Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 02:24 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,219,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I was wondering.... what do you all think about seeing-eye dogs? They are usually trained for this job starting at a very young age, but not always. Blind and visually handicapped people put their lives in the hands (paws) of these animals. They can be purebreed or mixed. Trainers can usually tell which ones will respond appropriately. But have you thought about how these dogs cross busy intersections, have to deal with cars, bikes, crazy pedestrians, bad weather, get on public transportation, get shoved, pushed and stepped on, yet their "master" is the only thing that matters and these dogs will put up with anything that comes their way.

I think they are just amazing. They must be when we have to put all our trust in them.
I think that seeing eye dogs should be put down, too. They think they're all that just because they can come into restaurants and malls. I'm sick of them rubbing it in the face of my dog, all high and mighty. And some of them have those little vests, just like the safety patrols in elementary school. I just see no use for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 02:26 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,164,696 times
now HIF, sit. :-)
I know you can't be serious!

Old 03-13-2007, 03:29 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,219,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
now HIF, sit. :-)
I know you can't be serious!
ROFLMAO- No, not hardly They really are amazing. And the ones that can predict a seizure. And have you read about dogs that can sniff out cancer? They are doing studies on them.

I really love dogs. My 11 YO dobie mix has three legs- she was just under a year and had the stitches when I got her from Animal Control. She had been a stray and was hit by a car. I used to take her to my kids' preschool and the children would sit in a big circle on the floor and I'd walk her around for them to pet. Then they would ask all kinds of questions about her. Several times, a kids would raise his hand and say, "I have a dog, but it has four legs." As if his family had selected a different model or something!

BTW, even at 11, my kids can be halfway up the stairs and the dog will beat them to the top from the ground floor. Only thing she can't do is scratch behind her left ear. That's my job!

Old 03-13-2007, 03:56 PM

9 posts, read 27,825 times
Default You All are Hillarious!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
I think that seeing eye dogs should be put down, too. They think they're all that just because they can come into restaurants and malls. I'm sick of them rubbing it in the face of my dog, all high and mighty. And some of them have those little vests, just like the safety patrols in elementary school. I just see no use for them.
I Love Seeing eye Dogs. They are good workers, Also they Use Extreme Selective Breeding and they begin the process of testing for temperment and from the day they are born they are adjusted to human handling useing extreme care they are put threw a number of types of handleling to prepare them for what they will go through in their adult ages. Out of all the pups they say that only one or two out of 5 will make Aid Dogs. The others are adopted out or live with foster families.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
ROFLMAO- No, not hardly They really are amazing. And the ones that can predict a seizure. And have you read about dogs that can sniff out cancer? They are doing studies on them.

I really love dogs. My 11 YO dobie mix has three legs- she was just under a year and had the stitches when I got her from Animal Control. She had been a stray and was hit by a car. I used to take her to my kids' preschool and the children would sit in a big circle on the floor and I'd walk her around for them to pet. Then they would ask all kinds of questions about her. Several times, a kids would raise his hand and say, "I have a dog, but it has four legs." As if his family had selected a different model or something!

BTW, even at 11, my kids can be halfway up the stairs and the dog will beat them to the top from the ground floor. Only thing she can't do is scratch behind her left ear. That's my job!
Oh that is such a nice story. So you will scratch it for her right? I hope so!!

Old 03-13-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftraxs View Post
I Love Seeing eye Dogs. They are good workers, Also they Use Extreme Selective Breeding and they begin the process of testing for temperment and from the day they are born they are adjusted to human handling useing extreme care they are put threw a number of types of handleling to prepare them for what they will go through in their adult ages. Out of all the pups they say that only one or two out of 5 will make Aid Dogs. The others are adopted out or live with foster families.
Yes they are really awesome. I'm glad to say that every single one I've ever seen looks very well taken care of too.
I saw a patient today with a yellow lab that was the most beautiful lab I have seen in a l o n g time. I wanted to take it home but you're not supposed to pet them when they are "working".

Old 03-13-2007, 09:41 PM

4 posts, read 16,468 times
i am an animal lover, my friend had a pit named gizmo and weighed about 150 lbs. and was the sweetest dog i ever seen. my neighbor has a pit name jeannie and she is fabulous. i think they are like any other dog. except of the powerful jaws they have. i live in broward county, florida and they have not been banned yet. so i hope you find a great place in florida to live with the dogs. i have two cats and have four other cats that came from the neighbor hood and adopted us.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:00 AM

35 posts, read 161,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpInFtMyers View Post
After years in animal rescue, I can tell you exactly why they call pitbulls "bulldogs" or even sometimes "boxer/mixed breed", and that is so that the dog will actually have a chance at getting placed into a home. Believe me, they do know the difference. I, for one, am not against any breed of dog. After years and years of working with dogs and training them, I am of the opinion that these so-called "dangerous breeds" are just wearing a different outfit of clothing. These so-called "dangerous" breeds are very simply physically powerful and extremely intelligent, and oftentimes, these dogs are paired with not-so-intelligent owners. Whenever you hear about a dog attack, there is always an owner who didn't properly socialize the animal, kept it away from other animals and people outside the home, had it chained to a tree outside, or let it run loose. Dogs kept that way are going to be territorial and going to bite out of fear. I personally think a list of the owners needs to be kept, rather than listing the dog or breed of dog as "dangerous". The irresponsible owners of these dogs are the dangerous ones. Glad you are a pitbull - and dog - enthusiast, Moving-Soon, and I wish you the best of luck with your relocation.
THANKS A MILLION!! and a big hug to you for being in the rescue business. my heart goes out to you. AND A BIG YES that it is the owners NOT the breed!! Sorry i couldnt reply, been offline for about 10 days

Old 03-16-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:

OMG!!! i seriously thought you were SERIOUS about putting them down, SORRY!!!!

Old 03-16-2007, 10:06 AM

You are into sharpei's sp??? they are wonderful too, thanks for your positive note! help is just spreading the word around that pits CAN be wonderful pets!! thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida