Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2007, 08:08 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,083,660 times

Advertisements

So why dont you and your parents relocate together? If your home is worth so much, could you retire on the equity and live someplace where you like and bond with nature?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 08:16 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,207,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
When I was in Tampa, I stayed in an RV park and purchased an outside fireplace. Something with a screen over it. You know, set around in the evening with the neighbors and a beer while our feet were propped up towards the fire. I needed wood. I found wood so cheap in Florida, it was unbelievable.

I called a tree trimmer that advertised that he had mature oak. I asked him what he got for a cord. He said, "I don't sell it by the cord, cause a cord don't exactly fit in a pickup." I said, how do you sell it? He said, "Well, I have a 3/4 ton pickup, and a pickup box trailer. I just throw it in, I don't stack it in. I fill both boxes with Oak. Plus I throw in 15 or 16 good pieces of lighter." The load, delivered and stacked is $55." I said bring it on. When he got there, it was raining cats and dogs. I told him just dump the load and when it quit raining, I'd stack it up. I gave him his money. He said, "This ain't quite right, I said I'd deliver and stack, rain or no rain." I had to argue with him to just dump it and leave. Then when I went to help him he argued that I didn't need to help. Course, that was Tampa area. Not sure how it is the rest of the state, but it all looked pretty much the same where I went. haha

Forgot to mention. All of the wood was split except for about 5 or 6 pieces that were too big to burn right. Everything else was perfect.
What a nice story. I moved from south Florida to Tallahassee and needed a new roof on my home in Tally. I had a lawsuit with a roofer in south Florida for a 14k roof job. He knew I was about to sell and leave the area and thought that he had me over a barrel(tile roof-lol). Instead, I bonded the amount (less than total cost) with the Clerk of the Court, sold the house and moved.

When I went to have the roof on my Tally home replaced, I asked the guy for a contract. He had done minor repairs over the years while I was renting it out and I had never met him. He would fix the roof, send me a bill and I'd pay it.

Still smarting from the %$#&%& that I had gotten in Broward, I asked the Tally roofer for a contract and he said, "well, I've never used one in twenty years, but if you want one, I'll get one." I asked what he did if there was a dispute about his work. "Well, they just tell me what the problem is and I come out and fix it."

I went without the contract and he did a great job. I won the lawsuit with the idiot in south Florida, but spent more than I owed him to do so. Although my lawyer told me to just settle, I made the decision to proceed. I have never regretted the extra money spent to win that suit..... Considered it a little kiss on my a** from that jerk!

Old 02-27-2007, 08:20 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Its cheap cause no one needs/uses firewood. I use air condition in the "winter" here in south FL. Sometimes if it gets "cold" like 50 I can just open the window and stop sweating. I really wish it was 50. Also im not looking forward to the hurricanes of 2007.

We used our fireplace several times this winter so I hope when we need to replenish our wood supply that we can find it so cheap! Of course I don't live in So. FL....I'm in Central.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:37 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,212,994 times
need aff housing, i lived in western nc. you would like it as it is cold as hell there about 5 months out of the yr. ppl dont do anything outside from oct to march. the skies are grey, and there is nothing to do. oh, but the mtns are pretty to look at, but you have to drive to see them... i couldnt see them from my house. i now live in east orlando with hopes of moving to northern fla down the road. we'll see...

Old 02-27-2007, 09:16 PM

Let me check the weather for NC. Ok you got excellent climate. Your summers average low to mid 80s and rarely get to 90. Hot but not boiling. Your summer nights average mid 60s, just cool enough that you can open the window and spin the fan without sweating or needing a/c. Your springs and falls are a delight with high 60s during the day and mid 40s to 50s at night. You rarely need a/c or heat. Your winters are mild with highs of 50s and 60s common with the occasional 70! Lows are high 20s with very little snow that melts shortly after the sun comes out. I would love to live there if I find affordable housing. Oil city gets pretty cold.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:48 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,744,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
So why dont you and your parents relocate together? If your home is worth so much, could you retire on the equity and live someplace where you like and bond with nature?
YES I know, but where? There are worse plces than Florida and I do not want to be in one of them. Also giving up and running just seems wrong. really I just want to be in Florida for the "big one" and see if my home design really holds up. Don't want to be abother Floridiot ruining someone's paradise.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
YES I know, but where? There are worse plces than Florida and I do not want to be in one of them. Also giving up and running just seems wrong. really I just want to be in Florida for the "big one" and see if my home design really holds up. Don't want to be abother Floridiot ruining someone's paradise.

Are you even insured? You seriously want to lose your house? Are you gonna be riding out "the big one" theres nothing wrong with relocation if it makes you happy. Is there anywhere youd rather be? Many places id rather be

Old 02-27-2007, 11:30 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,744,304 times
No I have never gotten insurance for this house. It was expensive even after hurricane Andrew! Not looking to ride out the storm here, most likely I will be with my parents as I always am during hurricanes. Just close up and leave here, sometimes for weeks in hurricane season! But living in kendall is so depressing I have to come back home just to break the depression. When we built this house I bet a lot of people it would be hurricane proof. I just want to test that theory and will need to be here to do it.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:55 PM

Ok say a hurricane comes and nothing happens, do you win lots of cash? What if theres just minor damage? How strong does the hurricane have to be to win the bet? What if you lose the house, sell the land and walk away?

Old 02-28-2007, 12:55 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,190,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
No I have never gotten insurance for this house. It was expensive even after hurricane Andrew! Not looking to ride out the storm here, most likely I will be with my parents as I always am during hurricanes. Just close up and leave here, sometimes for weeks in hurricane season! But living in kendall is so depressing I have to come back home just to break the depression. When we built this house I bet a lot of people it would be hurricane proof. I just want to test that theory and will need to be here to do it.
Do you carry fire and liability?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida