Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 07:18 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Is there a way to compare the yearly cost caused by winter blizzards vs hurricanes. I will think that blizzards will have a greater cost because they hit more states and the recover process can be longer. Will be a good one to compare, I'll try to do some research, but someone might have the answer...
The one issue is that a major blizzard could effect several states as the ice storm did out in the midwest a few weeks ago. You'd have to be very specific with a hurricane that covered the same land distance as the blizzard.

Depends on if ice was in the blizzard. Regular snow really doesn't hamper much. Ice is a monster b/c it covers power lines & knocks them down. CAn shut down businesses, etc along with many other scenarios.

The snow that hit the upper midwest & NE this past weekend really didn't do much except the usual for a day or two. Things are back to normal & have been all week.

It's just acts of nature & who knows what it will bring

I would think hurricanes would be more expensive. I lived in Punta Gorda & they are still fixing things up even years later. There is a whole section that has not seen much federal/state money & those folks made the news back in July.

But would be quite interesting to see. I just think it would have to be somewhat comparable to some extent b/c of the nature of the events & the geographical impact they can have, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 07:28 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
The one issue is that a major blizzard could effect several states as the ice storm did out in the midwest a few weeks ago. You'd have to be very specific with a hurricane that covered the same land distance as the blizzard.

Depends on if ice was in the blizzard. Regular snow really doesn't hamper much. Ice is a monster b/c it covers power lines & knocks them down. CAn shut down businesses, etc along with many other scenarios.

The snow that hit the upper midwest & NE this past weekend really didn't do much except the usual for a day or two. Things are back to normal & have been all week.

It's just acts of nature & who knows what it will bring

I would think hurricanes would be more expensive. I lived in Punta Gorda & they are still fixing things up even years later. There is a whole section that has not seen much federal/state money & those folks made the news back in July.

But would be quite interesting to see. I just think it would have to be somewhat comparable to some extent b/c of the nature of the events & the geographical impact they can have, etc.

I'm looking for data to compare, I do find it interesting. The cost has to be huge, week without power, business closed, house damages, airport delay, etc should amount to a very large number as this happen a few times during the year from the north west coast to the east cost on a yearly basis....

Or compare how many major winter storms per year vs hurricanes? That might be easier....

Old 12-20-2007, 08:55 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
I'm looking for data to compare, I do find it interesting. The cost has to be huge, week without power, business closed, house damages, airport delay, etc should amount to a very large number as this happen a few times during the year from the north west coast to the east cost on a yearly basis....

Or compare how many major winter storms per year vs hurricanes? That might be easier....
I think there are more damaging winter storms than annual (US) hurricanes on average. I'll be interested to see the data you find though.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:21 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
There are always going to be more winter blizzards & ice storms than hurricanes just due to the nature of these storms; how they form, etc.
And one is looking at a much more massive amount of US territory to cover a winter storm...all the way from WA state to Maine down to NW & central TX. We were stationed in central TX & had a huge ice storm 2 years ago.

I lived in NE OH for 25 years & never experienced businesses or the airport being closed for more than 24-48 hours. But this is not true for others areas that could & do get significant more snowfall due to their locale.

The cost is going to be seen in ice storms b/c those cause the most damage.

Will be interesting to see if how many more there are this winter. All of our snow is basically gone; it's sunny out & in the mid40s...no snow forecasted for the next week or so & CMas day is suppose to be in the low 40s w/ some sun but no snow ):

There are still areas in OK without power. That has just got to be pure awful. Little to complain about when one thinks about that situation out there. They also got nailed with serious rain/flooding this summer in that state.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:31 AM

Lightbulb Oil cost climbs

Winter storms directly affects oil cost: This was posted on 17 Dec, Oil rose for the first time in three days on Monday as a U.S. winter storm spurred fuel consumption, helping halt a $3 slump caused by fears that the economy of the world's top oil consumer is faltering.

U.S. light, sweet crude for January delivery, which expires on Tuesday, rose 45 cents to $91.72 a barrel by 8.55 a.m.

What about: The storm follows last week's ice storm in the Midwest which contributed to the death of at least 13 people and left thousands of homes and businesses without power.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:39 AM

Lightbulb Damage Estimates

The insurance industry estimates the Blizzard of March 2003 was the most expensive winter storm from snow and ice damage in Colorado history (one storm only). The estimated price tag was at least $93.3 million from more than 28,000 claims filed (102.2 million in 2006 dollars). Most of the larger carriers activated their emergency catastrophe teams who specialize in handling disaster claims. This estimate is for damage to homes and automobiles and excludes the large commercial building losses resulting from the blizzard.

Colorado's losses due to winter-related storms:

1. $ 93.3 million in insured damages resulting from heavy snow and ice on March 18-19, 2003
2. $ 10.5 million in insured damage resulting from heavy snow and ice on Oct. 24-26, 1997.
3. $6.4 million in insured damage occurred from Sept. 20, 1995.
4. $4.9 million in insured damage occurred on Dec. 22-26, 1982.

In comparison: Colorado's most costly catastrophe in state history was a $625 million hailstorm that battered the Denver-metro area on July 11, 1990.

I think that a combinations of storms in one year in our nations can easily top the hurricane season...

source: .rmiia.org

Old 12-20-2007, 01:21 PM

601 posts, read 1,904,164 times
Spent 31 years in Alaska.....blizzard, snow storms, the works...never had as much damage to my property ever as when Ivan blew through FL

Old 12-20-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripper View Post
Spent 31 years in Alaska.....blizzard, snow storms, the works...never had as much damage to my property ever as when Ivan blew through FL
What about the rest of the nation? Never had the electrical system down? In Grand Forks ND the whole town was without power and went the ice/snow melted the more than half of the town was under water, direct result from the crude winter for that year. This happened in the winter of 1976/1977.

BTW what area in Alaska? near an USAF base?

Old 12-20-2007, 01:39 PM

365 posts, read 699,240 times
Im curious about snow and shovels, is that really all that snow people have to combat all the pile ups they get?...could they use a hot blower instead...Id be out there w/my hair dryer, that sounds so tiring... God Bless the lovely snow tho, Ive always longed to live in or near some...but it sure sounds like a lot of work...speaking from sunny Fla, but this warm weather sure doesnt make it seem like Xmas, lol...oh well, gonna go count the presents under the tree again anyway, I think I have a grand total of 2 now, lol...Merry Christmas, everybody up north and down south and all across the world...love, LuAnn:confus ed:

Old 12-20-2007, 01:40 PM

365 posts, read 699,240 times
oh, I loved the story too, LewLew, that was funny...that would be me for sure, lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida