Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2020, 05:45 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
-Authorities and opinion givers need to provide a balanced set of solutions. I feel like it's government vs. personal preventative health instead of there being a balance of both. Yes, we need government for effective widespread testing. We need our leaders telling us to follow the mask, distance and hygiene recommendations. But we also need a stronger message of "a lot of these preexisting conditions are preventable so get ready now so the next virus doesn't get you." So many times, we act like it's an either/or when the solution is an "and" solution.
Alas, working toward better holistic health is seen as one of those uppity California approaches to life by so many 'conservatives'. (See obesity rates along the West Coast compared to the Deep South where all the so-called good 'merikans live) When I talk about how I'm trying to avoid covid because I have plans for ramping back up to half marathons and possibly longer in 2021, and I'm concerned about the possibility of covid lung damage, people can't change the subject fast enough/look at me like I'm growing a third eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 06:42 PM

189 posts, read 195,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I think the biggest issue is that there is no projected end date. But the again, when a segment of the population refuses to comply, that only prolongs the misery.
"Refuse to comply". Are you kidding me? That is the scariest language I have seen on this forum yet. Over a virus with these stats:

COVID-19 SURVIVAL RATES (per CDC):
Ages 0-19: 99.997%
Ages 20-49: 99.98%
Ages 50-69: 99.5%
Ages 70+: 94.6%

Sept 24, 2020

Wow I don't know what to do for you. You just expect "compliance" This is the USA dude. Fought a few wars over the centuries to avoid that. We don't just follow along because the so called authorities that the media gives attention to say so. You know that the propaganda of social distancing, masks, and lockdowns are very very sketchy. I think back to the Brits after the Revolutionary War saying about our new republic.."If you can keep it". Our republican form of government will be under threat from citizens like you who just expect us to "comply". Go to to Cuba, you might be a better fit there.

side note: USA is a republic not a "democracy". A democracy in its purest form is a very scary thing for the 49% or less. That is why the Bill of Rights had to be instituted before the Constitution was ratified. Call the Bill of Rights the first law in the USA brought in to project minorities. And there is no smaller minority than the individual.

Old 10-23-2020, 07:03 PM

407 posts, read 388,825 times
No way the survival rates are that low. The survival rates are higher for people who contracted AIDS in the same time frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
"Refuse to comply". Are you kidding me? That is the scariest language I have seen on this forum yet. Over a virus with these stats:

Sept 24, 2020

Wow I don't know what to do for you. You just expect "compliance" This is the USA dude. Fought a few wars over the centuries to avoid that. We don't just follow along because the so called authorities that the media gives attention to say so. You know that the propaganda of social distancing, masks, and lockdowns are very very sketchy. I think back to the Brits after the Revolutionary War saying about our new republic.."If you can keep it". Our republican form of government will be under threat from citizens like you who just expect us to "comply". Go to to Cuba, you might be a better fit there.

side note: USA is a republic not a "democracy". A democracy in its purest form is a very scary thing for the 49% or less. That is why the Bill of Rights had to be instituted before the Constitution was ratified. Call the Bill of Rights the first law in the USA brought in to project minorities. And there is no smaller minority than the individual.

Old 10-23-2020, 08:00 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,407,005 times
Should be interesting. Flu season starts soon. Since COVID-19 is new, we don't know how (or even if) it will combine with influenza yet. But we're about to find out.

I got my flu shot. But even that isn't a 100% guarantee that I won't catch or carry some new strain of influenza. It's just a significant risk reduction.

Old 10-24-2020, 09:58 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post

Sept 24, 2020

I write a pamphlet's worth of text and you single out a couple of sentences. Spare me the blah blah history and civics lesson.

Given the non-COVID crazy events of the past 6-7 months, I guess "comply" is only a bad word when it comes to recommendations to COVID. But regardless of what the local, state, or federal government mandates, the big corporations with their own legal departments (i.e. Starbucks, Walmart, Publix, etc.) have mandated masks, and when I shop there, I will comply just like I do with shirts and shoes. A business's right to conduct operations as they please is not limited to wedding cakes.

Bye

Old 10-24-2020, 02:26 PM

Masks don’t work. Even the Surgeon General said so. This is an attempt to bring shariah law to America. Also, this suggestion by the CDC that 6% of 70 year olds die within a few months of contracting the disease is bogus. Almost all 70 year olds have some other health condition so it was not the COVID that killed them.

Old 10-24-2020, 04:00 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,539,060 times
NY Times: LONDON — From France to Russia, from Britain to the Czech Republic, European leaders are confronting a surge in coronavirus cases that is rapidly filling hospital beds, driving up death tolls and raising the grim prospect of further lockdowns in countries already traumatized by the pandemic.

The continent, which once compared favorably to the United States in its handling of the pandemic, is being engulfed by a second wave of infection. With an average of more than 100,000 new infections per day over the past week, Europe now accounts for about one-third of new cases reported worldwide.

Italy, which has basically done everything Fauci has encouraged us to do here in the US, is also seeing a huge spike in new cases. Meanwhile, the draconian shut downs have severely impacted the Italian economy.

Old 10-24-2020, 04:26 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
NY Times: LONDON — From France to Russia, from Britain to the Czech Republic, European leaders are confronting a surge in coronavirus cases that is rapidly filling hospital beds, driving up death tolls and raising the grim prospect of further lockdowns in countries already traumatized by the pandemic.

The continent, which once compared favorably to the United States in its handling of the pandemic, is being engulfed by a second wave of infection. With an average of more than 100,000 new infections per day over the past week, Europe now accounts for about one-third of new cases reported worldwide.

Italy, which has basically done everything Fauci has encouraged us to do here in the US, is also seeing a huge spike in new cases. Meanwhile, the draconian shut downs have severely impacted the Italian economy.
You left out these enlightening paragraphs:

<<In an about-face, [Netherlands] Prime Minister Mark Rutte issued “strong advice” for people to wear masks inside public places. The Dutch authorities had long said that masks provided a false sense of security, emphasizing other forms of social distancing. Mr. Rutte said his government would seek to make them legally obligatory.

The aversion to masks, experts say, could help explain why the Netherlands is suffering such a serious spike, despite being wealthy and well-organized, with one of the best health care systems in the world. It also has a lack of testing capacity, which has prompted the Dutch to consider hiring labs in Abu Dhabi.>>

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/14/w...ronavirus.html

Despite the ridiculous posts of the science deniers in this thread, mask wearing does reduce COVID-19 transmission rates significantly.

Compare the U.S. and Europe with Asian nations with low rates of cases, deaths, and transmission and one or more of proven public health measures are lacking: 1) mask wearing, 2) robust testing linked to robust contact tracing, and 3) enforced quarantine measures for those who test positive for COVID-19.

Given the proliferation of self-victimizing pseudo-liberty lovers that are so prolific and outspoken in this nation, I have to think what would happen if we ever in a war or other national catastrophe that would require rationing. Oh, yeah, these disgusting champions of "freedom" from mask wearing are indifferent to mounting rates of food insecurity, homelessness, and significant percentages of those suffering health deficiencies among those were infected but didn't die. They are oblivious to the needless cost burdens being imposed on the American health care system, and the massive cost to the U.S. economy.

Finally, they champion cutting edge treatments such as antibody cocktails made available to political hacks such as Chris Christie, but not to the doctors, nurses, front line responders, etc., who should have first priority. Why are persons who needlessly exposed themselves to the virus by not wearing masks be given preferential treatment when health care workers who deal with a shortage of personal protection equipment are ignored???

https://www.businessinsider.com/chri...avirus-2020-10

Old 10-24-2020, 08:36 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbrown View Post
Masks don’t work. Even the Surgeon General said so. This is an attempt to bring shariah law to America. Also, this suggestion by the CDC that 6% of 70 year olds die within a few months of contracting the disease is bogus. Almost all 70 year olds have some other health condition so it was not the COVID that killed them.
That surgeon general remark was made in February/March due to fears that there would be mask hoarding like was the case for H9N1. Because the United States failed to have an ample supply of N95s on hand and also because virtually all mask manufacturing left the country in 2006, they came up with that as a stalling measure to get supplies to medical workers. But then the feds tied that up, so the states were left to smuggle in their own PPE, some of which were caught and confiscated by the feds.

https://www.axios.com/surgeon-genera...4f3e61bf3.html

https://www.salon.com/2020/04/21/sta...jared-kushner/

In regard to COVID deaths, it has been common knowledge in the general public that COVID acts as an acceleration agent for other conditions. There was no misleading about that. People claim that the CDC "quietly" updated their website in August or September to indicate that only 6% of deaths were from COVID and that the other 94% was from comorbidities. That was not new information, but just an attempt to mislead the public by those spreading it on social media. If you do a WayBackMachine on that website, the data was there as early as May 11 with the COVID only figure being 7%.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200511...#Comorbidities

People say that "masks don't work" because they see most of the general public complying when out and about and obviously cases are still increasing. But what doesn't get said is what I've been saying on this forum for a couple of months. I bet most people aren't catching it at Publix or Walmart. We are doing a good job following the guidelines with strangers, which we have always done. I wasn't shaking hands and hugging random people at the store. But our guards go down when we are around familiar people. I've been guilty myself.

Well, I guess what I've been saying is starting to get out. Two high schools in Orlando have closed down for two-week periods because of COVID cases, and both outbreaks were traced to off-campus birthday parties. Masks and distancing in the schools, but most likely not the case at these parties.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/oran...BHHTRWKXVEQNM/

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/...birthday-party

And no....I don't want this to last forever.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:07 AM

The way I look at it, the survival rate is 100% The disease may shorten your life , sure. But so does tobacco, alcohol, sugar, and many other things and we don’t lock down the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida