Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 08:16 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Explain easy plan. Can you use as much electricity as you want? No it doesnt make sense. How does it work?
Just as Alexander 59 said
Quote:
Teco averages out your electric bill for the year and then sends you a bill for the average. Lets say you spent 2700.00 dollars last year for all twelve months then they would divide that and send you a bill for 225.00 instead of you getting some bills in the 300.00s and 150.00s it would stay the same, unless you use more or less the next year and it would be adjusted accordingly.
Every year they readjust it so it remains the same every month. So no fearing your bill I will pay $134 every month and next Aug they will average again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2006, 11:45 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
you mean fireplace? Where am I going to get wood? I would have to hike in the forest, chop trees and carry it back. Buying firewood wont save me anything over using a gas heater.
Check out the Black Hills Prevailer. They have an ad in there that they have chopped wood and anyone who wants it needs to come and get it. Right now I could go for some of that heat you have down there.

Old 09-24-2006, 03:43 PM

91 posts, read 336,950 times
Interesting. I lived in NEPA, paid $400+ a mo. in electric, year round, last year. I had 2 houses on 4 acres of wooded property. Nice right? Try heating them in the winter. 2 houses, one on propane and one on kerosene. It more than doubled to fill those tanks last year. What was a $1,500 was like $3,500. If you haven't been watching the gas prices, they are a wee high. What you won't pay in the electric for a/c, you will more than pay for in gas to heat your house and that's even keeping your house @ 68 degrees. Forget the fireplace. Unless they are efficient, they do nothing but look pretty. Wood Stoves will cost you much upfront and depending on what you buy, the pellets, wood, whatever, have also gone up in price. Your house will be more dusty because of that. Be prepared to pay for electric AND gas. For me? I pay $290 a month for electric and that is for everything. Being this is the hot and wet season, I look forward to that bill to go down when I won't need the air as much, if at all in the coming months. If this is the highest it gets I am a-ok with that! In the long run, I am saving a huge bundle Good luck!!

Old 09-24-2006, 05:37 PM

39 posts, read 213,999 times
Default Re: As I sit here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGaudette View Post
Grammy,
I couldn't agree with you more! Everything in FL is airconditioned. If I am hot, I go inside. I do not miss the days of freezing rain, blustery winds, and pushing the grocery cart through the ruts of snow and slush. Yes-it is hot here in the summer for about 3 months, but the humidity levels have already started to drop and we now have about 9 months of absolutely gorgeous weather! In New England, they are experiencing their last few weekends of being able to go out and enjoy the weather. By the end of October the cold sets in and doesn't leave again until May!
Are you kidding me? 9 months of absolutely gorgeous weather? Hell, it won't start to cool down appreciably until mid-late October. Starts to get hot in April some years. You get 6 months of tolerable weather, tops. The absolutely gorgeous weather lasts maybe 3 months at best.

Old 09-24-2006, 08:32 PM

3 posts, read 5,822 times
I agree with YankeeFan...I personally only enjoy Nov-Mar here and I'm up in the panhandle. The rest of the year is ridiculous. It isn't the heat itself that bothers me (I grew up in AZ and have also lived in TX and OK) it is how oppressive the humidity is for 6+ months of the year...as well as not seeing low temperatures below 80 until late Sept!

However, there are plenty of older folks that like hot weather 6-9 months a year. These are the same people that keep their AC thermostats set at 83...to each his/her own.

Old 09-25-2006, 12:48 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,788,762 times
Ah quit yer whinin wouldja?!
Sheesh! The weather in Miami RULES! Period!
The only sucky time is anytime it's under 80! (soon...I've started shopping around for flannel everything...) BUT at least the electric bills are "low"...
Ya'll need to stay (or go back) up north with your "nice" weather!
PaLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Oh - and I ain't old!
I'm HEAT MIZER!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-25-2006, 02:06 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,150 times
If you have to spend big money on air condition or even turn it on, its too hot, period! California has the best weather, ive been there once. Summers are nice and mild, no need for air condition. Winters are above freezing so no need for heat, maybe just wear a long sleeve shirt and long sleeve pants

West Virginia will save me money on air condition and wont need much heating. Why heat to 68 degrees? Heat it to 50 and wear some cloth!

Old 09-25-2006, 02:46 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,788,762 times
Dude! 50??????!!!!!!
Dear LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heat TO 50???????!!!!!!!!
If my house were EVER 50 degrees INSIDE I would be DEAD!!!!!!!!
I have heard from someone who lives in FAIRBANKS that they heat the house to 70!
70 is a normal indoor temp by ANYONE'S standards!!!!!!!!
Sure some prefer it cooler, & some warmer (like ME!!!), but I don't think ANYONE would complain about a 70 degree INDOOR temp!!! 50 indoors is good for a morgue!!!

Old 09-25-2006, 05:36 AM

91 posts, read 336,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Dude! 50??????!!!!!!
Dear LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heat TO 50???????!!!!!!!!
If my house were EVER 50 degrees INSIDE I would be DEAD!!!!!!!!
I have heard from someone who lives in FAIRBANKS that they heat the house to 70!
70 is a normal indoor temp by ANYONE'S standards!!!!!!!!
Sure some prefer it cooler, & some warmer (like ME!!!), but I don't think ANYONE would complain about a 70 degree INDOOR temp!!! 50 indoors is good for a morgue!!!
Too funny! Totally rolling over here, really!! Obviously, Need Affordable hasn't lived in a state where the temps go way low so he can't know that keeping your thermostat at 50, is, well, ridiculous. Visiting places only once doesn't really tell a true story of beautiful weather, all the time, either.
It is also obvious that the mind is set to not pay "big bucks" for a/c and he will keep his heat low and wear lots of clothes.

Well, good. All I can say is b'bye and good luck For me, who isn't old but love the heat AND do not mind the humidity, sans bad hair sometimes will live to enjoy what we are here for, without being critized for it, a/c and all, thank you!

Old 09-25-2006, 05:49 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,169 times
Enjoyed both your responses, Ladies.
Need_afordable_home--I've spent far less on a/c down here than I did on heat in Ohio and I usually kept my place at 68 degrees. When snow is on the ground it creates such a damp chill in the air that you just can't seem to get warm enough. And even with the heat on I dressed in layers (which BTW meant the added expense of winter clothes.) I wish you well in WV! I just prefer the weather here. I don't like to shiver!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida