Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 07:49 AM

528 posts, read 2,480,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsont3 View Post
You are being told that your perception of the winters in the Northeast is wrong by people who live there and you don't accept it. I would not dismiss their experience if I were you.
On the other hand, with your plan to not spend more than $50,000 on a home, you won't ever get the opportunity to find out who is right.

exactly right....I grew up in New England, and winters in the "northeast" or at least what I consider northeast, can be brutal. There are occasional years (like this one) that are milder, but it is not the norm. I don't understand his statement that he thinks he can live in a house without the heat on, as long as it is 40 degrees outside....he ought to try that for just one day .
And a $50,000 home....where in the northeast is there a liveable house like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 02:11 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Toria, there are houses on realtor.com in small towns in the northeast. We have them in the midwest, too. But the problem for most of us is that we can't live in those towns because they have no jobs or no entertainment at all. We lived in a small town for many years and we had a very nice house and I won't tell you the price because you'd laugh. We had to drive over here for work and clothes shopping, etc. It's not fun to do in the wintertime. Now they don't even have a grocery store anymore. NAH is self employed and works out of his home so the job factor wouldn't affect him at all.

NAH, are you aware of any of the things we asked about? Did you have heat stroke at one time or possibly Graves Disease because the heat affects you so badly?

Old 03-04-2007, 02:31 PM

177 posts, read 684,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Toria, there are houses on realtor.com in small towns in the northeast. We have them in the midwest, too. But the problem for most of us is that we can't live in those towns because they have no jobs or no entertainment at all. We lived in a small town for many years and we had a very nice house and I won't tell you the price because you'd laugh. We had to drive over here for work and clothes shopping, etc. It's not fun to do in the wintertime. Now they don't even have a grocery store anymore. NAH is self employed and works out of his home so the job factor wouldn't affect him at all.

NAH, are you aware of any of the things we asked about? Did you have heat stroke at one time or possibly Graves Disease because the heat affects you so badly?

My suggestion to anyone who thinks that they will be happy in a home in the northeast that costs $50,000, jump on it. Move there, enjoy our "mild" winters and affordable lifestyles. Just be prepared to upgrade things like insulation, windows, heating, etc.
I truly wish you good hunting and good luck in your quest.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:22 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Hi Watson, oh~I have no intention on moving there. Even though their winters are milder then they are here, I've had enough snow and cold to last a lifetime. I'm heading for the palm trees and warmth and family picnics. In our smaller towns, we do have pretty nice houses for 50,000, but like I said, no jobs, no stores, no entertainment, no doctors in town, no pharmacies, etc. Not for this chick.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:49 PM

177 posts, read 684,292 times
Quote:
Hi Watson, oh~I have no intention on moving there. Even though their winters are milder then they are here, I've had enough snow and cold to last a lifetime. I'm heading for the palm trees and warmth and family picnics. In our smaller towns, we do have pretty nice houses for 50,000, but like I said, no jobs, no stores, no entertainment, no doctors in town, no pharmacies, etc. Not for this chick.

My suggestion was aimed at NAH. I really hope that he is able to find what he is looking for, I just have my doubts that he is facing reality.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,355 times
Default i am new to this and need some info.

my name is nancy and i am retired and living in my motorhome as a fulltimer.i and my son whom travels for work need to locate a peice of bare land with some improvements.water/sewar is all or more.do the city fathers allow this? i hope that you can be of some help.thanks nancy.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,355 times
i have alot of friends in glen st marys and jax.i lived in lake city in the mid 80s.thanks for the update.i am in newmexico and there is a lot of theives in this state.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:08 PM

2 posts, read 11,214 times
We live just a hundred miles or so south of watsont3 on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. We're in our thirties with two children and are considering moving south just to avoid the winters here. I would encourage all to go to weather.com and check the average temps year round for FL & MD. Average summer temps in MD is a whopping 3 degrees less than Florida, but 26 degrees difference in the winter is significant. Just look at the curve in the average temps! Florida doesn't have a winter! That's why we're looking at moving south. We live in a rural county 60 miles east of DC with an average home sale of 350K. Why not move where I can by a comp. house for half of what mine's worth and enjoy the beach in Feb?

Old 03-04-2007, 10:25 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
what exactly is your definition of "midwest" and "northeast", 'cause I don't think the statement above is accurate....

midwest are the states in central USA, northeast is TN and NC all the way to Maine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Being unable to tolerate heat even mild heat as you describe can be a symptom of disease such as Graves disease. It can also be a side effect of some drugs. What you describe is so out of the ordinary you should look in to there maybe being something wrong with you. It sounds like it makes you almost dysfunctional.
I dont do drugs and I feel fine. Maybe my body chemistry changed or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
20 degree winters are not mild. 20 degrees sounds mild (I guess?) until you've actually lived in it. -20 could easily happen in Oil City. You rely way too much on stats, and little real world experience. People tell you how bad Oil City is, you ignore that. People tell you it will get cold, you ignore that. I don't know what to tell you anymore...

If you ask me, it sounds like you don't like extremes -- not just heat, but cold as well. Good luck finding a climate with no extremes that has $50k houses. You won't find it. This sounds mean, but in the end, I'm trying to save you time researching, although it's unlikely you'll listen to me or care.

The bottom line is, I don't think you'll listen to anyone until you're sitting in Oil City, with a 10 degree windchill, with the heat set at 60, freezing cold, wishing you had listened.
Oil city is zone 7a. It almost never gets below zero and the average January low is 16 degrees, doesnt sound so bad. Theres SE Ohio and WV with average winter lows of mid 20s and highs well above freezing. Cosmic lives by Woodsfield that has almost no winter. He says the snow melts once the sun comes out and the air gets nice and warm. I will be sure to visit Oil city and Woodsfield in the winter and compare the two But weather isnt everything, Oil city could be alot better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
While I do enjoy cool weather, I'll take the hot summers here over the frigid northern winters. At least you don't have to shovel the heat.
Spring/fall would be my favoriate season, too bad its always summer in south FL with the rare exception of a "cold" front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
exactly right....I grew up in New England, and winters in the "northeast" or at least what I consider northeast, can be brutal. There are occasional years (like this one) that are milder, but it is not the norm. I don't understand his statement that he thinks he can live in a house without the heat on, as long as it is 40 degrees outside....he ought to try that for just one day .
And a $50,000 home....where in the northeast is there a liveable house like that?

They can be im sure but ive been checking the weather all winter and the temperatures often go above freezing for a high. In fact Oil city's average midwinter high is 34 and further south in OH and WV you can easily get highs of 45 to 60 degrees, just perfect really. I really need to visit the northeast next winter and compare the two to help me decide if I should choose Oil city or some other city further south. As for heat, ill turn it on when it gets to 32 outside. If its 40 outside, itll be 65 inside without heat. Its 79 in my bedroom right now!

Quote:
Ive gotten dizzy from the heat before, id say heat exhaustion. Had to rest in the shade. I really am not looking forward to summer, will be stuck indoors all summer while the people up north can have fun cause its 72 there while its 90 here Ive been to Wyoming twice in the summer and I loved the weather, it was like 65 for a high, windy and I didnt even feel cold with shorts and tshirt. The gentle sun felt so good unlike the south FL sun where my skin starts turning red in a few minutes

Old 03-04-2007, 10:32 PM

669 posts, read 3,193,340 times
People up north still stay inside in the AC and such. It's still hot and sticky. No, not as bad as Florida, but it's not like once you hit Georgia everyone's playing tag outside 24/7. It's still hot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida