Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 10:44 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times

Advertisements

Tonight is an improvement, but in a house will small rooms a big guy like me acts like a mobile furnace. While the rest of the house has fallen to 72, my bedroom is almost 80, even with the windows open. I have come home on a cool day when the house fell in temp to 60 and closed my windows. By morning the bedroom was 72! This despite the outside temp being 45. I spend over 98% of my time at home next to a fan or fans. I even invented a portable fan to blow air in my pants and shirt when working outside. Yes I can take a lot of heat as I was born in Florida, but it puts me in such a bad mood and all the sweating causes rashes and destroys my clothes. No wonder people in Florida are out of shape. It's too hot! Good for retired people who don't do anything productive outside though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 06:50 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
I have to say I agree, getting outside to ride the bike or run from May - November usually, this year December and January were too hot in Miami also (26 days spent above 80 + humidity in December), isn't great. I go to the gym during those months. This is why people run from the house to the car, to the office, because it truely is uncomfortable. People up north do the run to the car to the office, but during the winter months. The snowbirds have it correct.

Two days ago, it was 88 degrees with 70% humidity, so that makes the heat index the feels like temperature 100.2 degrees. Not comfortable IMO.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:08 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Something I want to add about the heat here in Florida which doesn't get mentioned. We know about the high humidity combined with the high temperatures - but another thing is the fact that Florida is subtropical and the sun here is EXTREMELY intense! I always notice this after I have been anywhere else in the United States! When I come back I tell my husband that the light seems very harsh here. And it is especially bad in South Florida. It is not quite as bad up here in my little town, but there is still a big difference.

As an aside, a few years ago we vacationed in the California Central Coast area (talk about paradise!) and we were in Paso Robles, which is inland and very hot and dry in the summer, routinely in the 100's. When we stopped to get a bite to eat we were talking with two girls who worked there and had recently visited Miami and they said they couldn't stand the weather - that they needed a bath 20 minutes after they took one because they couldn't stop sweating!

Old 03-05-2007, 05:00 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
While I do enjoy cool weather, I'll take the hot summers here over the frigid northern winters. At least you don't have to shovel the heat.
I agree with this 100%!!

And just to mention that at 20 degrees F, if that is the daytime high, the lows can be brutal, especially if you have to go to work early in the morning and leave for home late in the evening. Not to mention the wind and snow that usually accompany it.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:27 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,216,432 times
"No wonder people in Florida are out of shape" (quote)

have you ever been to any state in the south and seen as many "in shape" ppl as fla? i think not. a much higher percentage of ppl take care of themselves physically here in fla than any other state in the south... guarantee.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:33 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times
NAH, I'm wondering if Wyo. may not have the same type of climate that Western So. Dak. has which is a semi-arid climate. We get humidity East River and my sis in law has nearly passed out here on some of our hot summer days. We were walking through a cornfield in search of our great grandmother's grave one hot summer day and we didn't think she'd make it back to the car. I remember it was about 103 that day. And she's a native Floridian. I personally feel hotter when we go to Florida because you really do have more humidity then we do, but it gets a bit stuffy up here, too. Keep in mind that this summer we tied our old record that was set in 1936 which is 116 degrees. But I do admit that our summers just don't feel as hot as they do in Florida. And it sounds like you possibly have had heat stroke. That can change a person's tolerance for heat.

I just have to add that NBC is having a series on this week about people and happiness. Tonight they said that people in the South are happier then people in the North. I definitely agree. I'm much happier spring, summer, and autumn then I am in the winter.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:37 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,088,670 times
The humidity makes FL feel hot. Ive been to Las Vegas and it was like 103 degrees and didnt feel any worse than south FL at 90. There was a difference in the way I suffered, both cases are very unpleasent.

Yesterday and today its cooler like low to mid 50s so with my window open its 74 now in my room and im not hot. You guys up north get this weather most of the time!

Old 03-06-2007, 01:53 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,992 times
The best weather is yet to come...! We had a taste a few days ago - FINALLY hit 90 & I was all happy & chipper & singing "It's beginning to look a lot like summer..."
But alas, it tends to spaz at the changing of the seasons & I'm back to 3 laters & heat... I didn't put a cause it's only getting HOTTER! We're going TOWARDS the best weather, not away...
So I have no reason to be mad! I have about 5 months (April & Oct are so so - May, June, July,Aug & Sept are nice - of course mainly June July & August!) of AWESOME LIFE INSPIRING SWEAT INDUCING WONDERFUL GLORIOUS HEAT!!!!!!!!!
Time to go HIKING!!!
The "birds" will be gone, the "wusses" will be indoors in their ac, & we can have all the scenery in splendid solitude!!!
Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!

Old 03-06-2007, 04:40 AM

48 posts, read 192,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
The humidity makes FL feel hot. Ive been to Las Vegas and it was like 103 degrees and didnt feel any worse than south FL at 90. There was a difference in the way I suffered, both cases are very unpleasent.

Yesterday and today its cooler like low to mid 50s so with my window open its 74 now in my room and im not hot. You guys up north get this weather most of the time!
I must say I do'nt think you realize just how cold it really gets. You can't go by the temp's you see on data charts. You just said it was 90 and with the humidity it feels like 130...the wind chill up North does the same thing. Right this second in Philadelphia I am watching the news...it is 17 degrees at the airport but with the wind chill it is -1. Do you have any idea how cold that is? I still have to walk my dog before I go to work...aaaahhhhh! I just want you to know there is a big difference with the wind chill just as there is a big difference with the humidity. I can take the cold since I was born and raised in it...it's all good as far as I am concerned. I have met many people who have moved North as wll as South...they all say it is easier to move south than it is to move north.

I agree completely with you that when it's in the 60's it is great. I guess we just have the reverse of bad weather. It's whatever people's preferences are...unless you live in the French Riviera...which sometimes has extreme weather but rare...there is no perfect place. Do you want mostly HOT or mostly COLD?

We know you like it cold...I hope you do get to move up here. I don't think there is anything like NE coast living. Sophisticated, fast, culturally aware, well educated and successful bunch of folks up here. Pluse there are smaller more laid back communities if you don't like the fast pace as well. It's quite nice.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:40 AM

669 posts, read 3,194,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post

It's humid for several months up north too...how many times does someone have to say this before you swallow it? If you truly hate humidity that much you'd take notice, even though the northern summer is obviously shorter, it's still a consideration...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida