL have good weather about 25% of the time in the "winter" and the rest of the time its hot and humid

If your gonna move to FL, definately live in north FL, it doesnt have the problems that south FL does. I would be fine living in north FL except houses are too expensive and theres hurricanes! If you want cool 50 degrees, youll get that in north FL during the "winter" Dont send me minus temperatures, send me 50 degree temperatures

Quote:

Love the winter! not.

Peace.
Thats what my mom says but I dont experience pain from cold, just shivering and my fingers get a little stiff and numb. All you have to do is stay indoors or wear a proper coat and youll be fine. Millions live in cold climates and most people prefer four seasons over a tropical climate in fact. Heat kills faster than cold.

Quote:
Well Said too!!!! Nothing like putting on 5 layers of clothes just to turn on the car heat then remove and reput those clothes on to push a shopping cart full of groceries in an unplowed lot.... you are so right...cold kills...and i couldnt agree more..jump in a pool, take a cool shower!!!! no escape when you are walking to your destination and your toes, fingers and face are frozen and the wind rips your liver in half!!!!

Hun, you are being silly. 5 layers of cloth? This isnt the north pole. Ill only need two layers(a long sleeve shirt and a coat on top) when I move to the northeast with temperatures of 20 to 40, occasionally lower in the winter. I dont think this is bad at all. I think you are going to be in for a bad supprise in Florida. Imagine not being able to get in the car for 5 minutes cause its boiling hot? Burning your fingers touching the steering wheel? Watching your ice cream melt before you even get home? Sweating after being outside for one minute? Getting sunburned like a tomato when swimming? Cool showers are fine, but then you are hot again after the shower! You will be hot and miserable at least 10 months in Florida and even in the "winter" it can sometimes get pretty hot! In the northeast the weather is nice for much longer than in FL. Theres a reason why most people voted for four seasons!

Old 03-01-2007, 07:20 PM

48 posts, read 192,319 times
Default Wind Chill Factor

Don't forget the wind chill factor. I live in NJ and often it is 15-20 degrees cooler with the wind chill. If the forcast is 32 degrees, it will often feel like 20 degrees because of the windchill factore. If you live in the south you might not realize how much this will affect you. If you like the cold, great. I certainly would not criticize that...I don't mind it most times...it's just the winters are getting too long. The sun sets earlier up here as well. Approximately 1/2 hour less daylight we have up North. I have read the year round statistics for our temperature here in NJ...it does seem like it gets that cold when you read the statistics, but it does. The month of February with the wind chill factor it was almost 0 - 10 degrees every day. Can I tell you how cold that is. The weather man would say we were going up to 23...but with the windchill it never happened. I like the cold, too. Just know that heating your home with a windchill is brutally expensive. Good luck.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:30 PM

393 posts, read 1,497,971 times
I hear time and again from northerners that winter lasts "forever" and how miserable it makes them. I do understand and even sympathize because a few months of extreme temperatures and perpetually overcast days can bring a person down. But the weather changes and then there is spring/summer.

It all just depends on your tolerance of heat and humidity verses frigid cold and snow. Personally, I prefer a few months of reeeallly cold to nine/ten months of stickyslimeysweatygross warmth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida