Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 06:04 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times

Advertisements

Nah... I miss growing up ON the beach when I was a kid in the 80s... that is about it. Beach kind of stopped doing it for me once I got into high school along with the hot and humid weather and population surge, lack of good jobs, rising crime etc.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:04 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Many are saying they miss the beach. But when I was living in Florida the only beaches that appealed to me were South Beach and Fort Lauderdale Beach. I really missed the boardwalks of the Jersey shore and the high energy enviroment of it.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:24 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Many are saying they miss the beach. But when I was living in Florida the only beaches that appealed to me were South Beach and Fort Lauderdale Beach. I really missed the boardwalks of the Jersey shore and the high energy enviroment of it.

Boardwalk on the jersey shore is even worse then Daytona, an old dump falling apart and attracts only misfits.

Ocean City boardwalk reminds me of a dirty carnival with one armed people yelling at you to toss a dart!!

Trying to compare any beach in New Jersey to any beach is Florida tells me you must never go to the beach.

Besides that, wow, you get to enjoy the NJ beaches for 3 months a year.
Guess you are not a beach person afterall.

The topic is do you miss Florida and boy you must miss it because you have been in Jerzee for a while and still trying to convince people that Jerzee is so much better then Florida.

Let me break it to you..... JERSEY BETTER THEN FLORIDA??--- NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

If I wanted to go to a carnival flea market state fair like atmosphere Ocean City is I can do it at home.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Boardwalk on the jersey shore is even worse then Daytona, an old dump falling apart and attracts only misfits.

Ocean City boardwalk reminds me of a dirty carnival with one armed people yelling at you to toss a dart!!

Trying to compare any beach in New Jersey to any beach is Florida tells me you must never go to the beach.

Besides that, wow, you get to enjoy the NJ beaches for 3 months a year.
Guess you are not a beach person afterall.

The topic is do you miss Florida and boy you must miss it because you have been in Jerzee for a while and still trying to convince people that Jerzee is so much better then Florida.

Let me break it to you..... JERSEY BETTER THEN FLORIDA??--- NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

If I wanted to go to a carnival flea market state fair like atmosphere Ocean City is I can do it at home.
I have my opinion and you have yours. I do not agree with your opinion. Will you please stop stalking my posts.

BTW, considering NJ is one of the smallest states in the union yet it is one of the most populated should tell you many want to live here.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:07 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:

Yeah only as a kid, once I got probably past 16... I probably only went and laid on the beach 1-2 times a year tops. Really isn't a perk to me anymore, neither are the hot days to enjoy it...I'd rather not get sun cancer and laying at the beach or jumping in the water is rather boring. and those are the ONLY perks I could think of FL has an advantage to of other states. I lived in FL 22 years and never ONCE went to Disney...hate that kind of inauthentic stuff. So if you want to be a beach bum and love the scorching weather or like the whole theme park/golf scene, by all means move to FL... if you are of any other persuasion then FL probably not for you and you'd be better off elsewhere.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I have my opinion and you have yours. I do not agree with your opinion. Will you please stop stalking my posts.

BTW, considering NJ is one of the smallest states in the union yet it is one of the most populated should tell you many want to live here.

NOTE:

This is the Florida forum.

This topic is about people missing Florida, not NJ.

Would you please stop stalking the Florida forum with your hatefulness?

You no longer live in Florida and are posting how foolish people in Florida are in the NJ forum which is wrong! The only fools are those who could not make it in Florida and blame the state for their failures.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:

Thank you.

So Florida being the No. 3 state in population MEANS A TON OF PEOPLE WANT TO LIVE THERE !!!

Old 04-26-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Thank you.

So Florida being the No. 3 state in population MEANS A TON OF PEOPLE WANT TO LIVE THERE !!!
I would hope Florida had a bigger population then NJ, considering NJ is a fraction of the size of Florida. BTW, NJ is ranked 1st in the country for density, Florida is number 8.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
This topic is about people missing Florida, not NJ.
You need to re-read the topic. It is a question "Does anyone else miss Florida?". I am answering the question.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:53 AM

50 posts, read 167,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Have any of you moved away from Florida, and can't wait to get back? Miss it? What do you miss the most?
Oh my goodness, yes - I miss it terribly!!!

I grew up in central FL (outskirts of Orlando). Of course, back in the 60's and even early 70's, Orlando was a totally different place than it is now. It was an entirely different world then, I really miss the way things were then. But even with all the changes, I still love Florida, and it will forever be "home" to me. I lived in various places around central FL, lived in St Pete for some time, down in Naples for a few years, then back in Orlando for a while again. We would have preferred staying in Naples, but a job change made us move back to Orlando. That was fine, as long as we were in FL. I wouldn't want to live in Orlando again now- but I miss Florida so bad, it hurts.

We had to move up here to northern Alabama a few years ago for a variety of reasons & we've both been utterly miserable since. Hubby is from this area, and busted his butt to get out of here to begin with - now we're stuck in this hell-hole again. I HATE the cold weather!!! It might not be as bad as northern cold, but it still does get quite cold here & stays cold. This last winter was especially bad - we both felt like we were prisoners in our own home - we couldn't go outside at all unless we wanted to get chilled to the bone. I hate the "southern" culture that is prevalent here, and it is so much more expensive here. Housing itself is cheaper, but OMG, everything else is so much higher. Food, gas, taxes, utilities - all the day-to-day living expenses are SOOO much higher here than in any location in FL we ever lived.

I MISS the hot weather! I miss the beaches & ocean so much. I wasn't into sunbathing or just sitting/laying around in one spot, but I loved to just stroll along the beach for miles or swim in the ocean for hours & hours on end. I LIKE the feel of sand between my toes and the smell of the saltwater, I love watching the pelicans & dolphins, finding shells, watching the sandpipers scurry about, and so forth. I miss water, water, everywhere! I hate being land-locked with no significant body of water close by, other than one grungy dirty river.

I miss a "tropical" sunny Christmas, and wearing shorts in December, and being able to be outside any time of year without piling on multiple layers of clothing. I don't even like to wear long sleeves, much less several thicknesses of clothing. Let me sit around in a tank top, shorts & flip-flops in January, and I'm happy as a clam!! I miss my friends who are still in Florida. I miss so much about living in Florida! I miss seeing shuttle launches up close & feeling the ground rumble under your feet during blast-off. I miss airboat rides through the swamps. I miss seeing gators!! And sandhill cranes & cattle egrets.

Thankfully, hubby feels the same way I do & wants to get back to Florida just as badly as I do. We finally decided enough is enough - we would do WHATEVER it took, in order to get back to Florida. We're going to sell our home here, knowing that we will have to take a big loss on it in order to sell it quickly, we're selling all our possessions in order to make moving as simple as possible, and we're packing what few things will fit in the van & we're COMING HOME!!!! It is worth it to us to lose money on the house, and lose material belongings, just to be back HOME where we belong!

Gawd, I start crying every time I think about getting back there - for a while now, it had seemed impossible - but now there's a light at the end of the tunnel with a glimmer of hope.

It will probably take a few months before we can make it - we're hoping by late summer. I'm not counting the days, I'm counting the *hours*!!! After 3 long depressing miserable years, I'm finally going back home!!!! Wish us luck getting rid of our house here just as quickly as possible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida