Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 08:43 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal View Post
I'm not defending dog bites at all. Simply stating facts. Sorry but all large dogs are loaded weapons. Unfortunately most people neglect to understand this. Dogs do make decisions. And they react to what they perceive in the moment. How is your dog supposed to know if a person is coming in the door to harm the family or not? You have to make that judgement for him. If you are not seen by that dog as pack leader, he will make that decision on his own and not look to you for the answer. If you were not there when the guy came through the door, he was forced to make the judgement on his own in that moment. Sorry, but you can't expect a dog to think things out like a human or just except any 'ole body through the door. You also can't honestly expect a dog to be pulled around by it's tail and not defend itself. To say they shouldn't bite under any circumstances is beyond silly. That's just flat out rediculous. That's precisely the mindset that leads to many bites.
My oldest shar-pei is unpredictable. As a responsible dog owner, I am careful about who comes to the house, and keep him outdoors at times. l

In Dade County they have outlawed pit-bulls- Why? because of people's stupidity, abusing and training them to dog-fight. People (some, at least) are supposed to have the brains. The animal does what it is trained to do, to survive. Thank God there are more felony statutes enacted now, to protect dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 08:49 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,195,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
My oldest shar-pei is unpredictable. As a responsible dog owner, I am careful about who comes to the house, and keep him outdoors at times. l

In Dade County they have outlawed pit-bulls- Why? because of people's stupidity, abusing and training them to dog-fight. People (some, at least) are supposed to have the brains. The animal does what it is trained to do, to survive. Thank God there are more felony statutes enacted now, to protect dogs.
So what have you done that would cause your dog to bite? If we follow the logic of the other poster you must have taught the dog to act like that.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:13 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
No. That is disingenuous. He was born in a puppy mill, and I rescued him. Like a child who was beaten by his parents. I rescued him, so it is a positive story, if you care to hear it.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal View Post
I'm not defending dog bites at all. Simply stating facts. Sorry but all large dogs are loaded weapons. Unfortunately most people neglect to understand this. Dogs do make decisions. And they react to what they perceive in the moment. How is your dog supposed to know if a person is coming in the door to harm the family or not? You have to make that judgement for him. If you are not seen by that dog as pack leader, he will make that decision on his own and not look to you for the answer. If you were not there when the guy came through the door, he was forced to make the judgement on his own in that moment. Sorry, but you can't expect a dog to think things out like a human or just except any 'ole body through the door. You also can't honestly expect a dog to be pulled around by it's tail and not defend itself. To say they shouldn't bite under any circumstances is beyond silly. That's just flat out rediculous. That's precisely the mindset that leads to many bites.
I have seen dogs dragged by their tails, ears and everything else by small kids who don't know any better and they may try to get away but never use it as a trigger to maul a child to death. If that was the case there would be no dogs of any kind in homes with children. And yes, if I have children, I do expect if the dog gets it's tail pulled to not defend him/her self.

Old 03-04-2007, 01:39 PM

364 posts, read 527,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
The only reason I would ever want a BIG, BIG property (land) would be so that I could take in every homeless, abused, unwanted dog in creation. I wish I had more land right now but my two dogs are more than enough at the moment. I've been wanting a 3rd dog and I'm crazy enough that I may just do it soon. They do cost a fortune to maintain properly though. Between shots, spaying/neutering, microchip, flea & tick, heartworm, food, treats, toys, and obedience training.....darn stuff adds up! Not to mention any unplanned problems.
You sound like me! I've been voluntering and working with rescues for years. I currently have five dogs (just lost my eldest ) and only live in a 3,300 square foot home. I plan to take on a sixth this summer. I try to do all I can. As far as the cost I make it 'managable'. My fiance knows there is no cost for me on giving a beautiful furkid a loving and safe home. There are always other areas for ME to cut back on unessecary spending.

Old 03-04-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
I have seen dogs dragged by their tails, ears and everything else by small kids who don't know any better and they may try to get away but never use it as a trigger to maul a child to death. If that was the case there would be no dogs of any kind in homes with children. And yes, if I have children, I do expect if the dog gets it's tail pulled to not defend him/her self.
You expect if a dog is being harmed, annoyed, bothered by a little twirp AKA kid to just ignore it? Do you know how insane that is? Do you know they have feelings, aches and pains? Oh ok, so someones misbehaved spolied kid is hurting the animal they should just stand there? NO- why don't the parents of these monsters teach there kids not to do it? Imagine if the dog wasn't feeling well and the twirp thought it would be more fun then it's toys to hurt it? It is the parents job to teach kidness towards animals! I hope you choose one or the other- but don't make a dog live with you and your kids that are not taught kindness or household rules.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:37 PM

598 posts, read 2,269,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post

Like I said, every single dog I ever knew growing up had bitten someone at some point. Most often because one of the kids was picking on it and it got sick of the torment. Ya know what? We learned not to do that! Or parents told us we would get bitten and we did... and all of our folks said "see that's what you get for tormenting the poor dog!" We learned to respect the animal.
So your assessment that most dogs don't bite kids is incorrect.

90% of reported dog attacks are on a family member at home, half being boys under 12. All kinds if dogs DO bite kids all the time! Very few are fatal. Did you know that getting bitten by a dog is the second most frequent reason for childen going to emergency rooms? Seriously, out of 800,000 dog bites each year, less than 20 are fatal... only 1/3 of those are pits. This hysteria is so overblown and not founded in fact at all. It's just emotional knee-jerk fear. Did you know there was a mauling death by a polmeranian? It's true.

Any one who allows a child to torment a dog, ANY dog, is setting the stage for an attack. The really "nice" quiet dogs are the ones who can really lash out unpredicably because they take alot of abuse and don't offer clear signs of attacking until they totally feel so desparate, they just "snap". These are the ones who you will say "He's always been a nice dog. He never would hurt a fly. I don't know why he just snapped." Yeah, teach your children to treat animals with respect and stop blaming the dog for a trying to protect itself. You wouldn't put up with being dragged around by your ears but you expect a defenseless pup to suffer this abuse? If you truly believe what you are saying, my advice is don't own dogs. That attitude doesn't work well with dog psychology. Or at least do some very serious study on dog psychology and behavior before having another. Honestly, they don't think or see the world like we typically believe they do. Expecting dogs to be perfect on our terms is unrealistic.

Last edited by summergal; 03-04-2007 at 05:04 PM..

Old 03-04-2007, 05:04 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,077 times
I have had dogs all my life and not one of my dogs has ever bit anyone. I find it amazing that so many people have dogs that bite.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I have had dogs all my life and not one of my dogs has ever bit anyone. I find it amazing that so many people have dogs that bite.
Same for me too. 11 dogs myself and 14 for my parents and no bites. It is up to the owners to teach them. As well as the children. It's just one more thing parents have to do if YOU deciede to have kids. You have to teach them to be kind to animals.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjbrent View Post
You expect if a dog is being harmed, annoyed, bothered by a little twirp AKA kid to just ignore it? Do you know how insane that is? Do you know they have feelings, aches and pains? Oh ok, so someones misbehaved spolied kid is hurting the animal they should just stand there? NO- why don't the parents of these monsters teach there kids not to do it? Imagine if the dog wasn't feeling well and the twirp thought it would be more fun then it's toys to hurt it? It is the parents job to teach kidness towards animals! I hope you choose one or the other- but don't make a dog live with you and your kids that are not taught kindness or household rules.
Putting the welfare of a dog above a child, now that is insane. It is nothing but a dog and if it bites or is a threat in any way it should be put to sleep. Some of these people and their animals are ridiculous.

Last edited by Yorkie_Mom; 03-04-2007 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: Don't need to add the web site
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida